Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Deaths

Hybrid View

Martial Arts Deaths

I seldom hear of deaths in the martial arts. I feel that martial arts are generally safe. I'm starting this thread just to test my theory. If I'm right, it'll lay fairly dormant.
    Schoolboy dies in Siberia martial arts contest
    19:07 | 10/ 11/ 2008

KEMEROVO, November 10 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian schoolboy collapsed and died during a Daido Juku martial arts competition in the southwest Siberian city of Kemerovo, a spokesman for the regional administration said on Monday.

"Fifteen-year-old Artyom Korotkov of Novosibirsk lost consciousness during a fight. Unfortunately, the first aid provided was not sufficient to avert tragedy, and he died," the spokesman told RIA Novosti.

The cause of death has not yet been clarified.

A local police source said an investigation has been launched into the incident on the request of the regional governor, Aman Tuleyev.

Daido Juku, also known as Kudo, incorporates martial arts skills from Kyokushin karate, boxing and wrestling.

Last month, a 19-year old Russian hockey star died of heart failure during a match.

Alexei Cherepanov collapsed on the substitutes' bench after falling on the ice during a Continental Hockey League game in the Moscow Region town of Chekhov. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died later that evening.

Nicknamed the Siberian Express, Cherepanov had played two seasons as a professional, beating in March 2007 the Russia league goal-scoring record for rookies previously held by the legendary Pavel Bure.

He was expected to follow in Bure's footsteps and move to the National Hockey League, having been the New York Rangers' first-round pick in the 2007 NHL draft.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

While I am a big advocate of contact fighting and "getting in there", I have two BIG caveats

1. I think competition of this sort should be for 18 and older ONLY (never have offered an under 18 san da match in my life)

2. All events should have qualified medical staff ON SITE
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

may be some health exam before fights.

the doctor may pick up some pre existing conditions or heart/lung etc

and say not fit for fighting

or fit for fighting

--

veterinarian would health exam the horses before they race

why not people before any fights?

--

Here is the thing with Kudo, it is very safe, cosmetically speaking.
    The mask prevents blood, and damage to the face, but the concussion effect is still there, some may say more because some people tend to defend their head less when it is protected and others tend to hit harder when their opponent is protected.
    Nevertheless, heart failure tends to have very little to do with the match in question.
    It was probably congenital or due to excessive training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Death at grading

I didn't enter the Wushu Death here. That struck me as such an anomaly that it deserved it's own thread.

This one below strikes me as a freak accident that could have happened anywhere.
    Teacher dies at karate grading
    The Press | Tuesday, 09 December 2008

A Rangiora school teacher and long-time martial arts instructor collapsed and died during a karate grading at the weekend.

Rangiora Karate Club sensei Rob Stewart, 53, was in the Waikuku Community Hall on Sunday morning when he started having trouble breathing, senior black belt Graham Russell said.

The grading involved more than 30 people, mostly children, from five Canterbury clubs.

CPR was performed on Stewart "within seconds" by several people, and resuscitation attempts continued until emergency services arrived, he said.

Police confirmed a man died at the scene and the matter had been referred to the coroner.

Stewart was a fourth-dan black belt in the Okinawan Goju-Ryu karate style, who trained for more than 25 years in Hamilton, Rotorua, Oxford and Rangiora.

He had been a teacher at Rangiora Borough School since 1995, and had taught many of his karate students.

"He's dedicated his life over the last 30 years or so to karate," Russell said. Stewart's wife, Diana, and their four children were still coming to grips with the death, he said.

Rangiora Borough School principal Alan Sutton said Stewart was a highly regarded teacher and colleague.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We have Soldiers die from heart failure at least a couple times a year. Usually it's either the new recruits unable to adapt to the rigors of basic, or it is an older reservist who was activated and was attempting to work out while deployed, without properly acclimating.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I think competition of this sort should be for 18 and older ONLY
    I strongly agree.

Slightly OT

This sounds terribly tragic.

DeKalb County News 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, 2012
    Man slain at drive-in; another killed as officer responds
    By Alexis Stevens
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Two men, just one year apart in age, probably didn't know each other. But both likely died within minutes of one another following a quick string of events in DeKalb County.

Mitt Lenix, a martial arts expert and entertainer, jumps through a ring of fire at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. He was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In after apparently having car trouble and asking for help.
    Special, Chip Talbert Photography Mitt Lenix, a martial arts expert and entertainer, jumps through a ring of fire at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. He was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In after apparently having car trouble and asking for help.

