Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Deaths

They were dull (but metal) swords- otherwise I probably *would* have lost the finger in that particular case. Of course, a duller blade can sometimes be even more dangerous than a sharp one.

For the rest of that class, I went to the back and stood behind *him*. His shoulders were very very tense. <wicked grin>. Unfortunately, he felt so geniunely bad about it that I didn't really have the heart to torture him any further.
    Last edited by Taryn P.; 03-09-2009 at 01:07 PM.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

True Story,
    At my old TKD dojang we had a guy we called "ninja bob", he liked to pretend he was a Ninja.
    One day I come in and he is with one of the junior belts (red belt) and he is teaching him how to use a sword.
    Ninja Bob had a real Ninja-To and the kid had a wooden ninja-to.
    The go up and down the floor with Ninja Bob slicing at the kid with the real sword and the kid "parrying" with the wooden sword.
    Well, I tell them to stop it because only idiots play games with real swords.
    Ninja Bob says, true ninjas play no games.
    Ninja Bob then proceeds to slice Junior Red Belts finger to the bone.
    I take the kid in the first aid room and handle it, he only got 8 stiches.
    The next day Ninja Bob comes in ( he left whiel I was helping the kid) and the Head Instructor goes up to him and punches him staight in the face, knocking him down the stairs into the landing at the base of the steps.
    3 of the students are coming in as this happens, the look down, see Ninja Bob, wall over him and come up stairs.
    I checked on Ninja Bob after I finished teaching one of the classes, about 2 hours after the incident, No Ninja Bob.
    Never saw him again, or maybe I did and he was just real well camouflaged.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i saw two men doing a set. one guy had a slegehammer. and the guy forgot to duck. well lets say they cut it short cause of all the blood coming out of his head and he was rushed to hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

staff application with the senior student, and my roomate at the time. Brokeded his finger. The next time we did staff application. he snaped mine.

alls fair i suppose. these are the things we can look back on and laugh at.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I broke my pinky holding a board. For some reason the aikido instructor decided to show some some kid how to break a board with a side kick, and enlisted my aid. AIKIDO instructor . He didn't hit anywhere near the middle and broke my distal phalanx.

I broke some poor kids tooth who was holding a board for me. I had him hold it one handed. The bottom half broke off and flew up into his face.

I broke a nose and got my nose broken empty hand sparring.

I slammed my shin with a metal staff.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Enumerating martial injuries:

I broke a finger sparring with boken.

I tore the tendon that connected my left arm to my left pectoral after an opponent in a JJ match spun in my guard and elbowed me on his way down.

I sprained both of my ankles at least once each.

I lost a tooth in a boxing match.

I've been punched in the throat hard enough to make me sick twice and I have a variety of skin scars, mostly on my hands.

Oh... and my nose is very slightly crooked so I probably broke it at some point but I don't really remember tha one.
    Last edited by SimonM; 03-09-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

self injuries are the best. you know how a lot of wushu (cma) schools have you kick your hands for line kick drills. well.....one time i snapped my ring finger doing that....i didnt know it was broken for a couple days though, i thought i hyperextened it....till i went to the doctor.

oh man, this thread makes me think of all those injuries over the years.

its actually a big pick me up, since none of them are there anymore LOL
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

uh, your supposed to slap your foot, NOT kick your hand.

whoever taught you must of missed a lesson somewhere

http://www.ehow.com/video_2355145_ku...slap-kick.html

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I was doing Kali stick drills with my training brother and he hits me right on the middle finger knuckle,hard. I am pain, the knuckle swelled up right quick, and he says,
    "C'mon, what are the chances that you'll get whacked on the exact same spot?"
    (never, never say this.)
    On the very FIRST exchange-WHACK! Right on the same exact knuckle. It split wide open and bled like a stuck pig. I'm holding it trying to stop the bleeding muttering,"what are the chances? yeah, right. Farkin bastid!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

You'd be amazed how often stuff like that happens by accident with stick drills. Your grip can have an impact on which part of your hand is most likely to get hit... as can your opponent's height, your height, stance, etc.

So it's actually very likely that if you get hit in a place once that's the place you will get hit again.

That's how I broke the finger.

It was my brother holding the offending boken.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    uh, your supposed to slap your foot, NOT kick your hand.

whoever taught you must of missed a lesson somewhere

http://www.ehow.com/video_2355145_ku...slap-kick.html
    i think you know what i meant.

i was messing around doing jumping kicks. doing tornado's and landing on the same kicking foot. then last kick of the night i did a jumping front slap kick. did it a million times, no problems. as i come down on the kicking foot i land wrong and my ankle bends in wards. i didn't break anything but my ankle swelled up to the size of a cantaloupe. my sihing put it back in place and the swelling went down to a tennis ball. 4 days later i had to drive home to mass from Florida.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    i was messing around doing jumping kicks. doing tornado's and landing on the same kicking foot. then last kick of the night i did a jumping front slap kick. did it a million times, no problems. as i come down on the kicking foot i land wrong and my ankle bends in wards. i didn't break anything but my ankle swelled up to the size of a cantaloupe. my sihing put it back in place and the swelling went down to a tennis ball. 4 days later i had to drive home to mass from Florida.
    Now, if it WASN'T the last kick of the night, I would be VERY impressed!
    lol!
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    Serves you right, jumping around like you have a pickle up your butt or something.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmek View Post
    Now, if it WASN'T the last kick of the night, I would be VERY impressed!
    lol!
    well i couldnt really do anything for a year plus. the doctor told me to stay off of it. and like a good patient i went back into kung fu and didnt do any kind of jumping for 6 months still then i coudlnt do much. its healed now, 2 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Serves you right, jumping around like you have a pickle up your butt or something.
    i dont even like pickles.