Thread: What branch of Korean MA has the most comprehensive kicking curriculum?

What branch of Korean MA has the most comprehensive kicking curriculum?

I've heard Tae Kwon Do..but on the other hand..some say Hwarang Do. I admit to being rather impressed by some of the kicks I saw in a recent issue of Black Belt Mag..some of them are hard to explain. If someone can pull them off..great. It just seems a little complicated.

I have heard TKD--most kicks
    Tang Soo Do--less kicks but more punches
    Hapkido--less kicks..more joint locks..

Can anyone clarify? I'd like to add to my kicking curriculum..and I want to make the best choice..

Theres also Kuk Sool Wan and a few others..Thanks.

LTN

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have studied TaeKwonDo, HapKiDo, and Tang Soo Do. In my experience, they all have the same kicks. Hwarangdo seems to have more variety, but quite honestly, it is up to the individual teacher.
    The Lee brothers' books on Hwarangdo, show a huge array of kicking techniques
    Chong Lee has a few books on kicking, and he is TKD, and he shows many variations of kicks.
    You need to check out the school-BIT, if you go to a decent school and develop your kicks well, then you can go buy the books by Chong Lee and the Hwarangdo books and develop your arsenal on your own. There are also many dvd's out now
    that teach kicking.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thai fighters generally have the best kicks from what I've seen.
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    I've heard Tae Kwon Do..but on the other hand..some say Hwarang Do. I admit to being rather impressed by some of the kicks I saw in a recent issue of Black Belt Mag..some of them are hard to explain. If someone can pull them off..great. It just seems a little complicated.

I have heard TKD--most kicks
    Tang Soo Do--less kicks but more punches
    Hapkido--less kicks..more joint locks..

Can anyone clarify? I'd like to add to my kicking curriculum..and I want to make the best choice..

Theres also Kuk Sool Wan and a few others..Thanks.

LTN
    Typically, ITF TKD has a close 50-50 or 60-40 ratio of kicks to hands.
    WTF is more 70-30, same thing for Tang Soo Do.
    Hapkido has a 50-50 balance and of course is well know for its standing joint locks.
    Hwarang do is, well...hwarang do.
    Kul Sol Won is very evenly balanced, but to be truthful, other than the uniform, it is almost identical to Hapkido.

In terms of variety, all korean systems share the same kicks.
    In terms of effectiveness, it is the KICKER, not the system.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah, I did Kuk Sool Won for close to 6 years and am pretty confident in saying they don't empahsize too much kicking in the curriculum.

I'ts mainly a joint locking system, and once you get past black belt they expect you to start doing more kicking but nothing too extensive. Other than the basic kicks (front, side, back, round, and the crecent kicks) they want you to demo the jumping variations and spinning variations of these kicks when you test.

From other media sources it seems like Kuk Sa Nim's sons are really pushing the 540 out there.

However it does depend on the instructor....from my experience however it was 80% joint locking and 20% striking. Until you get to black belt, and then its more like 75% 25%.

Thanks for the replies.

Sonju--what do you mean by "WTF is more 70-30". What is WTF? I'm pretty sure it is not "what the f-ck"..lol

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Sonju--what do you mean by "WTF is more 70-30". What is WTF? I'm pretty sure it is not "what the f-ck"..lol
    WTF = World Taekwon-do Federation, the "olympic" brand of TKD.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !