Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Candle training?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

You may have heard of the paper punching exercise too. Some schools hold a piece of paper up vertically and punch close to it causing it to go horizontal with the sheer energy of the punch.

In my school we hold the paper up in front of a burning candle. The first strike is to rip a hole in the paper. The really skilled among us do this without touching it. The second strike is to use our energy to horizontalize the paper, which causes it to catch fire. We then do a leaping forward breakfall through the burning hoop made in the paper and use the ball of chi energy caused by our flying bodies to put out the candle, the paper, and our hair/saffron robes. This flow of chi training is done within one second (that's the two strikes and the roll). A1 size paper is best, but the most advanced level seniors have the sensitivity to do it with a piece of A4.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    In my school we hold the paper up in front of a burning candle. The first strike is to rip a hole in the paper. The really skilled among us do this without touching it. The second strike is to use our energy to horizontalize the paper, which causes it to catch fire. We then do a leaping forward breakfall through the burning hoop made in the paper and use the ball of chi energy caused by our flying bodies to put out the candle, the paper, and our hair/saffron robes. This flow of chi training is done within one second (that's the two strikes and the roll). A1 size paper is best, but the most advanced level seniors have the sensitivity to do it with a piece of A4.
    it's obvious you are lying - anyone with the true skill knows that after the leaping forward breakfall you end up standing on one toe on top of the extinguished candle...

anyway, that is the yang aspect of the practice; the yin aspect is here

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Other Than the Three Mentioned Candle Practice Techniques?

Striking at the flame with a Crane's beak. Striking at the flame with a heel kick. Striking at the flame with a roundhouse kick (toes pointed, ball of foot). Strike with poking part of snakehead (flathand). Strike with Snake tail--Leopard's fist, index finger extended. Strike with Phoenix-eye fist. Strike with Dragon's head fist. Strike with palm heel. Strike with palm center. Strike with kneestrike with heel (back kick). Strike with bottom of foot or heel (side kick). Strike with backfist. Strike with the Leopard fist. Strike with tiger claw. Strike with Leopard paw. Strike with elbow (horizontal (forward, backward), vertical (forward, backward). Strike with headbutt. Strike with pole/staff. Strike with tonfa/tuifa. Strike with sai (thrust). Strike with side of palm heel. Strike with side of palm.

These are merely done as close as needed without touching the wick or flame. An inch away is standard start. As you understand the force and breathing blend with positioning/technique learn those things for a new distance. Be back as far as your skill allows. Skill come in consistantly extinquishing from as far back as you are able. My method of successful is within five attempts per time; ten times in a row. Then a little far ther back (really little).

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 12-04-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: far ther+side of palm
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

seriously.

this is nonsense and will develop no skill whatsoever other than a bizarre way to put candles out.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Candles don't punch back.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

A Neat Trick

Master Smith from SD can put out a candle from three feet away with a palm strike and a punch. I saw this a few times in person, not on video. He wasn't whipping his hand to generate more air flow either. Both strikes were straight out. I attended a seminar where he taught the technique, it was free BTW. (have to get my jabs on the SD haters ) He said that the candle is just a fun way to develop good snap and power in your techniques, and can be used as a basic way to practice directing your internal energy. He also said that the best way to increase your own energy flow was through consistent meditation and practicing the internal MAs constantly. The belief in Qi has been discussed to death. You either believe it, or you don't. I have seen enough with my own eyes from Master Smith, Master Green, and other MAs outside of SD to convince me that there is something more to it all than just good body mechanics, but I don't think that there is anyone out there who's going to bust out some Dragonball Z crap either. This is JMO. It and a dollar will get you a soda. Have fun and don't burn yourself. Peace.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

hi this is to train explosive power but mainly train the eyes, you punch where you look
    my advice is to move more away from the candel, putting it out isnt the goal if someone puts it out theyre probably using a trick
    Last edited by bawang; 12-05-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The candle punching is very standard for styles that focus on Fa Jing.

You have to focus the power to the part of the hand...nothing mystical at all. The more focused you can be with the strike...

You are actually creating a focused column of air with the strike. A sloppy one is not concentrated and so won't put out the candle. (It is NOT a swooshing of air)

Done correctly, the flame just sort of disappears instead of leaning over and going out.

Open hand strike, punch, knife edge...and then you CAN try the kicking...but feet are harder.

You have to be totally relaxed, issue the Fa Jing whipping motion, and then AIM... doing that with the hand is one thing. With the foot, your whole body has to be totally supple...or you have to know a really good chiropractor...you will need him.

for staring at the candle. i know there is a training method similar that is to stare at the smoke off of incense.

the training is for you visual perception.

if your eyes are constantly training to watch rapidly changing movement it can help your visual perception time.

you can also do this by sparring.

i like to hit my heavy bag.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You know this is gonna turn into a thread about the kinky uses of candle wax.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Here We Go...lol

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ya just had to go there didn't ya?
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

So sanjuro ronin, are you going to show us or what? Not fair to just mention some hidden training technique and then not share!

My eyes...My Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONSIHING View Post
    So sanjuro ronin, are you going to show us or what? Not fair to just mention some hidden training technique and then not share!
    Please no! Just the thought of the visual has traumatized me! Just say no man...please!

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    you forgot to link the picture man
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.