Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Master David Cheung's new Wing Chun federation

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    In the beginning they teached the same thing,i can say that now , William and David teach two different arts . The main difference is in approach to the art , what style should be , what to expect , what can be achived,also , David s method of passing knowledge is unique , and thing that i like most , there is no "close door ' studens , no "private classes" , no "secrets tecniques' - everything is open , and enyone who want to learn is welcome
    One more thing that we are douing is special form of Chi Kung, wich can be practiced as part of style or totaly separately , but it is very important to achive high level of proficiency in the system .
    Closed Door means you've become a family member to your Sifu. We have no secrets. You can watch our classes for free here:
    http://www.streamingmartialarts.com/index.php
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Closed Door means you've become a family member to your Sifu. We have no secrets. You can watch our classes for free here:
    http://www.streamingmartialarts.com/index.php
    As Master David exsplaned to me , there is only one way to become member of the family , but i can not put that on the forum .

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Good luck to you Zuti, I hope you get out of the training what you seek from it.

Just beware of things, like you mentioned "special chi kung". All a fighting system can do is make one's body more able to produce power and good body mechanics, timing and the such while in combat. Special breathing excersises have really nothing to do with it, as chi will not make you a better fighter. It can help one learn how to breath properly when under stressful situations, and for health purposes I totally believe in chi kung, but it has nothing to do with one's fighting effectiveness. Good body mechanics, fast, powerful strikes and good mobile footwork are some of the things that make one hard to deal with in combat.

James
    I agree with what you said . I used word "special ' to make distinction in approach from others chi kuing systems , nothing else , i will try to expalne what we are douing when i have some free time .

is it really different. Its all abdominal breathing, but it sounds better if you learn something no one else knows. You talk to a conditioning coach and they will show you exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    As Master David exsplaned to me , there is only one way to become member of the family , but i can not put that on the forum .
    Not exactly. Bi Si is common in the Chinese arts. Here's an example using my former kung fu brother. http://www.uskungfu.com/pedro_cepero%20Yee.htm
    He even adopted his Sifu's last name.
    http://www.yeeshungga.com/clifton/sifu.html
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-13-2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

i have heard (read) stories that say one taught the other and vice versa

some by a student of one that became a student of the other - this person said that his more recent instructor challenged the whole room at a seminar - including his brother

in all fairness, the reason there are arguments around this (i guess) is because both these teachers have managed to win the hearts and minds of their students, almost certainly through their individual fantastic ability and ability to pass on their respective knowledge.

if i was a student of either i would find it an honour, as i do with my present instructor, and wouldnt care who taught who what. is the object of teaching not to let your students surpass your level?

in all fairness, the reason there are arguments around this (i guess) is because both these teachers have managed to win the hearts and minds of their students, almost certainly through their individual fantastic ability and ability to pass on their respective knowledge.
    Also in all fairness, IMO a lot of it has to do with the fact that neither are exactly backward in talking up their own abilities and accomplishments and belittling those of their contemporaries, including each other. I can respect the persons but still shake my head at some of their behaviour.

some by a student of one that became a student of the other - this person said that his more recent instructor challenged the whole room at a seminar - including his brother
    LOL. This is why many regard TCMA as a joke. They should have all jumped him at once.

It sounds like the student chose the flakier of the two then, doesn't it? Time to reconsider, perhaps.

Rick Spain and David Crook both fell out with William Cheung after immature behaviour at seminars. There was the 1986 Cologne incident, and now this challenge to/from a sibling. I'd be giving up on seminars with this sort of track record.

Extremely egotistical and stupid to challenge someone under such circumstances. What about the hapless people who pay good money to become part of such an exhibition of human folly without an opportunity to choose?

The students pays me or my brother money, so I'm going to challenge them? Time for that Big Yellow Taxi.

I already have a nice family and don't need another. Don't you?

if i was a student of either i would find it an honour, as i do with my present instructor
    Hopefully your guy doesn't throw out challenges at seminars.
    Last edited by anerlich; 11-13-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Since my name was thrown in to this thread, I'll add a comment -

OMFG, does this garbage ever end? Who cares if William and David want to duke it out over who has what, or some of their students want to debate it. Just doesn't matter, and its been going on for a quite a long time, and I've heard so many different versions of who said what when, etc. Some of David's students I was friends with online back in early 90's even stated David left because he got fed up with William "watering down" stuff publicly starting in the mid 80's, which is when the bad treatment between the two started, and appointing Dana to run things in his and David's absences was supposedly the last straw. You know what though, its William's school and William's art, and if David didn't like things, there's the door. Just as William was shown the door by students that didn't like his behavior at seminars. And in the end it doesn't matter, it doesn't directly involve any of you, and it's just gossip. If you're going to gossip, at least do it while getting your nails and hair done like the professional gossipers.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    Since my name was thrown in to this thread, I'll add a comment -

OMFG, does this garbage ever end?
    No more to add. However if anyone want's to continue with the garbage, read this thread first. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=52516

Peter

One Wing Chun tree, many Wing Chun branches

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    It's debateable as to whether Yip Man even taught William what is called TWC, or if William invented it himself, or he learned HFY WC and changed the name???

