Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chan Heung/Tang Fung connection?

Chan Heung/Tang Fung connection?

I read somewhere recently that Chan Heung..founder of CLF, studied Hung Ga for a time..and that Tang Fung ..founder of the TF lineage Hung Kuen..studied CLF?

Can anyone comment? Thanks.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I had heard this as well. It depends who you talk to. Some have alluded to it, some outright say it, others outright deny it. Nonetheless, there are many similarities in these related styles. They both came from Nam Siu-Lum, at about the same time, both heavily involved in "Fan Ching,Fuk Ming," both from the same areas geographically, both heavily influenced by Wong Yun-Lum's Hop-Ga/Lama.
    There have been many Hung-Ga people who also studied CLF and visa-versa.
    Some schools, like Buck Sum Kong's teach both.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    It may be jow kum, or i could be wrong, but chan ngau sing was a well known hung gar master......
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

a statement is going around that.

Sifu Yee Chi Wai's father was a student of a CLF teacher who also happened to be good friends of Tang Fung.

So the suggestion is that Sifu Yee's father knew a combo of CLF & Hung Gar that he learned from his teacher. The Hung Gar coming in from his teachers friendship with Tang Fung.

And also that the 9 special/poison fist set is made up of some key CLF principles that Tang Fung had learned.

who really knows if any of this is true without evidence or corroboration from the parties metioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    There have been many Hung-Ga people who also studied CLF and visa-versa.
    Some schools, like Buck Sum Kong's teach both.
    Yep, our CLF as many know comes from LKH. We only learn the two handsets. Siu Mui Fa Kuen and Sap Ji Kau Da.
    We do quite a few weapon sets as well.

It's a good mix. I like it.

Also I've heard that Master Lau Jaam knew some CLF.
    I think Lau Kar Bo here could maybe confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    Also I've heard that Master Lau Jaam knew some CLF.
    I think Lau Kar Bo here could maybe confirm that.
    Yes thats true,he learned some CLF from his uncle Lau Bo Sing however if you consider that Lau Jaam was 16 when he came to HK and shortly after became a disciple of Lam Sai Wing it cant be that much of CLF he knew...

these old masters all shared allot of things back in the past. CLF, TSPG, HG.... Most of these old masters didnt really care as some people do today.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

good point, Eddie. Many Masters exchanged with each other on a regular basis. If they liked a certain technique or move, they simply brought it into their training.
    Only now, are we trying to be more Traditional than the traditions, more Chinese than the Chinese. One of the reasons TCMA is getting smaller and smaller.
    TCMA is (was?) the original MMA. Rememeber?
    Last edited by TenTigers; 11-13-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    a statement is going around that.

Sifu Yee Chi Wai's father was a student of a CLF teacher who also happened to be good friends of Tang Fung.

So the suggestion is that Sifu Yee's father knew a combo of CLF & Hung Gar that he learned from his teacher. The Hung Gar coming in from his teachers friendship with Tang Fung.

And also that the 9 special/poison fist set is made up of some key CLF principles that Tang Fung had learned.

who really knows if any of this is true without evidence or corroboration from the parties metioned.
    According to his official bio on the Yee's Hung Ga website, http://yeeshungga.com/tradition/lineage/yeechiwai.html he began training with his father at six, but his formal Hung Ga training came from Grandmaster Yuen Ling who was Tang Fong's student.

uh, I was talking about his father.

Having remembered the elder Yee Sigung (Frank Yee's father), I remember him as a practitioner of Lam Sai Wing Hung Ga, and not Choy Lay Fut.

Also, the Gou Duk Sao set is one from Tang Fung system, not made from Choy Lay Fut. Although the set is a bit flowery, it is not from CLF. (And please, I think CLF is great! Ping Kuen and Sup Ji Kou Da are still favorites of mine!) It is made from Hung Ga fists - particularly excerpts from Fu Hoc and 5 animal sets.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Also, the Gou Duk Sao set is one from Tang Fung system, not made from Choy Lay Fut. Although the set is a bit flowery, it is not from CLF. (And please, I think CLF is great! Ping Kuen and Sup Ji Kou Da are still favorites of mine!) It is made from Hung Ga fists - particularly excerpts from Fu Hoc and 5 animal sets.

Hope this helps.
    we jokingly refer to it as "Hung-Ga's Greatest Hits!"
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

LOL! That's a good name.

I think Chan Heung or one of Chan Heung's teachers studied Hung Kuen for sure. The similarities are right in front of you. In CLF, the hands lead the body more; whereas in Hung Ga, the body leads the hands more.

Looking at Chi Ji Wu Dip Jeung (Zig zag Butterfly palm) in both systems, you can see the similarilty and core body signatures.

Other moves like Suei Lou Pao and Gwa Cup show a remarkable similarity, but again the signature differences.

CLF is very mobile, Hung Ga is very rooted.

Both are great representations of Nam Kuen.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    uh, I was talking about his father.
    Ok, but I was talking about the son, not for your education as I know that you in fact know more about them than I do.
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 11-22-2008 at 08:15 PM.