Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master David Cheung's new Wing Chun federation

Master David Cheung's new Wing Chun federation

It is my great pleasure to announce that TWCKF federation of Serbia, since
    5 .XI.2008 . is officialy associated with Master David Cheung .After ten days in Serbia , and five days seminar , TWCKF federation of Serbia made agreement with Master David Cheung , and he accepted responsibility of leading organization in the future . Now we officaly work David Cheung’s system
    ( unofficially we practiced this system for 30 years ) , and in the future we will use name “Shaolin Wing Chun” .

Master David visit the club in Pozarevac , and part of his demonstration on Budo Night in Veliko Gradiste , wich was organised in his honer
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JAt7cyvMA
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5abBxP7PH5Y

Couple of pictures - with mayor of Veliko Gradiste , and one groupe photo from seminar
    Last edited by zuti car; 11-12-2008 at 02:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    From what I understand William Cheung was forced to leave HK for Austrillia in a hurry as well as with Bruce Lee for States due to a gang related incident in HK . At that time he hadn't yet completed Yip Man's wing chun. So he kept bugging his brother David to come to Austrillia to show him the rest of the stuff, it was David Cheung who helped William Cheung to complete Yip Man's so called modified wing chun system.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 11-13-2008 at 12:26 AM.

From what I understand
    Your understanding appears to be inaccurate.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    From what I understand William Cheung was forced to leave HK for Austrillia in a hurry as well as with Bruce Lee for States due to a gand related incident in HK . At that time he hadn't yet completed Yip Man's wing chun. So he kept bugging his brother David to come to Austrillia to show him the rest of the stuff, it was David Cheung who helped William Cheung to complete Yip Man's so called modified wing chun system.
    You are so wrong. David learned from his older brother William Cheung. I know that for a fact. I was there when the subject came up in Toronto during Dim Sum with William Cheung's other brothers. There was also a discussion regarding how long Cheung Sifu lived in YM's home. Where do you get this crazy mis-information from???
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

kung fu fighter

Food for thought. Why is David doing and teaching TWC in those clips if he taught William Cheung?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

My first Sifu met and trained with David while there in Australia back in 86'. I understand that David trained in Wong Shun Leung system for some 10yrs, then was recruited by William to come teach at his Aussie Training center.

I think it's fair to say that W.Cheung taught David his TWC, but Navin was referring to the idea that maybe David taught William what he learned from the Wong line when he relocated to Australia.

From the vid's on Youtube it is amazing how much the too brothers move alike. In one vid, I thought it was William himself, but knew something was different about him. David seems to be smaller than William.

Zuti,

Is there any difference in what David is teaching you guys there, and what is being taught through William's organization?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Food for thought. Why is David doing and teaching TWC in those clips if he taught William Cheung?
    From what I was told, William didn't treat David very well at the Aussie school. Ever time William used David as a demo partner he would beat the crap out of him, so maybe he got sick of it and decided to leave like he did.

Again, I don't think Navin meant that David taught William TWC, but rather the rest of the so called "modified" system. It's debateable as to whether Yip Man even taught William what is called TWC, or if William invented it himself, or he learned HFY WC and changed the name???

James
    Last edited by sihing; 11-12-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    From what I understand William Cheung was forced to leave HK for Austrillia in a hurry as well as with Bruce Lee for States due to a gand related incident in HK . At that time he hadn't yet completed Yip Man's wing chun. So he kept bugging his brother David to come to Austrillia to show him the rest of the stuff, it was David Cheung who helped William Cheung to complete Yip Man's so called modified wing chun system.

***THIS is some serious trolling, fool...
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 11-13-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Zuti,

Is there any difference in what David is teaching you guys there, and what is being taught through William's organization?

James
    In the beginning they teached the same thing,i can say that now , William and David teach two different arts . The main difference is in approach to the art , what style should be , what to expect , what can be achived,also , David s method of passing knowledge is unique , and thing that i like most , there is no "close door ' studens , no "private classes" , no "secrets tecniques' - everything is open , and enyone who want to learn is welcome
    One more thing that we are douing is special form of Chi Kung, wich can be practiced as part of style or totaly separately , but it is very important to achive high level of proficiency in the system .

