Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expendables=jet li+sylvester stallone+jason statham

This has potential. Stallone can direct. I thought he did a good job with the last Rambo. I guess I'm curious if it is going to be a traditional action film or more martial arts oriented. If the latter, I hope Stallone gets a great person do design the fight scenes. Otherwise, I'm afraid we might get another WAR which was really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    sammo hung
    Sammo is good... and he can do dramatic acting as well as Li can (these days, Li caught up) but Li's just got better moves.

jackie chan
    Sorry but that opera clown will never equal Jet Li.
    Plus he was in Cannonball Run which automatically down-grades his props from me by at least 20%.

donnie yen
    Opposite of the Sammo situation. Donnie Yen has the moves (man does he have the moves) but he's not got any dramatic acting skills yet. He is Li's equal if you discount all the chinese made movies from Unleashed on (plus Unleashed).

tony jaa
    Please tell me you are kidding.

Ong Bakh was... OK.
    Not great.

Fight scenes so poorly lit you could barely see his arms and legs takes away from his thunder somewhat. Furthermore his films since Ong Bakh have been even more forgettable than the average film to come out of the Thai cinema industry.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

This movie is missing the one actor that can add balance to the potential speaking hazards that could grip this films production.

Vin Diesel.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    don't misjudge Tony Jaa-most of the movies released since Ong Bak were actually older films, re-released due to his recent discovery.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    This movie is missing the one actor that can add balance to the potential speaking hazards that could grip this films production.

Vin Diesel.
    ROTFLMFAO

True though. We have the brit, the ESL guy and Mr. Can't-form-a-cohesive-syllable himself as the leads.

And TT: I'm just saying: Tom Yun Goon was a REALLY bad, BAD movie.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Tom Yum Goong had some of the best screen fights ever. Rediculous story aside... those fights were awesome.

I stand by my original argument that Jet Li whups Jaa and Chan amalgamated into some strange two-headed-martial-cinema-frankenstein-mutant.
    Simon McNeil

but nobody beats jackie chan for kungfu comedy tho. half of watching jackie films is for the big stunts, and un orthadox, impromptu stunts. the other half is to get some good laughs.

also, jackie mainly makes movies for the family.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i like jet li probably the most. over all

for action my favorite is Yen, cuz well, he could actually whoop jet li's ass so bad in real life.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like both Jackie and Jet equally well. As mentioned before, they bring different positives to the table. Jackie has some great stunt work and his comedic timing is great. Jet is definitely the better screen fighter though. His work as Wong Fei Hung is fantastic. Also, Fist of Legend may contain my favorite fight scenes of all time. Jet is just great in that one.

What Jet and Jackie have over Jaa is charisma which they both have in spades. As well as experience......
    Maybe over time and as many movies under his belt, Tony Jaa could yet shine. His moves are pretty sick. But I want to see him branch out and do some other flicks in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    but nobody beats jackie chan for kungfu comedy tho. half of watching jackie films is for the big stunts, and un orthadox, impromptu stunts. the other half is to get some good laughs.

also, jackie mainly makes movies for the family.
    Yes, Jackie Chan is the kung fu equivalent of a circus clown... and if that is what you are looking for he is the top of his field. But for martial arts dramatic acting gotta go with Jet or Sammo... and I prefer Jet of the two.

I've been exposed to Thai cinema more than most (Thailand exports a lot of movies to China) and I must say that, in general, I'm not a fan.
    Simon McNeil

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Keaton, Chaplain, Chan. When you look at their body of work, I think Chan has earned his place next to his idols.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

From THR

I find it hard to believe Sly's still milkin' Rambo...

Stallone, Statham infiltrate actioner
    Jet Li in final negotiations to join 'The Expendables'
    By Gregg Goldstein

Nov 5, 2008, 11:03 PM ET
    SANTA MONICA -- Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham have become expendable.

The pair will join Jet Li, who's in final negotiations, as a team of mercenaries in "The Expendables."

The Nu Image/Millennium Films actioner will be directed by Stallone from his original screenplay, the first project in his two-picture deal with the studio. The second is expected to be the next installment of his popular "Rambo" series.

In "Expendables," the main characters are sent to infiltrate a South American country and overthrow its ruthless dictator to liberate the population. Their team is "expendable," hired to do jobs that no one else can or will.

Principal photography will begin in February in Costa Rica and Louisiana. The producers are courting big international presales at the American Film Market.

Avi Lerner, John Thompson and Kevin King Templeton are producing the film with executive producers Boaz Davidson, Trevor Short and Danny Dimbort.

"Making films with Nu Image/Millennium gives me as the director the opportunity to make the films I envision," Stallone said. "I am happy to be partnering with them again and am looking forward to working with Jason and Jet."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

im really interested in what kind of savage twist stalone is going to put on li's character. i bet hes a mean guy