Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun and Boxing

Wing Chun and Boxing

About two years ago a group of us agreed that we would re-examine the way we trained Wing Chun. We started exchanging ideas on, inter alia, conditioning drills and formats for pressure testing.

Recently, one of our members entered an amateur boxing fight. He is the one wearing BLUE:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtSB103mG8

Suki Gosal
    Last edited by Wu Wei Wu; 11-17-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

So your Wing Chun guy learned how to box and decently won an amateur bout?
    Don't get me wrong, I love boxing.. but he only used boxing. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. and slip, weave, boxing stance, boxing footwork.. If you guys honestly spent a ton of time re-evaluating your training methods.. it'd have been far better to just go down to the local boxing gym

Your guy is a decent enough boxer... theres no wing chun in that video... I mean, he doesn't need to pak sao punch or tan sao or bong sao or whatever - But theres also no evidence of any refined abilities such as bridging, body structure, controlling the opponents center, or protecting your own...

All I saw was a boxer, boxing.

Am I to believe that mobility and effective punching methods are the exclusive domain of western boxing? And I suppose one would have you believe the forms couldn't possibly contain a blueprint for punches that have hooking and uppercut motions?

And to suggest that one couldn't 'see' body structure therefore it could not possibly exist is hardly a compelling suggestion that it wasn't being used. And of course, the cliches continue with "controlling the opponents center".

Suki
    Last edited by Sihing73; 11-18-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

wing chun has jab, cross, and uppercut. no hook though--too slow thats for hung gar guys

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    aren't there hook punches in the Biu Jee form?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    aren't there hook punches in the Biu Jee form?
    Hello,

Yes there are and they are more akin to a true hook not the loping kind you see in movies. Close to the body not coming from outer space.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I don’t understand the opening of this thread considering wing chun and boxing, but Ten Tiger you are very much correct when it comes to ‘bil jee’, in fact the “hook punch” is introduce in the 8 basic punches of the system (SLT) and the lifting punch as well…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by clam61 View Post
    wing chun has jab, cross, and uppercut. no hook though--too slow thats for hung gar guys
    There is a hook punch in Wing Chun.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

yep-thought so.
    Oh, and btw-clam...I agree that a large, swinging punch is slower in comparrison to short strikes, which is why a well-trained fighter sets up his strikes, and uses proper angles and range.
    In case you didn't realize, Hung-Ga was originally a short bridging system , and added the larger swinging strikes (from Wong Yun-Lum's Hop-Ga) later on in its development.
    You need to understand a technique, in order to use it.
    Case in point-many beginner Wing Chun students(or casual observers) try to throw chain punches from outside the proper range, fail, and then conclude that they are inneffective.
    In the words of Duncan Leung-"Once I'm in your horse, you can't stop me."
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It might be better to say that SOME branches have a hook punch and some do not...

Ed Seas

it might be better still to say that some teachers, or practitioners have a hook punch, and some do not.

Years ago, while giving a seminar at a forme Sifu's school, Sifu Robert Chu was asked,"Why aren't there claws in Wing Chun?"
    Sifu Chu then demonstrated the huen sao and closing of the hand section of Siu Lim Tau, but emphasized the closing, showing a distinct claw and grabbing motion, and said,"Who says there are no claws?"

I have since seen others do this, and also others who do not.

Your Gung-Fu depends on what you have been given, and where you take it.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

edseas 2 sez:

It might be better to say that SOME branches have a hook punch and some do not...

Ed Seas
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    True dat. Another example of why generalizations about wing chun often miss the target.
    The differences often seem to outweigh the similarities.

joy chaudhuri

Hook Punch -

Our teeny tiny little branch doesn't have a hook punch in its arsenal. We practice myriad defenses/offenses against said technique but our particular interpretation dictates that we don't use such a technique in practice for various reasons but we respect those who do.

FWIW, we hardly ever use pak sao and, by choice, would choose other techniques over pak dar if possible/available.

Ed Seas

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

Ed Seas
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    True dat. Another example of why generalizations about wing chun often miss the target.
    The differences often seem to outweigh the similarities.

joy chaudhuri
    In this case, yup!

I don't have a hook punch, but in the BJ I have a Ginger Fist implored to fit into a 'thin' space and hit the kidney while returning to the centre.

Best,
    K
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Couch sez-

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    In this case, yup!

I don't have a hook punch, but in the BJ I have a Ginger Fist implored to fit into a 'thin' space and hit the kidney while returning to the centre.

Best,
    K
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi K- the issues of boxing and wc have spilled over to a different thread which is zig zagging
    around.

Boxing and wing chun have quite different platforms for launching things that may superficially look similar. Wing chun IMHO requires far greater control of one's mass than boxing- but when one develops the wing chun motions you can throw a hook or uppercut or a straight left or a straight right from a wing chun platform and the logic is there in the forms.
    A straight wing chun punch when properly trained can beat a hook.The problem is that a lot of wing chunners I have seen have not really developed their basic wing chun punch.
    Best,
    J