Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Deaths

Slightly OT

This one isn't a death due to martial arts per se. But still, getting slashed with a sickle in a karaoke club strikes me as so very Jakarta.

Former martial arts athlete killed in club brawl

Desy Nurhayati , The Jakarta Post , Denpasar | Wed, 01/06/2010 2:40 PM | The Archipelago

Former national martial arts athlete I Gede Arya Heru Wibawa was killed during a brawl at a karaoke parlor in Sesetan, Denpasar, late Sunday.

Arya, 40, was slashed with a sickle while trying to break up a fight between patrons at the Mirama Lounge.

He died at around 11 p.m. on his way to the nearby Sanglah General Hospital.

Denpasar Police chief Sr. Comr. Gede Alit Widana said Monday two suspects believed to have been responsible for his death had turned themselves in to South Denpasar Police shortly after the incident.

The suspects have been identified as 40-year-old I Wayan Darta and his 21-year-old son, I Made Suastika, residents of Tanjung Bungkak in East Denpasar.

Widana said the incident began when the two suspects arrived at the parlor at around 10 p.m. and ordered 10 bottles of beer. Moments later, Suastika began fighting with another customer.

"The victim tried to break up the fight, but to no avail," Widana said.

"They continued fighting in front of the parlor."

In the middle of the brawl, Suastika fell close to where Arya was standing.

"Seeing his son get knocked down, Darta got mad and pulled out a sickle he'd been carrying with him, and slashed Arya right across the abdomen."

Suastika, carrying a machete, also struck out at Arya, hitting him in the arm and chest until the victim was knocked down.

"The victim died from massive blood loss after arteries below his collarbone were severed," Widana said.

He pointed out the victim and the two suspects were not mutually acquainted.

"They only happened to be at the same karaoke parlor that night. This was a murder committed in the heat of the moment," he said.

He added that the suspects could face up to 15 years in prison if found guilty under the Criminal Code.

Arya, a resident of Banjar Kaja in Sesetan, was a gold medalist in the 1996 and 2000 National Games (PON).

His sister, Ni Made Arya Dwi Damayanti, said he worked as a trainer for athletes in the provincial martial arts squad.

Arya also trained several national-level athletes for the 2008 PON in Samarinda, East Kalimantan.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

pro wrestling count as a MA?

an interesting list here, not sure how many died at all while training or performing.

many of these deaths of course have drugs involved....thus the issue of MA meets sport meets performance enhancing drugs.

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65

Chris Von Erich (Von Erich Family Tree) - 21
    Mike Von Erich - 23
    Louie Spiccoli - 27
    Art Barr - 28
    Gino Hernandez - 29
    Jay Youngblood - 30
    Rick McGraw - 30
    Joey Marella - 30
    Ed Gatner - 31
    Buzz Sawyer - 32
    Crash Holly - 32
    Kerry Von Erich - 33
    D.J. Peterson - 33
    Eddie Gilbert - 33
    The Renegade - 33
    Chris Candido - 33
    Test - 33
    Adrian Adonis - 34
    Gary Albright - 34
    Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
    Owen Hart - 34
    Yokozuna - 34
    Big **** Dudley - 34
    Brian Pillman - 35
    Marianna Komlos - 35
    Umaga - 36
    Pitbull #2 - 36
    The Wall/Malice - 36
    Emory Hale - 36
    Leroy Brown - 38
    Mark Curtis - 38
    Eddie Guerrero - 38
    John Kronus - 38
    Davey Boy Smith - 39
    Johnny Grunge - 39
    Vivian Vachon - 40
    Jeep Swenson - 40
    Brady Boone - 40
    Terry Gordy - 40
    Bertha Faye - 40
    Billy Joe Travis - 40
    Chris Benoit - 40
    Larry Cameron - 41
    Rick Rude - 41
    Randy Anderson - 41
    Bruiser Brody - 42
    Miss Elizabeth - 42
    Big Boss Man - 42
    Earthquake - 42
    Mike Awesome - 42
    Biff Wellington - 42
    Brian Adams (Crush) - 43
    Ray Candy - 43
    Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43
    Dino Bravo - 44
    Curt Hennig - 44
    Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
    Jerry Blackwell - 45
    Junkyard Dog - 45
    Hercules - 45
    Andre the Giant - 46
    Big John Studd - 46
    Chris Adams - 46
    Mike Davis - 46
    Hawk - 46
    Mitsuharu Misawa - 46
    Steve Dunn - 48
    Cousin Junior - 48
    **** Murdoch - 49
    Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
    Rocco Rock - 49
    Sherri Martel - 49
    Steve Williams - 49
    Moondog Spot - 51
    Ken Timbs - 53
    Uncle Elmer - 54
    Pez Whatley - 54
    The Angel of Death - 54
    Eddie Graham - 55
    Tarzan Tyler - 55
    Haystacks Calhoun- 55
    Giant Haystacks - 55
    Buddy Rose - 56
    The Spoiler - 56
    Kurt Von Hess - 56
    Moondog King - 56
    Gene Anderson - 58
    Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
    Bulldog Brown - 58
    Tony Parisi - 58
    Rufus R. Jones - 60
    Ray Stevens - 60
    Stan Stasiak - 60
    Terry Garvin - 60
    Boris Malenko - 61
    Little Beaver - 61
    Sapphire - 61
    Shohei Baba - 61
    **** the Bruiser - 62
    Wilbur Snyder - 62
    George Cannon - 62
    Karl Krupp - 62
    Dale Lewis - 62
    Gorilla Monsoon - 62
    Hiro Matsuda - 62
    Bad News Brown - 63
    Bulldog Brower - 63
    SD Jones - 63
    Wahoo McDaniel - 63
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'm a little concerned that:

a) you are watching that much wrestling a

and

b) your records are that meticulous
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This one isn't a death due to martial arts per se. But still, getting slashed with a sickle in a karaoke club strikes me as so very Jakarta.
    I had a WTF momment reading this

"Seeing his son get knocked down, Darta got mad and pulled out a sickle he'd been carrying with him, and slashed Arya right across the abdomen."

Suastika, carrying a machete, also struck out at Arya, hitting him in the arm and chest until the victim was knocked down.

Having never been to Jakarta myself, I wasn't sure how common it was for people to be packing sickles and machetes when they head to the bar. But, definately something you don't expect to see living in the US.

a) i dont even watch tv.

b) i googled it

c) i assumed if it counts as MA, these guys have the highest death toll. all those drugs and such.

i get you though. ill admit i did watch wwf as a kid though.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog View Post
    *snip*
    Having never been to Jakarta myself, I wasn't sure how common it was for people to be packing sickles and machetes when they head to the bar. But, definately something you don't expect to see living in the US.
    that's because of conceal and carry laws. blades are for primitives. Civilised people shoot each other for gawds sake man!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well call me primitive! i can get a plastic sticker on an airplane though! dont tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    well call me primitive! i can get a plastic sticker on an airplane though! dont tell anyone.
    pffft, I've taken my kungfu onto an airplane plenty of times and flown internationally with it too!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

dude im telling the airmarshals on you! ill just bee like, 'that guy has concealed skeeelz!! get him!!, oh and he's arab muslim with a thirst for virgins he just doesnt look it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    many years back I kind of knocked myself out playing with a chain whip. Few times got hit with a 3 section staff at the back of the head.

who said wushu weapons are not dangerious?!
    The Steel whip! The only weapon I ever injured myself with more than twice, I usually learn the first time. The move at 1:18 I missed the catch & around the neck & right into the mouth, teeth, ouch!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    uh, your supposed to slap your foot, NOT kick your hand.

whoever taught you must of missed a lesson somewhere

http://www.ehow.com/video_2355145_ku...slap-kick.html
    We were taught to kick the hand and never to slap the foot. This was part of our iron palm training.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    We were taught to kick the hand and never to slap the foot. This was part of our iron palm training.
    funny side thing about that ( we kind of do a combo of kicking and slapping, i learned my wushu from Tran Sifu here it says hes been openly teaching for 15 years...its said that for about 10 years or more lol ) the reason i started tucking my kwan/feiyu laces into the sides is from lodging one of those little plastic lace enders into my hand.

sports physiology and medicine.

wushu or kung fu is much related to chinese medicine since long time ago.

--

it would be nice to have

wushu or kung fu physiology and medicine

other than qi theory and qi gong

there are many researches going on with qi and qi gong

maybe the western science and medicine need to look at wushu or kung fu, too.

Slightly OT

Suspicious given the timing...?
    Wushu player’s body not found, search stopped
    Posted: Sep 04, 2011 at 0211 hrs IST

Lucknow The body of 21-year-old wushu player Sunny Dhanuk who reportedly jumped into the Gomti river on August 23 could not be traced. Sunny’s bag with clothes, a motorcycle and shoes were found near the barrage.

Boatmen and divers who were pressed into service could not trace him and they have now stopped the search operation. Nitin Tiwari , Additional Superintendent of Police, Trans-Gomti Nagar, said: “We searched for the body but it could not be traced”.

N Sirohi, Sub-Inspector at Gomti Nagar police station, said: “The family has not filed any missing report with the police.” He added that they had come to know that the boy was depressed because he felt jilted by a girl.

However, Sunny’s father, Dinesh, claimed that he had filed an application at the office ofthe DM and DIG, Lucknow, requesting them to trace his son. “We are clueless about the whereabouts of Sunny. The police have not contacted us since the incident. I am not aware whether the police is investigating the incident or not,” he added.

A national-level Wushu player, Sunny is elder son of Dinesh, a government employee. A resident of Teli Bagh area, Sunny on August 23 called on his brother-in-law Sanjay’s phone and told his sister Aneeta to take his bike and bag from Gomti Barrage. Sanjay rushed to the spot. Sunny’s bag with clothes, a motorcycle and shoes was found near the barrage.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Deaths in Chinese/Martial Arts Competitions

There’s sad news from martial arts in China. Kungfu fighter Shangguan Pengfei died on Monday, after spending 42 days in a coma. The 23 year-old was hospitalized after a match in October, and questions came up immediately, about the dangers related to this well-known combat sport.

On October the 31st, 2011, in the city of Haikou, Hainan province, Shangguan Pengfei took on Cui Fei in the semifinal of China Kungfu King Championships.
    Original here:
    http://english.cntv.cn/program/sport...6/109385.shtml