Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Myths

Blog Entries
    sorry, mike mentioned the 5 ancestors......so immediately that caught my attention.

and ross, must you ALWAYS come on like a chump? i don't take pills, i shmoke ching cho bruthah! --~~~~~~

and Ching Cho who IS one of the 5 ancestors, was an abbott at the Shaolin temple. so yeah, i was wondering what that book may have said.

but i trust in my other sources.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    PM,

thanks, there are some great books on the hung mun. one of the most detailed but hard to read is from schlegal.

Blog Entries
    SIMON,

sorry, its faster for me when i use all caps or lower case, or my eyes are going bad......omg where is me specticles?

Sorry, as i said, mike mentioned the 5 ancestors........

the book by Gustaaf Schlegel is ihmo kind of outdated. there are much better books today on Hung Mun, like the one i have recomended above, or
    The Ritual and Mythology of the Chinese Triads: Creating an Identity

however, what i mean: the connection of Northern/Southern Shaolin Temples to martial arts is confirmed by numerous old sources (reliable or not is other question), but definitely at least 100 years older than 1911. the book by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo is very good, it uncover many myths surrounding TCMA, but it also has a lot of info that is not accurate or true.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Frank, I know that it escapes you how ridiculous you come off, so I'll just forgive your ignorance. But for those who have actual academic training you coming on here and quoting Wu Hsin as historical evidence is pretty darn funny! It's like citing a superman comic for NYC history

Jean Chesneaux was the first academic examination of secret society history and literature, and while he found plenty of Shaolin references he did not find any that could be dated much before the turn of the century
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post

the connection of Northern/Southern Shaolin Temple FICTION to martial arts is confirmed
    fixed that for you. There is no question that most martial arts in China CLAIM some connection to Shaolin, there is little reliable evidence confirming the ties. When China first started looking, they couldn't trace most of the systems back more than a few generations.

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    ok so what, ross, go suck an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    ok so what, ross, go suck an egg.
    Spoken truely by someone who is barely literate in their own language

I'll drop one on the amateur historians now.....

Finding a secret society or brotherhood source that speaks of the temple, of a monk, etc is NOT reliable. You can only confirm that they used that FICTION as far back as that time.

China, being what it was, and what is has gone through in the 20th century (and before) leaves many a land mine for the amateur historian. Short of an actual Bao Jia record, most Chinese historians would say a source is only reliable when it is (1) proven neutral or (2) confirmed by other sources in context or (3) a combination of the two

Were we just invaded by CLF lineage wars?

(I have managed to keep blissfully out of lineage issues for a good long time by just not caring. Sure Wong Fei Hong may have rocked the Hung Gar world way back when but what has he done lately?)
    Last edited by SimonM; 11-10-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Ever read Esherick's "The Origins of the Boxer Uprising"?

Great book if you want to see the function of martial arts in rebellions and within the conext of traditional Chinese society. Unfortunately, if you aren't a trained historian it can be quite a book to get through.

There is at least one imperial court document which states "the Mei Hua boxing which originated at Shaolin"... wow! Seems like a find doesn't it? Except that the official reporting this is only relaying what HE HEARD THE BOXERS SAYING

A deeper dig into the issue and you find out their teacher wasn't at all related to Shaolin, but his ignorant, poorly educated followers either attached this affiliation or he fed it to them

You know what really bugs me about Shaolin Temple?

It really was the birthplace of something important. If not for the monks of Shaolin (in a lineage that can be more reliably traced back to Damo - though not entirely ) we wouldn't have Ch'an.

And yet it just gets talked about for kung fu!
    Last edited by SimonM; 11-10-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    You know what really bugs me about Shaolin Temple?

It really was the birthplace of something important. If not for the monks of Shaolin (in a lineage that can be more reliably traced back to Damo) we wouldn't have Ch'an.

And yet it just gets talked about for kung fu!
    Only on TCMA forums and LARPers forums.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Enough people swing boffers to have whole forums?

And they talk about Shaolinsi?
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    fixed that for you. There is no question that most martial arts in China CLAIM some connection to Shaolin, there is little reliable evidence confirming the ties. When China first started looking, they couldn't trace most of the systems back more than a few generations.
    no need to fix what i wrote :-) i can read and write a bit English, if you do not mind. as seen above, i have questioned the reliability of the written material, especialy as far as Southern Shaolin temple concerns, but as for the Northern Temple, we have much more reliable sources that i would not call fiction at all. please read the book by Meir Shahar recommended above.

i am in no way fan of "all martial arts under heaven come from Shaolin monastery" theory". i just claim (and have posted evidence of my claims) that both temples were connected to martial arts in sources much older than 1911 - ok? the book on Triads by Dian H. Murray has eg. 7 different texts.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com