Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Candle training?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I love the way John thinks
    yea...i've held back from jumping on this thread all day...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The purpose of candle training is to train the proper recoil. You're strikes need to some "snap" to them.

When you get it right you're teaching your body issue a whip-like, penetrating type of force/strike. This type of strike can really do some damage - even a seemingly light one.

I want to caution against spending too much time with this training method. Once you get it you should only be practicing once a week for (at most) 10 min. Another poster suggested spending most of your time on a heavy bag. This is great advice.

I wrote a blog post on my site about candle training:

3 Ways a Candle can Improve Your Kung Fu!

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    Donjitsu2

I like your post.

I learned candle training (candle striking) and it is definitely of benefit, but as you said, once you get it, move on.

My Sifu would line up about 10 candles and we would go down the line putting out the flames with a reverse punch. If we even touched the candle, let alone knocked it over, it was drop and give him 10, get up and move on. It was like a kung fu candle striking assembly line. Those were great times!

Another candle method he taught is candle meditation (I forgot the actual name of this qigong). It is where you stare at the candle in a manner similar to early morning/evening sungazing.

I was taught this as a teen and had a wild experience with it. I was taught how to do it and went home to practice. I had a hard time, but as always I had more persistance than natural talent. After trying to do this every night for who knows how long, one night I had a bizarre experience.

As I was staring at the flame and doing the things I was taught, instead of me looking at the light, suddenly the light entered my eyes and filled my whole body. I felt like I was floating and light was coming out of every pore of my body. It was the most crazy thing I have ever experienced! Then after who knows how long, I snapped out of it and everything was back to normal. After this experience, I doubled my efforts in candle light meditation, but eventually gave up and went on to something else, as I could never duplicate this experience.

And no, I wasn't eating those funny little mushrooms!

Eric Hunstad
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

whisper punch

What is 'whisper punch' in Mandarin?
    Deadly Blow

Other kung fu masters really can't hold a candle to Chen Jia.

Chen has become a sensation in central China after mastering ancient, deadly 'whisper punch' techniques from the Shaolin temple where kung fu began centuries ago.

Dedicated Chen, 23, demonstrates the skill by blowing out a series of candles up to six feet away from him with just the air generated by his punch.

"The punch projects through the air to strike an opponent without you actually laying a finger on him.

"It takes a lot of concentration and accuracy," explained Chen, from Zhengzhou, Henan province.

"I studied at the Shaolin temple for eight years and I want people to know that their skills are real, not just stunts from films of legends," he added.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In Taiwan, I remember reading a Chinese-language book on gongs that had a training method called "yin chuan", which involved standing in horst stance, and punching downward towards a bucket or big bowl of water, in an attempt to cause it to splash from a distance. If I remember right, the book was written by a northern teacher there named Wang Feng-Ting.

*add:
    I think the book was about Tongzi Gong (gongs for children).
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Since I started candle training, I don't think I'm going to be invited back to any birthday parties any time soon.

Any videos of it?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Punching the Candle

In my Lineage we would Punch the Candle But I have never seen this done before...Is this even possible or real?

Candle Clip
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I have to question whether you are just trying to bait people, such as Ali, Yoshiyahu. You know that clip is one of Ali's, why don't you just PM him and ask?

(that said I've not had Ali answer my PMs to him)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    (that said I've not had Ali answer my PMs to him)
    Now that's funny!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Now that's funny!
    Ironic for sure

How did he know exactly when the candle went out?As evidenced by his body language.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Why do you need to be blind folded to do the trick ?, I guess who ever put out the candle told him it was out or that he could take off his blind fold because it was out, need audio on.

He could get on Conan with that if it was on the up and up. LOL

And the point of this training is?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    He could get on Conan with that if it was on the up and up. LOL
    Or a fat check for $1 million from James Randi:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfMsZwr8rc