Thread: Revisiting Form/tonight's lesson

Revisiting Form/tonight's lesson

Just found myself on a break from writing, usually when I'll shadow box in the mirror or go a round on the heavy bag. This time I found myself with my hair stacked atop my head like an old Taoist and instantly broke into my favorite form, chick Pu (sp?) from Bak Mei. I always loved it.... short, compact, powerful.

I felt ridiculous. The postures, while flowing naturally from countless repetition, also felt forced. It wasn't the usual come what may scenario of my own private training. It felt static.

I know much prefer getting a nice rhythmic hop going... light of foot... and just let combinations explode on their own. Sprawl. Kick. Jam. Jump on my exercise ball and work on ground position transitions.

Also understand why my master was against the heavy bag. I enjoy it, I find it useful. But it truly does promote poor punching. It's hard not to help but push the punch, not throw it loose. But now I am much more mindful of just letting the hands go.

Just had my Dec 27 fight cancelled but that just means more time for training. Running hills now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

Also understand why my master was against the heavy bag. I enjoy it, I find it useful. But it truly does promote poor punching. It's hard not to help but push the punch, not throw it loose. But now I am much more mindful of just letting the hands go.

Explain please ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The resistance of the heavy bag promotes poor punching? I am new to martial arts, but wouldn't it be more combat-realistic (yes I know bags dont hit back/resist) to hit a heavy bag than to punch in the air? It would seem to me that the same mechanics that are causing you to punch poorly on a bag would exist when punching human as well.

Blog Entries
    We all try to develop powerful muscle, strong bone, and tough skin on the outside, long and smooth breathing on the inside (Qi). How can we tough our skin without contacting any heavy bag? We can punch in the thin air all our life but the 1st time that we hit on someone's head, we may break our hand during the 1st contact. That could be a big joke IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-12-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Also understand why my master was against the heavy bag. I enjoy it, I find it useful. But it truly does promote poor punching.
    I simply can not agree with this. And, logically, every striking system in the world has adopted pad/bag work.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

bagwork is fundamental to ranging, structural development, power development, cardio-vascular endurance (in a smaller way, but way).

pad work is good for timing, ranging, listening, stepping.

air work is good for cv.

maybe ray mistyped something there?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Also understand why my master was against the heavy bag. It's hard not to help but push the punch.
    There's your answer. Most people have poor technique and not enough self-discipline.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.