Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: I want my vote back

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    The new administration is talking about adding a gas tax so significant that it will make gas $3.50 a gallon when it's $2.36 now.
    Good for them! Hell get gas up to $10 a gallon. Maybe then people will re-evaluate the inappropriate and suicidal transportation model of the last half of the 20th century!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFLPstudent View Post
    Guess what? The economy is dead right now, and it is even though Bush had already cut Corporate Taxes 4 years ago! Where the hell are the trickle down effect's of this?
    It trickled down so much we gotta give the heavy hitters money to the tune os hundreds of billions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Considering all I had to say before the election, even I'm surprised at how fast I get to say "See, I told you so". He hasn't even taken office yet!

So far he has promised to bail out the Big 3 automakers, going AGAINST his 'no corporate welfare' promise. He has brought in numerous lobbyists, going AGAINST his 'no loobyists in my administration' promise, and filled his Cabinet with a bunch of ex-Clinton people when he promised 'Change'.

I figure it won't be long until shirts, bumper stickers, etc saying 'Don't blame me, I voted for McCain' become a hot commodity. Whatever company produces those will most certainly create alot of jobs!
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    You know who I WOULD tax greatly though? International corporations based OUTSIDE of the US. If they have branches operating here, then those branches should see high taxes. That way AMERICAN companies, would have the opportunities that should be ours by birth right.
    Great Idea....... except that type of policy has been tried in the modern global market and backfired horribly. Tarriffs worked in the first 150 years of American history, but then, we used to be a selfsaficient contry. We can't regain those golden days of isolationism and trying to will cause more problems than it could ever solve. The great depression hit for more than 10 years, and it actually hit pretty much the whole world. it took a major war to reverse it. Now we are on the cusp of a new depression, but rather than turning our backs on each other, the world is pulling together. We'll still see a depression, but it won't be decades long nor 50% jopbless rate bad.

US tariffs on imported steel, imposed by the Bush administration, have been found illegal by the WTO. Mark Tran explains their history.

US industries that use steel, such as those manufacturing appliances and cars, have been pressing for a repeal of the tariffs, complaining that higher steel prices are eroding their profits in a generally tough environment for US manufacturing. Last but not least, the tariffs make US claims to free trade sound hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Raise everybody's taxes.

Quadruple car tax on city drivers.

Stricter regulation on the markets (free market is a myth: deregulation is a major contributing factor to this financial meltdown). This trickle-down BS has been on since Reaganomics.

Don't hire Clinton: she's like Thatcher, more macho and with a bigger chip on her shoulder than most of the Boys.

Need any more advice?!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Good for them! Hell get gas up to $10 a gallon. Maybe then people will re-evaluate the inappropriate and suicidal transportation model of the last half of the 20th century!
    ha! our first agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    So far he has promised to bail out the Big 3 automakers, going AGAINST his 'no corporate welfare' promise.
    I don't agree with this bailout, but then I don't agree with the other one either. But here's a question: what would you do?

He has brought in numerous lobbyists, going AGAINST his 'no loobyists in my administration' promise, and filled his Cabinet with a bunch of ex-Clinton people when he promised 'Change'.
    Are you so naive? Anyone in politics is a lobbyist. His 'no lobbyist' spiel was in opposition to continuing the corporate lobbyists that have had Bush's ear and then McCain's campaign's GOP handlers.

And as for the cabinet: we don't know who's in it yet. Do you? You could clean up at the bookies! LOL.

But:

Rahm Emmanuel (the ONLY confirmed): no position in Clinton's admin.
    Robert Gates (very likely): not a Clintonite, worked closely with both Bushes.
    Tom Daschle (very likely): no position in Clinton's admin.
    Janet Napolitano (likely): ditto.
    Eric Holder (likely): the top Democratic legal bod, yes, an ex-Clintonite, but anyway, the top man for the job.
    Hilary Clinton (likely): ironically, not a member of the Clinton admin! Don't get me wrong, I despise her almost as much as Palin and don't see her being any good in Sec of State post... but still.
    So who else is your crystal ball seeing?

I figure it won't be long until shirts, bumper stickers, etc saying 'Don't blame me, I voted for McCain' become a hot commodity. Whatever company produces those will most certainly create alot of jobs!
    LOL, you might be right on that, and good luck to Joe the Plumber for his book too!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    ha! our first agreement.
    No, we also agree that pot should be decriminalized.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I don't agree with this bailout, but then I don't agree with the other one either. But here's a question: what would you do?
    Get rid of stupid laws like CAFE standards. Let the Big 3 FREELY make cars that the market demands, not what government demands. FYI, the biggest selling model of vehicle over the last 35 years is the Ford F-150 truck. The American car companies know how to make cars we want, but the government getting involved has hurt them badly though through these environmental laws.

Are you so naive? Anyone in politics is a lobbyist. His 'no lobbyist' spiel was in opposition to continuing the corporate lobbyists that have had Bush's ear and then McCain's campaign's GOP handlers.
    I admit it was gonna be a nearly impossible promise to keep. So it begs the question... Why make a promise you will have to break?

And as for the cabinet: we don't know who's in it yet. Do you? You could clean up at the bookies! LOL.

Rahm Emmanuel (the ONLY confirmed): no position in Clinton's admin.
    Incorrect. He served as a senior advisor to Clinton at the White House from 1993 to 1998. Emanuel was initially Assistant to the President for Political Affairs and then Senior Advisor to the President for Policy and Strategy. He was a leading strategist in the unsuccessful White House efforts to institute universal healthcare and many other Clinton initiatives.

Don't forget Greg Craig. As assistant to the President and special counsel in the White House of President Bill Clinton, Craig directed the team defending Clinton against impeachment. Craig will be appointed as White House Counsel to Obama.

Eric Holder was also instrumental in the Marc Rich pardon. Don't leave out that part about him.

It also appears Jamie Gorelick will be in the Cabinet as well. You may remember her as the rocket scientist who erected the 'Wall of Silence' betweent the CIA and FBI which was the main reason we failed to stop 9/11.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Ok, so it's OT but one political thread is enough

Simon McNeil

It amazes me why the Japanese auto makers are not asking for money...
    One wonder why they haven't suffer as much and why their sales have not dropped AS MUCH as the Big 3...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Raise everybody's taxes.

Stricter regulation on the markets (free market is a myth: deregulation is a major contributing factor to this financial meltdown). This trickle-down BS has been on since Reaganomics.
    Raising taxes worked so well for Carter.

Thank God Reaganomics pulled out out of that mess. Having double-digit inflation, prime interest rates over 20%, and unemployment just under 10% at the same time is something no one but Carter has ever managed to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It amazes me why the Japanese auto makers are not asking for money...
    One wonder why they haven't suffer as much and why their sales have not dropped AS MUCH as the Big 3...

This is because Japanese auto makers have been making smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles their bread and butter. When money is tight you are more likely to buy a little Yaris than a big Chrysler 300 (pig-ugly heaps of tank-like rolling metal that they are).
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Get rid of stupid laws like CAFE standards. Let the Big 3 FREELY make cars that the market demands, not what government demands. FYI, the biggest selling model of vehicle over the last 35 years is the Ford F-150 truck. The American car companies know how to make cars we want, but the government getting involved has hurt them badly though through these environmental laws.

Where did you get that info ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well getting of motor vehicle environmental standards would certainly create a growth industry in canned air... like the spaceballs!
    Simon McNeil