Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp Back up from a Laptop question

Windows Xp Back up from a Laptop question

When I go to do the back up, it wants me to insert a floppy disk at the end of the process...but I don't have a floppy drive.

Does this mean I can't restore the system if need be?

Blog Entries
    try repetitively tapping F8 as you reboot until you get the options.....give that a try
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    yes, you have to have to backup disc that comes with windows hp. i just had a bluescreen of death pop up and it cost me 50 bucks to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    try repetitively tapping F8 as you reboot until you get the options.....give that a try
    Reply]
    That won't help. This is not a matter of the bios not seeing the drive. The Laptop does not even physically have a floppy drive. It's just got a CD/DVD drive.

Blog Entries
    how about getting an external floppy drive?

yes, you have to have to backup disc that comes with windows hp. i just had a bluescreen of death pop up and it cost me 50 bucks to get back in.
    Reply]
    I have all the windows install disks and such. What I want to do is back up my hardrive and system settings onto a separate USB harddrive in case of some sort of catostropic incident that destroys my system. If I have a back up on the external USB drive, it will be a simple matter of running the restore wizard to fix the system.

The problem is that I have a laptop, which I (like a dummy) installed the XP corporate desktop version on, instead of the laptop version, so it has a back up utility that expects there to be a floppy drive installed...but I don't have a floppy at all.

I was able to copy paste all the data to the back up, so that is saved just fine,BUT I want to be able to just run a restore wizard and have it completely rebuild the system, data, software and settings all in one easy step, rather than do it all the hard way if there is a problem.

how about getting an external floppy drive?
    Reply]
    That is a thought. Although, if I go that route, I might be better off buying an aftermarket back up program that gives me more options than Windows XP does. Then I could do it all in one step, rather than two.

Before I spend the money though, I want to see if there is a quick fix, or maybe find out if i can do a restore without the floppy. If that is the case, then I don't have a problem after all. I have to find out though. I'd hate to have a crash and find out after that the original backup did not work, and I have to rebuild the system manually.

Right now, if something happened, I am still covered, it would just be lots of work to rebuild.

Blog Entries
    shouldn't you be able to do that onto a blank cd?

or can you choose which drive to use to save it?

Blog Entries
    luckily for me, i saved the book i'm writing onto a separate disk because i lost everything on my computer........sucks.......

fer Chrissakes, and not to be a d1ck, but buy a Mac already guys, and these sorts of conversations will become just a bad memory...(in all seriousness, I strongly advocate it - my wife used to be a die hard Windows gal, after a few months seeing what it was like to have a Mac around, she switched over and never looked back)
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 11-14-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    on a scale of 1-10.......where would you rank it?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    fer Chrissakes, and not to be a d1ck, but buy a Mac already guys, and these sorts of conversations will become just a bad memory...(in all seriousness, I strongly advocate it - my wife used to be a die hard Windows gal, after a few months seeing what it was like to have a Mac around, she switched over and never looked back)
    Reply]
    No, we will have all new conversations like how to spend endless hours in never ending frustration *TRYING* to make a useless Mac run critical, programs that my business DEPENDS ON because it is INCAPABLE OF FUCKING RUNNING THEM!!!! When I should be running my business and making Goddammed money!!

LISTEN YOU STUPID MORON!!

Macs are DEFICIENT USELESS BOXES THAT ****DON'T**** RUN ****ANY**** OF MY SOFTWARE!!!!

They ***DON'T*** WORK AT ALLL, CAN'T RUN ANY PROGRAMS THAT MY BUSINESS **DEPENDS** ON, AND ARE OVER PRICED PAPERWEIGHTS!!!!

NO SHUT THE SAM HELL UP AND GO SPOUT YOUR NONSENSICAL, BRAINWASHED, RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 11-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    That is a thought. Although, if I go that route, I might be better off buying an aftermarket back up program that gives me more options than Windows XP does. Then I could do it all in one step, rather than two.

Before I spend the money though, I want to see if there is a quick fix, or maybe find out if i can do a restore without the floppy. If that is the case, then I don't have a problem after all. I have to find out though. I'd hate to have a crash and find out after that the original backup did not work, and I have to rebuild the system manually.

Right now, if something happened, I am still covered, it would just be lots of work to rebuild.
    Go buy you an external USB drive and a copy of Symantec Ghost.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

on a scale of 1-10.......where would you rank it?
    are you asking about a Mac? if so, I have to give it at minimum an 8/10 (for basic models - the high-end dual processor stuff is 10/10, IMPE), and I'll tell ya why:
    • takes less than a minute from turning the machine on to being fully booted, all the time (except right after a software update download);
    • unlike Windows, which is basically a software product on top of a buggy operating system (DOS), the Mac OS is what you run programs from, so one less piece of software as intermediary
    • because it's so stable, you can leave it on for days on end in sleep mode and pick up right where you left off;
    • if a program does freeze (very rare, happens mostly w/internet sites that hang while loading), the Linux-based system is set up in such a way that you just force quit that particular program and re-open it without having to reboot the system
    • loading software is a cinch, compatibility issues are almost non-existent;
    • no need for virus protection (they used to include it, they don't even bother now - you just download security updates every so often, but even the Norton guys a few years back were like "the best way to protect against a virus is to use a mac"); this is evidently because writing Mac viruses is more difficult, because the operating system is much more stable
    • Keynote - blows away Power Point; I also prefer Safari to IE for browsing
    • graphic functions are awesome and totally easy to use (e.g. - Parella switched over and has self-produced some very cool CLF / Lama dioramas he had printed out on posterboard and put up in the school); especially if you want to self-publish your book - that's what Mac's are designed for - graphics / publishing industry!
    • more subjective, but I prefer the entire interface much more - it just "flows" a lot better than the Windows platform (remember, they basically ripped off Mac for the idea anyway)
    • typically the monitor quality is better

I could go on, but to me, it's no contest; I know it's a bit more $$$ up front, but I promise you that that it is a worthy investment,

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I know you probably don't believe this but MACs do occasionally have hardware failures. I know, it's a crazy thought...but backing up your MAC might not be a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!