Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Deaths

Martial Arts Deaths

I seldom hear of deaths in the martial arts. I feel that martial arts are generally safe. I'm starting this thread just to test my theory. If I'm right, it'll lay fairly dormant.
    Schoolboy dies in Siberia martial arts contest
    19:07 | 10/ 11/ 2008

KEMEROVO, November 10 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian schoolboy collapsed and died during a Daido Juku martial arts competition in the southwest Siberian city of Kemerovo, a spokesman for the regional administration said on Monday.

"Fifteen-year-old Artyom Korotkov of Novosibirsk lost consciousness during a fight. Unfortunately, the first aid provided was not sufficient to avert tragedy, and he died," the spokesman told RIA Novosti.

The cause of death has not yet been clarified.

A local police source said an investigation has been launched into the incident on the request of the regional governor, Aman Tuleyev.

Daido Juku, also known as Kudo, incorporates martial arts skills from Kyokushin karate, boxing and wrestling.

Last month, a 19-year old Russian hockey star died of heart failure during a match.

Alexei Cherepanov collapsed on the substitutes' bench after falling on the ice during a Continental Hockey League game in the Moscow Region town of Chekhov. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died later that evening.

Nicknamed the Siberian Express, Cherepanov had played two seasons as a professional, beating in March 2007 the Russia league goal-scoring record for rookies previously held by the legendary Pavel Bure.

He was expected to follow in Bure's footsteps and move to the National Hockey League, having been the New York Rangers' first-round pick in the 2007 NHL draft.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

While I am a big advocate of contact fighting and "getting in there", I have two BIG caveats

1. I think competition of this sort should be for 18 and older ONLY (never have offered an under 18 san da match in my life)

2. All events should have qualified medical staff ON SITE
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

may be some health exam before fights.

the doctor may pick up some pre existing conditions or heart/lung etc

and say not fit for fighting

or fit for fighting

--

veterinarian would health exam the horses before they race

why not people before any fights?

--

Here is the thing with Kudo, it is very safe, cosmetically speaking.
    The mask prevents blood, and damage to the face, but the concussion effect is still there, some may say more because some people tend to defend their head less when it is protected and others tend to hit harder when their opponent is protected.
    Nevertheless, heart failure tends to have very little to do with the match in question.
    It was probably congenital or due to excessive training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Wushu Death

I'm guessing this was a two-person wushu taolu accident. Can you imagine how Weerasinghe's partner feels.
    IC defends wushu student’s death
    By Ravi Nagahawatte
    The Sri Lanka Wushu Interim Committee has acknowledged the fact that the sport lost a promising player due to the death of Madura Weerasinghe at the trials to select the junior team to take part in the Asian Junior Wushu Championships in Indonesia.Interim Committee secretary Manel Dharmakeerthi quashed speculation which suggests that there were shortcomings in the manner in which the tournament was conducted.

Dharmakeerthi told The Nation that the tournament was conducted in accordance with the rules and regulations of wushu and that members of the Sports Ministry’s Medical Unit were present at the tournament. He said that the player was in the best of health throughout the tournament and he (the player) never gave the impression that he was weak.

“There is the element of danger in all sports. The element of risk in wushu is more because it is a martial art,” Dharmakeerhti said. According to Dharmakeerthi this is first death in a wushu national event both in Sri Lanka and in the world. The player who died of internal bleeding, Weerasinghe, was a student of Kaburawala Maha Vidyalaya, Matugama. Weerasinghe’s close associates, including his coach, are of the view that he was physically weak during the tournament. A past president of the Federation has charged that the death could have been avoided if the referee was more vigilant.

Dharmakeerthi however said that the player had signed and produced the participant’s certificate in which he had all the requirements to make himself eligible to take part in the tournament.
    Magisterial inquiry over “Wushu” death

(Colombo Lankapuvath November 08) Colombo Additional Magistrate Kumari Abeyratne yesterday (07) called for a comprehensive report on sports equipment and tools which were in use at the Inter school Wushu competition in which Madura Weerasinghe a young student of Kamburawala Maha Vidyalaya, Baduraliya took part.

The additional magistrate made this order at the magisterial inquiry into the death of Madura Weerasinghe during the competition at the Sports Ministry Indoor stadium.

The death was due to extensive haemorrhage following an accidental blow by a blunt tool declared the Additional Magistrate.

It was pointed out by the magistrate that such tragic incidents occur during sports competitions and announced that she was convinced that there has been no personal grudge between the two competitors.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The death was due to extensive haemorrhage following an accidental blow by a blunt tool declared the Additional Magistrate.
    sparring set went terribly wrong?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Sounds like someone got a waxwood stick upside the knoggin.

Ouch....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Sounds like someone got a waxwood stick upside the knoggin.
    i once hit myself in the left temple swinginging around a waist high 21 lb iron bar... i still wonder about the repurcussions of this particular incident.

video???????????
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i once hit myself in the left temple swinginging around a waist high 21 lb iron bar... i still wonder about the repurcussions of this particular incident.
    posting on KFMF?

many years back I kind of knocked myself out playing with a chain whip. Few times got hit with a 3 section staff at the back of the head.

who said wushu weapons are not dangerious?!
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    many years back I kind of knocked myself out playing with a chain whip.
    chain whip + groin = a move I will never try a third time...

Three words

FLYING EAGLE BELT

for those who know.......

some kind of safe guard should have been in place

such as a head gear or protector chest, so that any "weapons" that are wielding or flying would not seriously hit us and kill us.

it is indeed a sad situation.

safety has to be on our mind at all times.

I almost got knocked out during a 3-person waxwood staff set during a show one time. We were under a very low tent and when I raised my staff to block, it got caught on the top of the tent and I took a straight shot to the top of my head. Everything went white for a second, but I recovered and finished the set. I had a big lump and it broke the skin, though.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.