James
    For a HFY perspective on the matter please read this link entitled One Wing Chun tree, many Wing Chun branches

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510

In truth, tracing the genealogy of WC is far from complete. As there still exists "branches" of WC that have yet to present themselves to the public at large. As well as others that may have tragically become lost arts to the passage of time.

Who knows what information may still exist out there regarding the relationship between Leung Bik and Yip Man.

On another note, I would like to address this "secrets" issue....

There are no secrets! Like it or not, there is simply just knowledge that some have that other's don't because they have put the time and hard work in to educate themselves.

But instead of simply taking the time to learn and truly appreciate these differences amongst our WC families.... Some here would rather deem these differences as secrets and therefore attempt to cast a negative light on some members of our WC family.

Put it this way...

Does a college professor hold secrets from a grade school student? No, but until the grade school student puts some time in and finishes elementary, and high school or there equivalents... they will not be able to fully absorb and comprehend a lecture by the college professor.

This is the nature of learning.

And btw... refusing to post video's is not a form of keeping secrets. It's a form of quality control.

Last edited by duende; 11-17-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Back to Serbia

BTW, good luck Zuti Car. I always enjoy your clips when they are posted.

Train hard,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    In truth, tracing the genealogy of WC is far from complete. As there still exists "branches" of WC that have yet to present themselves to the public at large. As well as others that may have tragically become lost arts to the passage of time.
    How do you know there are "branches" of WCK that have yet to present themselves?

Who knows what information may still exist out there regarding the relationship between Leung Bik and Yip Man.
    There is no compelling evidence that Leung Bik practiced WCK or taught Yip Man other than the story that was developed by Lee Man as a marketing ploy.

On another note, I would like to address this "secrets" issue....

There are no secrets! Like it or not, there is simply just knowledge that some have that other's don't because they have put the time and hard work in to educate themselves.
    WCK is not a system of knowledge and is not knowledge-based; it is, like any martial art or sport, a skill, and is skill-based. As such, our abilitiy to do it doesn't depend on intellectual knowledge (any more than our ability to play basketball depends on knowledge). You simply need to learn the few skills that you need to do the activity (the fundamentals).

But instead of simply taking the time to learn and truly appreciate these differences amongst our WC families.... Some here would rather deem these differences as secrets and therefore attempt to cast a negative light on some members of our WC family.
    The different branches or "families" (what a silly term) are just different ways that different people have TRIED to teach the same thing. They are curriculums; they are not WCK. The curriculum is not the subject matter.

Put it this way...

Does a college professor hold secrets from a grade school student? No, but until the grade school student puts some time in and finishes elementary, and high school or there equivalents... they will not be able to fully absorb and comprehend a lecture by the college professor.

This is the nature of learning.

And btw... refusing to post video's is not a form of keeping secrets. It's a form of quality control.

Your analogy of a college professor teaching an academic, intellectual, knowledge-based course is poorly conceived. WCK is not an intellectual pursuit. WCK is a fighting method, and like boxing or wrestling is an open skill. Are there secrets in boxing or wrestling? No. It's not a matter of being able to "fully absorb and comprehend a lecture by a college professor." In fact, sports and fighting methods and physical skills can't be learned or developed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    How do you know there are "branches" of WCK that have yet to present themselves?
    There are "branches" in mainland China and presumably SE Asia which are not well known to those of us in the West. Presumably there are those which are known about but do not advertise nor teach openly. You know ... those ones that are still fighting the Qing

The different branches or "families" (what a silly term) are just different ways that different people have TRIED to teach the same thing. They are curriculums; they are not WCK. The curriculum is not the subject matter.
    I don't know Terence. I kind of think "you are what you train". Personally (without getting into details) the way I used to train would have produced different actions to the way I train now.

I agree about the difference in academic learning. The knowledge is generally freely available and you really are only limited by your intelligence and aptitude for learning/thinking. That is why you have 15yr olds getting university degrees in maths, physics, etc. No teachers keeping the knowledge to a select group of acolytes, or sharing knowledge 20yrs later when the student thought they had all there was to learn.
    Last edited by CFT; 11-17-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    There are "branches" in mainland China and presumably SE Asia which are not well known to those of us in the West. Presumably there are those which are known about but do not advertise nor teach openly. You know ... those ones that are still fighting the Qing
    In my view, the 'branches" aren't important -- the "root" is. The "branches" are just differing ways of getting to the root. When you get stuck on a branch, you never get to the root.

I don't know Terence. I kind of think "you are what you train". Personally (without getting into details) the way I used to train would have produced different actions to the way I train now.
    Don't all the branches have bong, tan, fook, etc.? Don't they all have chi sao, lop sao, turning punch drills?

You may say, "yes they all have those things but how they practice them differs" -- but my reply would be that those different ways are different examples but are not meant to be definative or prohibitive (in that you can't do them in other ways). That would be getting stuck on the branch and not getting to the root. When you really take those things and fight with them, over time, you'll find your own way of making them work, your own WCK.