Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Candle training?

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest

punching out candles ... are you training or playing?

does it do anything at all for power, speed, or focus, or is it just a neat party trick?

where's my beer?

Jaguar Wong Guest
    I really don't know, but it either takes a very focused punch, or a really sloppy fanning punch (I've done it both ways...the latter is much easier and it impresses the chicks). Didn't Mas Oyama practice this? I would think he's got some punching power, but I'm sure he developed it in other ways (makiwara/tamashiwara).

Jaguar Wong

atsai Guest
    I usually just blow out the candles. Are there any training that teach you to light a candle w/ punches? ;)

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

RedDragon Guest
    how do u punch out candles? i wanna try and punch out all my birthday candles this year :D

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall."

Stranger Guest
    Mas Oyama did practice this.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

joedoe Guest
    I tried punching out a candle once but it fought back :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi

Ryu Guest
    When I was younger I actually did do this! :D

After some reflection though, sadly, I suspect it was just wind being blown by my palm instead of "Chi" :D

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to "choke out" a candle. ;)

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

joedoe Guest
    Well the candle I tried to punch out ended up mounting me and doing the ground and pound. Then before I knew it he had me in a rear naked choke and I was gone ... :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi

kwokfist Guest
    trad. stylists say its your Chi vibrating from your speeding fist and disrupting the flame, cancelling it out.

But, most stylists nowadays who do it have just found a deceiving, convincing way of putting out the flame by pushing as much air against it as possible and making your punch really really fast.

Longquan Guest

Who hasn't done this

The candle thing is soooo stupid in my opinion. It is the withdrawal that puts it out. Wave a candle slow mo back and forth (not to slow mo). It goes out.

Now if you can put out a tire fire...

atsai Guest
    I'd like to see people punch out flame from a zippo.

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

buddhistfist Guest
    It shows something when you can do it from 10 to 20 feet away like some sifu's I have heard about.Most people can do it from a foot or two if they know how to punch properly

Kevin73 Guest
    I have never heard anything about your "chi" having anything to do with it. It was used to train throwing a snapping technique properly, the punch comes back twice as fast and if you do that it will extinguish the flame.

Yes, it's a good tool for developing focus and distance (too close and hot wax is all over the place). but it is not for developing power.

"God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

YiLiQuan1 Guest

You guys are starting to scare me...

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with qi. Perhaps those who stand still focusing their non-moving punch/palm strike/etc. at the flame envisioning the flame extinguishing under the force of their qi are doing something that deals with qi, but actually punching AT the flame in order to extinguish it deals ONLY with developing the speed of the technique.

In order to "blow out" the candle, you have to push the air ahead of your technique. This means that your technique must move faster than the air can "slide" out from in front of it. In order to do this, you have to strike VERY quickly. (You will notice in no time that punches are easy, but knife hands, spear hands, etc. are MUCH harder to execute successfully due to their smaller surface area, thus requiring a significantly faster strike).

This is an excellent training technique, especially so for internal stylists. It is nearly impossible to consistently put out the flame if you tense the strike AT ALL. In our school, the litmus test is at least 10 out of 10 putting out the flame. If you do 8 and pooch it, start over at 1. 10 out of 10 is the standard. When you can do that, you will find your technique is pretty sharp...

Good training! :cool:

Matt Stone

IronFist Guest
    So you just put a candle on a table at chest height and then punch at it? From how far away do you start?

Iron