After a martial arts expert and entertainer was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In, a man headed to babysit for a family member was hit and killed by a DeKalb County police officer headed to the homicide scene early Tuesday, police said.

Tuesday afternoon, officers were still searching for the man accused of killing a man that police believe was only asking for help. But it wasn't clear what prompted the alleged gunman to shoot at the area's last remaining drive-in.

Mitt Lenix, 28, was at the Starlight, a metro Atlanta landmark on Moreland Avenue, when he apparently was having car trouble and approached 32-year-old Quentric S. Williams for help, Mekka Parish, spokeswoman for DeKalb County police, told the AJC.

Williams shot Lenix and then drove off, Parish said.

An off-duty DeKalb officer working at the drive-in heard the shots and rendered aid to Lenix, who later died after being transported to a hospital, Parish said.

A concerned citizen called 911 after the shooting and followed the suspect's vehicle until officers caught up Williams, chasing him nearly to the DeKalb-Gwinnett line on Lilburn-Stone Mountain Road.

The chase ended when Williams wrecked the car, but he jumped out of the vehicle, ran and eluded officers, Parish said. Gwinnett officers assisted in the search for the suspect. A female passenger with Williams was detained, but later released from police custody, Parish said Tuesday afternoon.

Police did not say how they identified Williams as the alleged shooter.

Meanwhile, DeKalb Officer Jason Copper was headed to assist fellow officers with the chase when he struck a pedestrian trying to cross Memorial Drive, police said.

Clinton Hightower, 27, who police said was not in the crosswalk when he was hit, died at the scene. Hightower's parents told Channel 2 Action News they've heard from witnesses who say the police car's blue lights were not activated and he was speeding at the time he struck their son.

"The investigation into this accident is ongoing," Parish said in a statement to the AJC. "Detectives are looking into when the officer’s lights were activated and if the siren was on as well as it will determine how fast he was traveling."

Hightower was headed to his sister's home to babysit when he was struck, according to his parents, Michael and Anna Maria Davis.

"We definitely need to know something, why it happened, why his lights weren't on, why 80 miles an hour," Michael Davis said. "And why you took my son's life. That's what he took."

Friends of Lenix called the martial arts expert an extraordinary performer who was using his talents to entertain others at the Georgia Renaissance Festival.

"He's just one of the most incredibly talented performers we've ever had at the festival, and he's going to be so missed," Sarah Petermann, spokeswoman for the festival, told the AJC by phone Tuesday afternoon. "For us, it was like losing one of our own."

At the festival, Lenix performed as part of duo that did stunts, such as one that required Lenix to jump nine feet in the air and kick a balloon to pop it, Petermann said.

"He was someone who had the technique to protect himself, but he didn’t use it that way," Petermann said. "He used it for entertaining."

Lenix was also a member of the Georgia National Guard, his family told Channel 2.

While friends and family members grieved the loss of the two victims Tuesday, others were shocked to learn that the Atlanta drive-in, which first opened in 1949, was the scene of a deadly crime.

Native Atlantan Suellen Germani, 46, told the AJC she's part of a group of movie-lovers called the "Drive Invaders" that heads to the Starlight every Wednesday night from April to September. Group members vote on which movies to watch, then arrive early with lawn chairs and boom boxes to get front-row seats, Germani said.

“It's sad, but I really view this as a random act of senseless violence," Germani said. "I’ve been coming out there for 15 years now and have never felt threatened or unsafe. When we come out there, it’s part of living in Atlanta that you have to be observant of your surroundings."

Germani said she was part of the group, years ago, that suggested the idea for the Drive Invasion, a popular music festival held Labor Weekend at the Starlight. In recent years, new generations have enjoyed the drive-in experience, with some movie-goers bringing along young children along for a family outing, Germani said.

On its Facebook page, the drive-in posted a statement about the shooting, thanking emergency responders and patrons who stepped in to help.

"We are saddened by last night's inconceivable events. Our hearts and prayers go out to those who are affected by this person's random, rare and grotesque actions," the statement said. "Let's show the world this is not what Atlanta is about."

Germani said the killing will not keep her group from returning to the drive-in. "I'm certainly going there tomorrow. We're not going to stop."

-- Staff writer Mike Morris contributed to this article.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A terrible fatality

This sounds so horrible. I can't even imagine it. My deepest condolences to the family and the Dojang.

Martial arts champ's tragic gym death
    Nov 15 2012 by Alistair Watson, West Lothian Courier

Competitors at a taekwondo grading event in Livingston were left shocked and devastated when a fellow participant died in front of them.

