Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Couture

Randy Couture

For those who are more on the up and up with regards to UFC stuff...

I just finished reading Randy Couture's autobiography where he talks about signing a 4-fight contract with the UFC, fighting two fights and then backing out.

***BOOK SPOILER TO FOLLOW***

He stops the book saying that at the time he finished the book, he was still in negotiations as to whether he had to fight or not and that it was going to lawyers.

So with his upcoming fight, does anyone know for sure if he was made to fight this fight (legally)?

Just curious as to where I could find this info, too.

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I think (do not quote me) he settled out of court. From what I have read, if he wins he will get a shot at Nogueira, then, perhaps, maybe, Fedor.
    In all honesty Randy is ****ed if he does, ****ed if he doesn't. Dana White is a douche. Though that is not new news.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    I think (do not quote me) he settled out of court. From what I have read, if he wins he will get a shot at Nogueira, then, perhaps, maybe, Fedor.
    In all honesty Randy is ****ed if he does, ****ed if he doesn't. Dana White is a douche. Though that is not new news.
    Jake
    Thanks Jake.

In his book he pointed out that after fighting the two fights out of four that he faxed his resignation because Dana was always messing around with things financially - paying the newcomers these top salaries with fighting bonuses. He said it's not all about the money - it's about the respect that it means when you get paid like the newbies do.

Thanks for the info.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

To put things in perspective Randy was making around $75000 a fight while Chuck (Dana's little *****) was making millions! (Don't quote me on the numbers, but something crazy like that!!)
    Randy is 45 years old, and will retire soon. Dana never gave him the respect that he deserves in paying him to fight, and ultimately make a HUGE name for the UFC. Too bad, but what can one expect from a redneck hillbilly from the south?
    Last edited by Oso; 11-05-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: ooops, hit the wrong button
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Randy and the UFC settled out of court. He then signed a new 3 fight deal, with his first fight being Brock.

As for his pay vs. Chucks:

In UFC 52 (their second fight): Randy got $150K Chuck got paid $10K less and won.

In UFC 57 (last fight) Liddel got $250K and Couture got $225K.

What really happened in reargds to what people "deserve" is up in the air. UFC's top pay was Brock getting $250K in his loss to Mir.

This is compared to Tim Sylvia getting $800K to get destroyed in 36 seconds by FEdor, who made $300K....MMA pay structure is FUBAR due to the sport being so new.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Thanks for the clarification.
    It certainly is FUBAR-ed! Too bad, but I hope it will level out.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

All the $$ and Randy vs Dana nonsense aside, its still f'd up that random Brock gets to fight the Heavyweight Champion of the World after a loss to near-random Mir.

Crazyness. Its like the 80's of Boxing all over again.

strike!

But worse!

strike!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    [QUOTE=Three Harmonies;893412]To put things in perspective Randy was making around $75000 a fight while Chuck (Dana's little *****) was making millions! (Don't quote me on the numbers, but something crazy like that!!)
    Randy is 45 years old, and will retire soon. Dana never gave him the respect that he deserves in paying him to fight, and ultimately make a HUGE name for the UFC. Too bad, but what can one expect from a redneck hillbilly from the south?[/QUOTE]

hey!!!!! not cool
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    All the $$ and Randy vs Dana nonsense aside, its still f'd up that random Brock gets to fight the Heavyweight Champion of the World after a loss to near-random Mir.

Crazyness. Its like the 80's of Boxing all over again.

Near-random ex-heavyweight champion Mir?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

Hate to point this out, but the UFC has bent over backwards to help out Randy in the past.

Randy is a heavyweight and loses the title, he then quits. Randy decides to come back as a lightheavy weight and is given the interim title shot while Tito Ortiz is out. Randy eventually loses the LHW and then "retires". Randy decides to come back as a HW again and it given a title shot against Sylvia.

Look at Randy's record, it is a little above average for the top MMA fighters, and his age is a factor. Randy signed a contract, he didn't have to. But, he did. Randy wanted out of the contract because he wanted to fight Fedor and the UFC couldn't get him. All this other BS is just that, an attempt to make the UFC look bad to justify him trying to leave.

I like Randy and he is one of my favorite fighters, but Dana wasn't the only one acting juvenile in this.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Oso - not cool, but true.

Kevin -
    You have a good point, but I do not agree 100%. At 45, two time champ, with only really one fight anyone wants to see (Fedor) what do you expect from the guy? Dana was making promises that he was getting Fedor, but because of his douche-baggery Fedor will not sign. Randy ain't getting any younger, and it does not make sense to fight every young up and comer that comes up the ladder of heavyweights! Eventually he would get hurt.

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Randy Couture vs. Rocky Balboa...
    ------
    Jason

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Jake

not cool is ascribing a particular trait to a particular subset of society.

that would be like saying "what do you expect from a black guy from chicago?"
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Is it true redneck hillbillies from the South have no sense of humour?

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan