Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Expendables=jet li+sylvester stallone+jason statham

I thought it was a pretty good diversion for 100 minutes or so. Not something that you think too deeply about after it's over. I thought the Jet Li short man jokes were very lame, though, esp. the one from Crews. Jason Statham isn't exactly a tall man either, and neither is Stallone (who wrote it), he's just muscular.

I think Donnie Yen might have looked more at home in Jet Li's role. Donnie's onscreen persona is a lot harder. But unfortunately, Donnie's not a known name with the general American audience. And he still would have gotten the little man jokes. Plus, with the bad, jumpy camerawork, Donnie's MA would have probably been wasted, too. IMO, the best fight scene in the film was Jason Statham's about halfway through.

Still #1

Given last weekend's offerings, I suppose that was to be expected. It's all about timing for releases. There's not much this upcoming weekend either - Takers might unseat Expendables. There's also the Last Exorcism. The following weekend is Labor Day so there's the American, Machete and more.

Stallone's 'Expendables' retains crown with $16.5M
    By DAVID GERMAIN
    The Associated Press
    Sunday, August 22, 2010; 1:53 PM

LOS ANGELES -- Sylvester Stallone's "The Expendables" fought off an onslaught of newcomers to finish on top of the weekend box office again.

Lionsgate's "The Expendables" remained No. 1 for a second straight weekend with $16.5 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. Directed by and starring Stallone, the action romp about mercenaries aiming to overthrow a dictator raised its total to $64.9 million.

Five new wide releases debuted to crowd the market, but none managed to pack in huge audiences and knock off "The Expendables."

"Given all that competition in the marketplace, I don't think there was any guarantee we would hold this strong, but we did," said David Spitz, head of distribution for Lionsgate.

Leading the newcomers was 20th Century Fox's "Twilight" spoof "Vampires Suck" with $12.2 million, raising its total to $18.6 million since it opened Wednesday. The movie mocks the blockbuster franchise with a parody about a moody schoolgirl in a love triangle with a vampire and a werewolf.

"Vampires Suck" was in a photo finish for the No. 2 spot with another holdover, Julia Roberts' drama "Eat Pray Love." The Sony film about a divorced woman traveling the world in search of fulfillment pulled in $12 million to lift its total to $47.1 million.

The Warner Bros. comedy "Lottery Ticket," featuring rapper Bow Wow as a young man besieged by neighbors after he wins a $370 million jackpot, opened in fourth place with $11.1 million.
    ad_icon

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's cop comedy "The Other Guys" held up well in its third weekend, with the Sony release taking in $10.1 million and boosting its total to $88.2 million.

"The Other Guys" was in a tossup for No. 5 with the Weinstein Co. horror remake "Piranha 3D," which opened with $10 million. Inspired by the low-budget 1978 "Piranha," the update is set at a lake where spring-break partiers are consumed by prehistoric man-eating fish.

Universal's sequel "Nanny McPhee Returns," with Emma Thompson back as the homely title character whipping a wartime family into shape, opened at No. 7 with $8.3 million. The first film, 2006's "Nanny McPhee," debuted in fewer theaters but managed to pull in $14.5 million over opening weekend.

Bringing up the rear among new wide releases at No. 8 was Jennifer Aniston's single-mom comedy "The Switch," which debuted with $8.1 million. The Disney release features Aniston as a woman whose drunken friend (Jason Bateman) switches her sperm specimen at a party to celebrate her artificial insemination.

Surprisingly, the overall box office was down only slightly compared with the same weekend last year, when "Inglourious Basterds" fired up the normally quiet late summer with a $38.1 million opening and "District 9" held up well with an $18.2 million second weekend.

Revenues this weekend came in at $125 million, down just 1.7 percent from the same weekend a year ago, according to box-office tracker Hollywood.com.

"It was the collective strength of these five newcomers, plus the holdovers," said Paul Dergarabedian of Hollywood.com. "Inglourious Basterds" and "District 9" were "so unusually strong for August that it should have made the comparison tough for this year. But the industry threw everything they had at the wall this weekend and tried to see what would stick."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Expendables," $16.5 million.

2. "Vampires Suck," $12.2 million.

3. "Eat Pray Love," $12 million.

4. "Lottery Ticket," $11.1 million.

5. "The Other Guys," $10.1 million.

6. "Piranha 3D," $10 million.

7. "Nanny McPhee Returns," $8.3 million.

8. "The Switch," $8.1 million.

9. "Inception," $7.7 million.

10. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," $5 million.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

this is the weekend scott pilgrim should have came out it would have dominated.

Calling someone out on twitter doesn't count.

That's lamer than calling someone out on the forum here. If you're going to call someone out, you got to do it to their face.
    Sly Stallone Calls Out Van Damme on Twitter
    StarzLife
    By Charley on August 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm 0diggsdigg Buzz up!

Sylvester Stallone lives and dies by the “man book,” and in typical guy fashion, he’s been calling out rival action star Jean Claude Van Damme on Twitter today.

Van Damme turned down a part in Stallone’s #1 movie, The Expendables, and Sly is not letting him hear the end of it.

EXPENDABLES still blasting away. Thank you. Need a shoulder operation in two weeks. Another souvenir. No pain no gain. Remember that, Claude

I don’t mind getting hurt, it’s part of the job..please,. remember that, j claude..

If you not breaking things get a skirt and take up ballroom dancing …you men get it. we break things or get broken..

Stallone was probably hit with a thousand replies wither applauding him or calling him out for dissing JCVD, so he followed up with:

relax please, all action guys are bloody brothers, a brotherhood of respect…

Now that #1 was a success, we’ll see if Jean Claude signs on for the sequel!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I finally saw this

I know, I know, late to the boat...

I couldn't hang with Jet's character. It reminded me a lot of the Yen character in Ocean's 11, 12, 13 (although I don't think I've seen all of those). It was a terrible waste of talent.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I know, I know, late to the boat...

I couldn't hang with Jet's character. It reminded me a lot of the Yen character in Ocean's 11, 12, 13 (although I don't think I've seen all of those). It was a terrible waste of talent.
    its what happens when you have a bloated movie like that...i still havent watched it all the way through.

Lets be honest here, the movies was:
    People got punched in the face, kicked in the groin and **** got blowed up.
    Period.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Dave Callaham

The funny thing is that I don't remember a single thing about the plot of the Expendables now, just that it had a lot of old action stars...

SEPTEMBER 13, 2017 2:18pm PT by Borys Kit
    'The Expendables' Writer Joins Patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns to Write 'Wonder Woman 2' (Exclusive)

Clay Enos/Warner Bros.; Getty Images
    Patty Jenkins on set of 'Wonder Woman,' Dave Callaham

Dave Callaham already has a strong working relationship with the director, who brought the writer into the fold.

Dave Callaham, the co-writer of action movie The Expendables, has joined Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns on the writing team of Wonder Woman 2.

The move comes just days after Jenkins officially closed her deal to co-write, direct and produce the sequel to the Warner Bros. movie that earned more than $816 million worldwide while also earning raves from critics and fans.

Jenkins and Johns have been working on a treatment for several months and Callaham will now join the duo to pen the script.

The storyline is being kept under wraps, but Jenkins has said she wants to jump ahead by several decades from the first film, set in Europe during World War I, and have the sequel take place in America during the Cold War. And she has reportedly said that having the heroine’s signature invisible jet in a movie is of key importance.

Jenkins and Callaham already have a strong working relationship, and it was Jenkins that brought the writer into the fold. Jenkins was working with him on Jackpot, an English-language adaptation of a book by Jo Nesbo; that project was gearing up to be Jenkins’ next movie before she took on the assignment to direct Wonder Woman.

Callaham, in addition to originating Expendables, had a story by credit on the 2014 movie Godzilla and worked on a reboot of The Wolfman that is due to be part of Universal’s monster cinematic universe. He is also a writer-executive producer of the Amazon action comedy series Jean Claude van Johnson.

He is repped by UTA, Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and Hansen Jacobson.

Expendables
    & Wonder Woman 2
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips