This one isn't a death due to martial arts per se. But still, getting slashed with a sickle in a karaoke club strikes me as so very Jakarta.

Former martial arts athlete killed in club brawl

Desy Nurhayati , The Jakarta Post , Denpasar | Wed, 01/06/2010 2:40 PM | The Archipelago

Former national martial arts athlete I Gede Arya Heru Wibawa was killed during a brawl at a karaoke parlor in Sesetan, Denpasar, late Sunday.

Arya, 40, was slashed with a sickle while trying to break up a fight between patrons at the Mirama Lounge.

He died at around 11 p.m. on his way to the nearby Sanglah General Hospital.

Denpasar Police chief Sr. Comr. Gede Alit Widana said Monday two suspects believed to have been responsible for his death had turned themselves in to South Denpasar Police shortly after the incident.

The suspects have been identified as 40-year-old I Wayan Darta and his 21-year-old son, I Made Suastika, residents of Tanjung Bungkak in East Denpasar.

Widana said the incident began when the two suspects arrived at the parlor at around 10 p.m. and ordered 10 bottles of beer. Moments later, Suastika began fighting with another customer.

"The victim tried to break up the fight, but to no avail," Widana said.

"They continued fighting in front of the parlor."

In the middle of the brawl, Suastika fell close to where Arya was standing.

"Seeing his son get knocked down, Darta got mad and pulled out a sickle he'd been carrying with him, and slashed Arya right across the abdomen."

Suastika, carrying a machete, also struck out at Arya, hitting him in the arm and chest until the victim was knocked down.

"The victim died from massive blood loss after arteries below his collarbone were severed," Widana said.

He pointed out the victim and the two suspects were not mutually acquainted.

"They only happened to be at the same karaoke parlor that night. This was a murder committed in the heat of the moment," he said.

He added that the suspects could face up to 15 years in prison if found guilty under the Criminal Code.

Arya, a resident of Banjar Kaja in Sesetan, was a gold medalist in the 1996 and 2000 National Games (PON).

His sister, Ni Made Arya Dwi Damayanti, said he worked as a trainer for athletes in the provincial martial arts squad.

Arya also trained several national-level athletes for the 2008 PON in Samarinda, East Kalimantan.