Popular Patrick ‘Paddy’ Timoney (42), described as a “one in a million man”, collapsed in front of his wife, family and friends on Sunday morning during a grading session at the Gmac Martial Arts gym in the Craigwillow Centre, Craigshill.

The father-of-three, who was a national taekwondo champion, died despite valiant attempts to revive him by other taekwondo experts taking part in the event.

Several of them took it in turns to perform CPR until paramedics arrived at the scene. He was taken to St John’s Hospital in Livingston but medics were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead.

He leaves behind three children, Aiden, 14, Erin, nine, and four-month-old Cody.

Mr Timoney was looking to gain his fifth degree black belt during the grading session in front of a taekwondo grand master. He coached the national team and had fought in the 1998 world championships and was the current Scottish, Northern and British champion in the discipline of “hand destruction”.

The family man’s 43-year-old wife Jackie, who has also participated in the taekwondo world championships, was part of the judging panel on Sunday and watched in horror as her husband suffered a seizure in front of her eyes.

Sunday’s tragedy unfolded just after 11am on Sunday morning at the gym operated by close friend John McIlvaney.

He said: “Paddy was sitting his fifth degree black belt and was on the floor performing a pattern when he took a massive seizure and collapsed. His wife was on the panel for the grading so she watched it all happen.

“Every black belt took a turn at performing CPR on Paddy, nobody said a word they just got on with it. By the time we phoned an ambulance and it arrived, we had been performing CPR for about half an hour.

“We had to rush his wife out of the hall because, understandably, she was hysterical. I’ll never forget the sound of her screams.

“I was trying to reassure her that he was alright, but she was saying ‘I can see it in your eyes that he’s not’. Her screams were the most horrendous sound ever, they’ll haunt me forever.

“We also had young kids in the hall and had to get them out quickly. It was a really dark day.”

Mr McIlvaney, who had known Mr Timoney for years, also paid to the “larger-than-life” character who always had a joke to tell.

He added: “The response from people has been overwhelming. It shows just how well-known and well-liked Paddy was. He was a larger-than-life character and the finest person I’ve ever met. He was so family-orientated.

“He was really well known within the taekwondo community, not for his flexibility or high kicks – he was known for his infectious sense of humour and warm personality. He was the funniest man I’ve ever known and the person I would want at my side going through tough times. It’s awful he won’t be here anymore.”

Mr Timoney, from Coatbridge, had enjoyed a high profile in the sport, and was a board member of the International Taekwondo Federation Scotland.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a way to go...

Martial-arts expert died after bus fall
    14 May 2013

A MARTIAL-arts expert died after he fell and banged his head while trying to board a transit bus at Dublin Airport, an inquest heard.

Alan Ruddock (68)from Douglas in the Isle of Man, slipped on a wet floor when boarding the bus during heavy rain on April 2 last year.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that the incident happened as passengers on an Aer Arann flight to the Isle of Man were being transferred to their plane by a single-decker Sky Handling bus.

Mr Ruddock, who originally hailed from Dublin and taught the martial art of Aikido, was returning home from Cork.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of accidental death.
    An Aikidoka no less.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The thing they are finding out with hockey and football players is that more than a few of them suffer from and ultimately die from brain diseases brought on by repeated strikes to the head.

To put it simply, fighting is not a healthy thing at all on any level. You take risk and you pay for that risk.

For me, it's because I never liked knitting and have been fully aware of my own mortality for some time now.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Odd story

There's a lot going on here beyond the martial arts connection. 62 injuries? The alleged report wasn't on this article and I didn't dig out the source.
    Tuesday, 08 October 2013 15:07
    Trained in martial arts, couple's KUNG-FU fighting turns FATAL

The couple were trained in Chinese martial arts, which they often used against each other whenever tempers flared.

Their last domestic scuffle took a tragic turn when the wife died.

Lee Show Fui, 34, was yesterday jailed for five years after pleading guilty to one count of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

He killed his China-born Singaporean wife, Madam Tang Shifang, 37, in their flat at Block 441B, Fernvale Road, in Sengkang on Aug 31, 2011.

Lee, who has been suffering from schizophrenia since 2007, lost his job as an administrative assistant for a nutrition company a week before the fatal incident.

But he did not tell his wife, said Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Eunice Ng.

When he overslept on Aug 31, Madam Tang, thinking he would be late for work, pulled his ear to wake him up and scolded him.

When Lee played a computer game instead, she slapped him on the right cheek, causing him to lose the game.