From what I was told, William didn't treat David very well at the Aussie school. Ever time William used David as a demo partner he would beat the crap out of him, so maybe he got sick of it and decided to leave like he did.
    I was at the school in the early 80's and saw none of that. Whether it occurred later I can't say.

or he learned HFY WC and changed the name???
    Funny I have heard this argument in reverse (and upside down and backwards). Perhaps the similarity between HFY, a non-Yip man linage, and TWC support the Leung Bik story. After all, if it were true then you would imagine that similarities should be found between TWC and non-Yip Man wing chun?
    Last edited by Museumtech; 11-12-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    In the beginning they teached the same thing,i can say that now , William and David teach two different arts . The main difference is in approach to the art , what style should be , what to expect , what can be achived,also , David s method of passing knowledge is unique , and thing that i like most , there is no "close door ' studens , no "private classes" , no "secrets tecniques' - everything is open , and enyone who want to learn is welcome
    One more thing that we are douing is special form of Chi Kung, wich can be practiced as part of style or totaly separately , but it is very important to achive high level of proficiency in the system .

Good luck to you Zuti, I hope you get out of the training what you seek from it.

Just beware of things, like you mentioned "special chi kung". All a fighting system can do is make one's body more able to produce power and good body mechanics, timing and the such while in combat. Special breathing excersises have really nothing to do with it, as chi will not make you a better fighter. It can help one learn how to breath properly when under stressful situations, and for health purposes I totally believe in chi kung, but it has nothing to do with one's fighting effectiveness. Good body mechanics, fast, powerful strikes and good mobile footwork are some of the things that make one hard to deal with in combat.

James

Blog Entries

Again, I don't think Navin meant that David taught William TWC, but rather the rest of the so called "modified" system. It's debateable as to whether Yip Man even taught William what is called TWC, or if William invented it himself, or he learned HFY WC and changed the name???

James
    Thanks James, that's exactly what i meant. no disrespect was intended to Phil or any other TWC practioners. Just sharing one of the the story that i heard about David Cheung.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 11-12-2008 at 06:17 PM.

From what I was told, William didn't treat David very well at the Aussie school. Ever time William used David as a demo partner he would beat the crap out of him, so maybe he got sick of it and decided to leave like he did. . . . James
    As early as last year David Cheung asked his brother William Cheung if he could come back to the school and teach.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-12-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Museumtech View Post
    I was at the school in the early 80's and saw none of that. Whether it occurred later I can't say. . . . .
    I also asked some of the older Aussie students and they concur with you. Rumors and stories run rampant in the martial arts community.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I do remember reading about David and William having some sort of a bust-up ... some time in the 1980's IIRC. David set up his own organisation shortly thereafter, not that I followed the story that closely or particularly cared.

William Cheung has had more than a few people leave his organisation, to the extent that the term "revolving door" might be appropriate, sometimes under fairly acrimonious circumstances, so having an argument with a sibling hardly seems out of character.

James' former instructor Brian Lewadny, and two of mine, David Crook and Rick Spain parted company with him, as did Marty Goldberg.

This is not to disrespect anyone who left or anyone who stayed, just a statement of fact.

It's this part that is unlikely IMO:

So he kept bugging his brother David to come to Austrillia to show him the rest of the stuff, it was David Cheung who helped William Cheung to complete Yip Man's so called modified wing chun system.
    The usual story has it that Willam completely learned both "versions" from YM. WSL was also one of very few of his contemporaries that he kept up a good relationship with. Unless there were some issues of face or pride on WCheung's part, there's no reason that he couldn't have got whatever "secrets" WSL got directly from WSL.

It would be sensible (albeit uncommonly so in Wing Chun) for people like the Cheung brothers and WSL to share ideas. But to extrapolate that into the scenario quoted above is IMO absurd.
    Last edited by anerlich; 11-12-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!