Thread: new PR's: squat 300 x 5 (no belt), bench 230 x 5 (vids)

new PR's: squat 300 x 5 (no belt), bench 230 x 5 (vids)

300 x 5 squat: (no belt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7fCKKRylU

230 x 5 bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbTcPrT5FU

my nephew was filming and just managed to accidentally catch the plates each time at the end of the videos
    where's my beer?

Awesome stuff GDA. At what bodyweight?

I arch like that on bench, dunno if as much but I'd have to film it to be sure. Feels like that much though.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    congrats dude.

isn't that much arching really bad for you?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    300 x 5 squat: (no belt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7fCKKRylU

230 x 5 bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbTcPrT5FU

my nephew was filming and just managed to accidentally catch the plates each time at the end of the videos
    Well done muffin and don't arch so much you *****.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    isn't that much arching really bad for you?
    It's a powerlifting technique. I've been arching for years. It reduces the distance you have to press and recruits the back more. AFAIK it's not a problem as long as you keep things tight in the back and stomach. Hasn't been for me so far, touch wood. As long as you're tight there isn't really a significant load along the vertical axis of your spine so I can't see how it's going to cause damage. Squat and DL put far more load on the lower back, and GDA's squat form looks good to my amateur eyes, no big arch at all. But yeah, he does have a righteous arch going on while benching. Like I say, mine feels like that but maybe doesn't look like that.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

thanks guys. body weight is currently around 160.
    where's my beer?

you > me

Arching protects your back. It's like the opposite of the people at the gym who put their feet up on the bench while they are bench pressing. That's dumb for two reasons:

1. It straightens out your back (this is weightlifting, not qigong)

2. You lose stability because your feet aren't on the floor. If you start to fall, you are F'ed.

Dude I'm jealous. I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."

Keep up the awesome work!
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    you > me

Arching protects your back. It's like the opposite of the people at the gym who put their feet up on the bench while they are bench pressing. That's dumb for two reasons:

1. It straightens out your back (this is weightlifting, not qigong)

2. You lose stability because your feet aren't on the floor. If you start to fall, you are F'ed.

Dude I'm jealous. I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."

Keep up the awesome work!

thanks man.

whats been keepin ya out of the gym?
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."
    My wife used the phrase "puny" to describe me recently, since I'd been doing a lot of surfing in the mornings and not so much weights . My MA teacher also said I'd lost weight. Surfing for a couple of hours before breakfast every day -> skin and bones.

That's some heavy-ass weights. You need to start screaming "lite-wait, yea baybee!" During each effort. Will increase your qi.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'd been doing a lot of surfing in the mornings and not so much weights . My MA teacher also said I'd lost weight. Surfing for a couple of hours before breakfast every day -> skin and bones.
    I thought you meant "surfing (the internet)" at first. I was like how the hell does that cause you to lose weight (unless you're surfing instead of eating lol)?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's a powerlifting technique. I've been arching for years. It reduces the distance you have to press and recruits the back more. AFAIK it's not a problem as long as you keep things tight in the back and stomach. Hasn't been for me so far, touch wood. As long as you're tight there isn't really a significant load along the vertical axis of your spine so I can't see how it's going to cause damage. Squat and DL put far more load on the lower back, and GDA's squat form looks good to my amateur eyes, no big arch at all. But yeah, he does have a righteous arch going on while benching. Like I say, mine feels like that but maybe doesn't look like that.
    Check. Thanks.

I have never tried to flatten my back, and I keep my feet on the floor, but I thought I was taught (way back in the 80s in HS) to not let more than a natural curve develop...could be old thoughts though.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

squat capped out at 310 x 3. i have a vid but its depressing. on saturday i got the tripple like it was nothing. last night was supposed to be for 5 but i barely got the third. i decided to get sick at a very inconvenient time.

eh well . . . ill max as soon as i feel better then on to 20 rep squats. a little bummed a i hadnt even donned a belt on the 5x5 yet, but i think my body is telling me its ready for a change.
    where's my beer?