He retaliated by punching her in the abdomen and they started fighting.

Lee left the flat at 9.14am, pretending to go to work. But he soon went back to confront Madam Tang for having "bullied him" earlier, said DPP Ng.

Another violent fight broke out and Madam Tang, a coffee shop assistant, was killed.

The post-mortem on Sept 1 revealed that she had suffered 62 injuries (see report below) and she died due to massive abdominal haemorrhage from traumatic injuries to her left kidney.

In mitigation, Lee's lawyer, Mr Singa Retnam, told Justice Woo Bih Li that Madam Tang had often bullied him.

Before sentencing Lee, Justice Woo said: "No one is entitled to think he can retaliate with violence just because (his) wife started an altercation."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

1. I think competition of this sort should be for 18 and older ONLY (never have offered an under 18 san da match in my life)

2. All events should have qualified medical staff ON SITE

Well to start with, I agree with lkfmdc's tournament conditions. Free fight training or tournament should come close to real fight in order to test the athlete's skill. But to me, death is not an acceptable outcome. So the question is where do we draw the line. That means what is the acceptable format, rules, etc. ?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Irina Rybnikova

How tragic. Then again, using a phone in a charger in the bath is foolish.

TEENAGE MARTIAL ARTS CHAMPION DIES AFTER DROPPING MOBILE PHONE IN THE BATH
    BY BRENDAN COLE ON 12/12/18 AT 11:49 AM

Irina Rybnikova tragically died after dropping her phone in the bath while it was on charge.
    INSTAGRAM/IRINA RYBNIKOVA

A teenage girl in Russia, who was a martial arts champion, was electrocuted to death when she dropped her phone in the bath. Irina Rybnikova, 15, had been using a cable to charge her device in the Siberian city of Bratsk when the tragic incident occurred last Saturday.

Her sister Tatiana, 25, told the newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda that she had become the godmother to her young daughter. She told the paper: “My child adored her and called her 'nanny.' And now she is not with us anymore. Our hearts are torn up. It is so quiet and feels empty at home without her.”

Rybnikov was a champion fighter in pankration, which is a version of no rules boxing that originated in ancient Greece. She had won the all-Russian championship two months ago and had been selected for her country's national team.

One of her friends said: “She was a great person, the best and the most loved. She always dreamed of success in sports. We wanted to go together with her to another city and study there. Everybody loved her. She was sociable, kind and beautiful."

Her sports federation issued a statement saying: “A tragic accident has taken the life of our champion, friend, and student Irina Rybnikova, 15. She was a candidate for Master of Sports in pankration, our beloved girl. Rest in peace.”

Yury Agrafonov, the head of the radio-electronic department of Irkutsk State University, said: “Water is a good conductor for a current, this is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water. If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.”

Last week, a 16-year-old boy in Malaysia was electrocuted while charging his mobile phone at his home. The victim, identified as Mohd Aidi Azzhar Zahrin, was found dead by his mother. He was wearing the headphones while the handphone was charging, the New Strait Times reported.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Nitiyaporn Srisalai

Female muay thai champ found hanged in Ratchaburi

Breaking News December 18, 2018 19:30 By The Nation

A world muay thai champion was found hanged in her room at a boarding house near her university in Ratchaburi’s Mueang district yesterday morning, police said on Tuesday.

Police were alerted after Nitiyaporn Srisalai, 22, was found hanging from a nylon rope attached to the door frame at the back of the room, in Moo 5 village in Tambon Don Tako. Police did not find any trace of foul play, but there was a half-finished bottle of whisky in the room.
    Nitiyaporn was a fourth-year student at Rajabhat University, Moo Ban Jom Bueng, majoring in muay thai. She was well-known through her muay thai alias as Hong Khao of Rajabhat Moo Ban Jom Bueng. She first became a World Muay Thai Organisation champion in the 51-kilogram category, before going on to winning the title in the 52kg category. Nitiyaporn’s friends told police that they had been drinking with her at 8pm on Sunday night, before returning to their rooms. One of the friends called on her the following morning, but she did not answer persistent knocks on the door. They asked the owner of the boarding house to open the door with a spare key, only to find the body.

Charnchai Yommadit, president of the International Muay Thai Study Association, said on Tuesday that Nitiyaporn had been a highly capable muay thai boxer and her death was a great loss to the sport. Nitiyaporn’s parents were divorced and she had had to earn her own living and pay for her studies by boxing, he added.
    THREADS
    Martial Arts Deaths
    Muay Thai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips