Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan vs Jet Li

Jet vs Jackie

I know this is a little gay, but I think Jackie's kung fu fights are a LOT better than Jet's. I mean Jackie's 70's and early 80's movies. When Jackie did a style it looked like that style. It may have been made up, but it was still good. His snake style looked like a snake style and etc.

Jet is very GOOD, but his movie kung fu seems a little generic looking. Only in some movies there was a difference.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that Jackie's drunken style is better.
    For traditional kung fu go to http://www.taishingpekkwar.com

Actually.....

I don't think anybody cares

Gay....
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Just because I am a fan of both the actors......

Jackies kung fu training is more combat oriented, Jet Lis' training is sport, Wushu. He does it more for the athleticism then the fighting.

Jackie Chan has seem to lost a step in doing some of the stuff he did in the 80's...prob. due to age and INJURIES( my god he's nuts )...Jet Li most impressive US pic so far is still Lethal Weapon 4. I love it when he does stuff without the WIREs.
    A

Isn't Jackie pushing 50? I think it's extraordinary that a guy his age, and with his medical history is even able to walk, much less still perform the kind of physical feats that he does in his movies. Sure, he's too gimpy to do all his own stunts anymore, but he gave us 20 years of incomprable wonder. I've totally lost count of the times I've rewound my vcr repeatedly muttering 'how the fazouk did he do that?' He also, by dint of constant study and pushing of his own limits, became one of the best fight coordinators and savviest directors action cinema has ever seen. That and the fact that he does make an attempt to make the fight scenes seem not only plausible (no wires) but realistic (ow, my hand hurts!) give him the edge as far as I'm concerned.

He is doubtless the #1 kungfu movie guy ever. Sorry Jet. Sorry Bruce. Sorry Bolo. Sorry Gordon. etc. I love you all, but Jackie - criminy, you saw him go at it with Benny Urquidez those two times, right? What can compete with that?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

What are the styles that either of the two have studied?

I'm going from memory here, so it's probably a little faulty.

Jackie got his first training in Peking Opera School, and learned all the theatrical stuff that looks like kung fu but really isn't. Later, after he had great flexibility, speed, and conditioning they began to teach him real martial arts of various chinese flavors, and he settled on an emphasizing Emei. Still later, he got pretty significantly good at CLF, WC, and Northern Mantis.

Jet got his first training at Peking Wushu Academy, and learned all the acrobatic stuff that looks like kung fu but really isn't. Later, after he had great flexibility, speed, and conditioning he took it upon himself to seek out masters of internal arts, especially the '3 sisters' and educate himself about them.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

jET Li cant fight his way outta a paperbag. He sux. but I enjoy some of his movies.
    My sifu once said that, Jackie is fun.. But hes CRAP. Still smile when thinking on that hehe..
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Kinda off topic

Chang style...what movies did Benny "The Jet" appear in? Also, my roomate swears that Bruce in his prime could take Jackie in his prime. I laugh every time I hear that, but I'd like to hear other opinions.Thanks.

Shadowboxer -

Mr. Urquidez was Jackie's final opponent in "Wheels on Meals" and then a year or so later in "Dragons Forever." I prefer the first fight, but the second is a better movie all around. He's been in other pictures, too, but I don't know of any that aren't a complete ripoff. You can look him up at http://IMDB.com if you're really interested. Naturally these are all choreographed fights and I'm certain don't show what he's really capable of. I don't know where to find ring footage - I'm sure someone will chime in.

As for Jackie and Bruce - no idea. Bruce undoubtedly was more interested in being the toughest fighter possible and worked very hard at it. But Jackie is tough as nails and scared of nothing. (I"m imagining that your hypothetical brawl is between the two of them in their respective peak conditions.)
    Crippled Avenger

Thanks

Chang...Thanks for the info. Yea, the hypo would be at their peaks. I think Jackie could also take Jet Li.

De Na Da

(that's the new system I'm developing thats based exclusively on joint locks, punching, and being polite in spanish)
    Crippled Avenger

Bruce would whoop both of `em!
    I hate his movies and Im not a fan of him,, but as I understand he was more of a martial artist than a movie star. ( atleast in the beginning)

Jackie and Jet have trained too be ENTERTEINERs. U do the math.

ugh.. cant believe I'm arguing about this
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

me either, Kristoffer

That said, of course Jackie is an entertainer. But I've seen his unenhanced speed in a dozen movies, and the kind of punishment he not only can take but apparently looks forward to in a dozen credit-crawl blooper reels. He's never been the guy who wants to bust your head wide open on general principles, but he's far from a tomato can.

Anyway, I've already explained what I think everyone's strengths are. There's no way we'll ever know the truth, and probably no way we could ever have known, since Jackie reached his peak years after Bruce's death.
    Crippled Avenger

Kristoffer....

Actually, Bruce wouldn't...wanna know why?? BECAUSE HE'S DEAD! That's why....lets leave him there, shall we.

Jackie and Jet are both good, but different, they both have had their moments, and they both have not...so there's no way to actually compare...especially since they have both had way different training!!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!