Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Candle training?

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Master Smith from SD can put out a candle from three feet away with a palm strike and a punch. I saw this a few times in person, not on video. He wasn't whipping his hand to generate more air flow either. Both strikes were straight out. I attended a seminar where he taught the technique, it was free BTW. (have to get my jabs on the SD haters ) He said that the candle is just a fun way to develop good snap and power in your techniques, and can be used as a basic way to practice directing your internal energy. He also said that the best way to increase your own energy flow was through consistent meditation and practicing the internal MAs constantly. The belief in Qi has been discussed to death. You either believe it, or you don't. I have seen enough with my own eyes from Master Smith, Master Green, and other MAs outside of SD to convince me that there is something more to it all than just good body mechanics, but I don't think that there is anyone out there who's going to bust out some Dragonball Z crap either. This is JMO. It and a dollar will get you a soda. Have fun and don't burn yourself. Peace.
    I only wish I knew what happened to my VHS tape from sometime in the '80s of the demo with the candle by Master Smith. He performed this with his gi top off and his mouth taped so no one could say he was blowing it out.
    He would do a little warm up of his raising his shoulder and dropping the heel of his palm at the candle. He was so fast that only by playing the tape back frame by frame could you see that what occured was he put the candle out by pushing the air in front of him with his palm till his arm was fully extended and then he snapped his hand down straight at the candle. He withdrew his arm straight back and snapped his hand up when he got back to the starting position. While in real time it looked like he put the candle out at about three feet or so, it was really less. It was most impressive how quick he really was.
    Last edited by BM2; 12-06-2008 at 11:21 AM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Extinguishing Candleflame by Punch from No_Know

Last edited by No_Know; 12-08-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: the video, getting a good link; b to p
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

There's something to be said for the physical development that can be had from something as simple as trying to punch out a candle's flame. The cardio benefit alone can be significant.

That being said, the whole "put the candle out with your qi" nonsense is just so much mumbo-jumbo.

The power that is generated has far less to do with "qi" than it does with the physical development, focus, and speed generated by punching repeatedly, dozens and dozens, even hundreds and hundreds, of times.

No need for complex, fanciful explanations based on magic powers. Just good old fashioned training.
    VIRTUS ET HONOS

tell me about using air, i mean, qi, to put out a candle (vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCaTU...eature=related

Someone was all "whatever dude that's fake, why don't you put out a kerosene lamp then?"

So he did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mHgf...e=channel_page

also said:

Brother Iron Palm is just a catch phrase. Iron Palm is the foundation to all of the advanced (poison hand) skills. Technically this is more of a vibrational training. This comes from the John (Wing-Lok) Ng family style, a clan of bodyguards in Fujin China. Basically it has been kept a secret from the world until it was published in Inside Kung Fu in 2002 and until my brothers and myself put it on youtube.
    wat
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

If only the guy had an education, he'd realize its not chi he's projecting... its ****ing air... ugh...

Train Hard,
    -Ngfamilymember
    Ng Family Member

how does he do it through the glass, then?

Are you serious?

Theres an opening at the top of the glass.

He's pushing air downward not only into the glass, but onto the glass.

Aside from the air travelling downward, the other air travels up the glass and into the opening at the top.

Lets see him do it without that top being open and then we'll talk...

**** you you mother****ing ***got.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Put down the bottle and sleep it off, kid.

Kind of reminds me of that douche with the bowl hair cut that the Amazing Randy outed as a fraud, except this guy doesn't know it.

lol +3 to this bit.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I tried it last night using a candle and I couldn't put it out. Guess I don't have magical qi shooting iron palm

so what you're saying is it wouldn't work in a vacuum where there's no air.