Thread: last pr vid for a while - 370 squat

last pr vid for a while - 370 squat

its a little ugly and a little high, but im happy i got it at all. i got sick right at the peak of my program, then found myself without spotters, so i had to wait about a week longer than i wanted to max.

i didn't get my bench, but i did get my first dead pr in about a year and a half. was only 380, but still broke the mental barrier. i tried for 405 afterwards, but barely broke the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbF1NypwmDs
    where's my beer?

Holy shit GDA, you're killing it lately. I know I couldn't do 370 right now and I've got 50lb on you. Well done. How many lb difference you reckon the belt makes? I've never used one personally.

I've got a question - it doesn't look like you've got collars on your bar. Is that on purpose? The reason I ask is I lift alone and I've got some decent screw-down collars but one day years ago I mustn't have tightened one end properly and as I unracked, weight shifting from foot to foot made the collar slide off followed by plates all in a row, bang, bang, bang. Obviously that made me have e.g. 100lb on one side and nothing on the other so you can't possibly hold that and the bar flew down on the now-heavy side and whacked the top of the rack with the other. I was lucky not to get injured.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

thanks man . .. the belt doesn't make a huge difference for myself. i got 345 with no belt in much better form as a warm up to the 370. i just tried to upload that as well, but youtube is making me angry. as quick as i got the 345 up im sure i wouldn't have a problem with 350 with no belt. im also pretty sure i couldnt have gotten 375 with the belt - so at most it gives me 20lbs. i never train in one though, so if i might be able to get more out of it if i did - not sure that it works like actual gear though.

i really wish i had a better excuse for the collars than laziness. like i wish i could give you some reason why i like to not use them, but there isn't one. i changed my mind after unracking that 370 though hehe.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i really wish i had a better excuse for the collars than laziness. like i wish i could give you some reason why i like to not use them, but there isn't one. i changed my mind after unracking that 370 though hehe.
    It's probably not as much of a problem with two guys spotting if they're on the ball. When I had my incident though, it was like dominos, nothing I could do to stop it and I was lucky I didn't cause serious injury either by dropping something on myself, hitting myself with the flying bar, or just damaging something by huge, fast, weight shifts. I knew what was happening as soon as I heard the sliding and felt the weight shifting but was powerless to prevent it and just sort of went through it in slow motion. It was nerve-wracking knowing that as soon as that one side went the bar was going to try to flip. Kind of funny in hindsight because my collars are ~5lb and I had a very progressive load, so it was like small weights gradually increasing, a 5, 10, 20, then 45s dropping off and with each one the situation became worse.

I make sure I screw the fuckers down tight nowadays .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

this is the 345 no belt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIjA7NyF1A

this is the 380 pull (a few people should get a kick out of the background music):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5IUdxXA9E
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's probably not as much of a problem with two guys spotting if they're on the ball. When I had my incident though, it was like dominos, nothing I could do to stop it and I was lucky I didn't cause serious injury either by dropping something on myself, hitting myself with the flying bar, or just damaging something by huge, fast, weight shifts. I knew what was happening as soon as I heard the sliding and felt the weight shifting but was powerless to prevent it and just sort of went through it in slow motion. It was nerve-wracking knowing that as soon as that one side went the bar was going to try to flip. Kind of funny in hindsight because my collars are ~5lb and I had a very progressive load, so it was like small weights gradually increasing, a 5, 10, 20, then 45s dropping off and with each one the situation became worse.

I make sure I screw the ****ers down tight nowadays .
    dude that would be terrifying. a similar incident happened to my nephew just recently, but luckily i managed to catch the one side before the other shifted to badly. my nephew wanted to see if he could unrack 310 (his max is right around 210) so we went to work (without collars of course). he unracked just fine, stood there for a second, and then went to rack. i could have sworn the right side was in .. i think he may have even had it in then readjusted . .. but when he went to rack it the right side took a huge dip and all the weight came off. i managed to stabalize the bar before the other side dropped, but it was scary. he strained a lat a little, but otherwise was no worse for the wear. we got lucky and you figure id have learned, but there i was again last night.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    its a little ugly and a little high, but im happy i got it at all. i got sick right at the peak of my program, then found myself without spotters, so i had to wait about a week longer than i wanted to max.

i didn't get my bench, but i did get my first dead pr in about a year and a half. was only 380, but still broke the mental barrier. i tried for 405 afterwards, but barely broke the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbF1NypwmDs
    Cool post GDA, I admire your motivation and shake my head at my laziness