Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Forget the History, Forget the Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Museumtech View Post
    ****ing contests (can I say that here?)
    Guess not.

Boxing is not flashy, neither is judo and certainly not BJJ.
    You haven't seen my new Keiko gi. and, the patches ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I wrote the following earlier:

Irrespective of functional modes of training, the downfall of Wing Chun will be the failure of Wing Chun men to;

a) pressure test;
    b) adapt; and
    c) evolve.

This particular debate isn't decrying the validity of historical accuracy. I am sure most people have no problem providing some kind of acknowledgment to the founders and the underlying traditions.

The issue seems to be more one of preservation. There are those who cling onto the fabric of history claiming the art as being unbeatable and cite as their examples the mythical exploits of Gung Fu men from a bygone era.

And there are those who seek empirical verification and are only prepared to don Wing Chun armour that has been battle tested.

This issue is further compounded by the preservationists who complain that those who test, evolve and adapt, depart too far from the system for them to continue to call themselves Wing Chun men.

Suki Gosal
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    You haven't seen my new Keiko gi. and, the patches ...
    Wear it to class Wednesday the 3rd Dec. I hope to fly up and see Rick. I'll take a photo and post it here for adjudication.

Oh no, Anerlich in his new gi... Please don't post a picture of that on this forum! The wing chun gods will freak out!

As for this:

"a) pressure test;
    b) adapt; and
    c) evolve."

***THAT is the key, alright.

And it was followed by this:

"There are those who cling onto the fabric of history claiming the art as being unbeatable and cite as their examples the mythical exploits of Gung Fu men from a bygone era."

***CONTRIBUTING to the footnote syndrome.

And this:

"And there are those who seek empirical verification and are only prepared to don Wing Chun armour that has been battle tested."

***AFTER 3+ decades in wing chun, I've become one of these people. No more time to waste on stuff that doesn't work.

And this:

"This issue is further compounded by the preservationists who complain that those who test, evolve and adapt, depart too far from the system for them to continue to call themselves Wing Chun men."

***AND these are the people who will lead the way into the land of HISTORICAL FOOTNOTES.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 11-15-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Oh no, Anerlich in his new gi... Please don't post a picture of that on this forum! The wing chun gods will freak out!
    Wing Chun people don't wear gi's? Do they? Sheeot. Gotta change the track pants and adidias shirts in for a new gi. D@mn. And here I thought Impossible Is Nothing.

LOL!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Wing Chun people don't wear gi's?
    They do when they take BJJ classes for gi.

Museumtech, I'm not normally there on Wednesdays (BJJ night at another academy) but I'll see what I can do. I AM there on Thursdays.

On the original subject, IMO WC has to have the forms, bummy, chi sao (and kiu sao, however you define that) and the traditional weapons so that it remains a TCMA. Without those it ceases to be WC.

That said, you don't always have to do it exactly the way your master and their master said. This stuff is supposed to be a framework for contructive thought, not something to snuff it out.
    Last edited by anerlich; 11-16-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

They do when they take BJJ classes for gi.
    I know this. Guess my sarcasm-fu is weak. LOL
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

On the original subject, IMO WC has to have the forms, bummy, chi sao (and kiu sao, however you define that) and the traditional weapons so that it remains a TCMA. Without those it ceases to be WC...
    There's no bummy in my wing chun!

BTW, I forgot the history and I forgot the politics. Does that mean I don't need to read this thread?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

There's no bummy in my wing chun!
    My condolences

Forget the History, Forget the Politics
    That's a hard thing to do and IMO made increasingly harder with each new thread reminding people of the problems of history and politics. Might be easier to just not harbor resentment towards others whose history and politics differ from yours.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Might even be easier if ALL the history and politics were just put aside and people got back to the basics as to what works and what doesn't in a martial setting...

as we don't need history lessons or individual political chest-beating to see what's what when the fighting/sparring/rolling is live.

Quote Originally Posted by Museumtech View Post
    ... into linage bashing or ****ing contests (can I say that here?) ...
    Pissing? Works for me .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Might even be easier if ALL the history and politics were just put aside and people got back to the basics as to what works and what doesn't in a martial setting...
    You left out and just focus on your own training.
    as we don't need history lessons or individual political chest-beating to see what's what when the fighting/sparring/rolling is live.
    "we" sounds like there is either some history or politics behind that.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by canglong View Post
    ... "we" sounds like there is either some history or politics behind that.
    LOLorama... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan