Thread: Benefits Of Tan Tui

Benefits Of Tan Tui

I recently started Northern Shaolin and I must say i like it very much. It's a lot different and more "opened up" than what I'm used to (Wing Chun, Boxing). The first form I'm learning right now is 10 road Tan Tui. I've learned the first 3 so far and it seems to be really good exercise. I was wondering what benefits people have seen from practicing Tan Tui. It seems to also be good for teaching weight transfer and other fundamentals along with health benefits. Any input would be appreciated.

body awareness, co-ordination to some degree, balance and to a somewhat lesser degree, fitness. Exercise in and of itself is good. Tan Tui should, if done properly over the course of time strengthen your legs and get you used to the large frame postures. It's a good introduction set to Northern Shaolin stepping and techniques as well.

You are in Toronto? Where are you learning 10 road?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tan Tui as a gneral descriptive term for changquan (Northern), tends to be performance art, in the main, because, as taught today, one is not initially taught shenfa or jibengong.

Tantui in baji, pigua or tongei, has more shenfa and jibengong and is usually taught as part of the basics from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Tan Tui as a gneral descriptive term for changquan (Northern), tends to be performance art, in the main, because, as taught today, one is not initially taught shenfa or jibengong.

Tantui in baji, pigua or tongei, has more shenfa and jibengong and is usually taught as part of the basics from day 1.
    cool.

In Bak Sil Lum of Ku Yu Cheong lines, tan tui is taught as a ten road set and is one of two common introduction sets used to prepare students for the core 10 sets of bak sil lum.

usually teachers will impart lien bo or tan tui as the first set, then the other.
    Is your tan tui 10 roads as well mawali? or do you have the 12 road version, which changes after the 4 th road?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

hulkout, I made a small contribution to thread started by ngokfei on Tan tui information. Here is the link:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=46370

The benefits of doing Tan Tui have a lot to do with the version studied. I have seen practitioners do the form with stances so high that they looked as if they were just going to the store to get the Sunday paper. To simply extoll benefits in my opinion, will only place a conceptual limit upon you. Your benefits may surpass our own experiences. But if we simply lay it out for you, you might not get to surpass us. I hope you get what I mean by that.

Tan Tui is what you choose to make of it; or, simply put, how your consciousness chooses to engage it. Therefore, the benefits can vary from school to school, person to person. What is most important is that you give yourself to the practice. That is, surrender, or any benefit that is to come your way will forever elude you.

Best to you and your practice.

mickey

I just took a look at what I wrote...

Let me clarify what I am talking about with regard to limits. Though I have never seen it written anywhere as a benefit, I have experienced the opening of the microcosmic and macrocosmic circuits from doing tan tui. I have experienced kundalini activation as well. I can't simply pass off those experiences as a benefit to another person. The person may experience less; or, the person may experience more.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 11-23-2008 at 08:52 AM.

“Tan Tui as a gneral descriptive term for changquan (Northern), tends to be performance art, in the main, because, as taught today, one is not initially taught shenfa or jibengong.

Tantui in baji, pigua or tongei, has more shenfa and jibengong and is usually taught as part of the basics from day 1.”

Say what? Tan Tui – 12 line, 10 line, etc… NOT a general term for changquan. Chaquan system known for being a combination of : Cha, Hua, Pao, Hong, Tan…as in Cha quan, Hua quan, Pao quan, Hong quan, and Tan Tui (10 line). Where Tan Tui is the beginning – where you learn stances, movement, etc… and, at least how I learned it, there were tons of shenfa and jibengong BEFORE learning Yi lu Tan Tui. The idea was that you first learned stances, basic punch/kick, etc…and some on connecting stances together – then went to Tan Tui for more connection AND the application of the moves (each had some element of Da, Ti, Shue, and Na).

Basically, if you Tan Tui was poor, nothing else worked..and applications discussions were lost on you anyway.

Were I to have the time my teachers had… They practiced morning before school/work and at night before dinner (which was quite late). Practice began with warm up and then Ya tui (leg pressing) and then Tan Tui with each line being done completely around the building..and only then did the main part of class start.

Benefits of Tan Tui

For those who practice Tan Tui (I know that there are various versions of it), what do you find its main benefits are for you?

I have read that you can tell how good someone's kung fu is by how good their Tan Tui is?

Also, if you do practice it, what version/lineage do you practice?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

We do a 12 road version that is similar to the Chin Woo. 2 road is different.
    We also only do 2 items in roads 4, 8, 10 and 11, I think someone tweaked it because
    they thought it made more sense as far as what direction you wind up facing.

I think the biggest benefit is in the stance work.
    It's a workout on your legs when you do the full thing.
    It also really works on your transition between ma bu and gong bu.
    I would also argue that it helps open up your chest.

Greetings,

Sometimes, you have to use the search feature.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...its-Of-Tan-Tui

mickey

Thanks for that mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Sometimes, you have to use the search feature.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...its-Of-Tan-Tui

mickey
    I merged the two threads.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by sirdude View Post
    I would also argue that it helps open up your chest.
    Greetings,

Seems like your front channel is opening. Keep going!

mickey

I tried to use the search feature, but for some reason it always tells me that nothing was found. Most of the time, I have to do a google search and then click to come here.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Greetings,

A 6 line Tan Tui that integrates both 10 and 12 line versions. Image robbed from an offering at the bay of e.

mickey
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mickey; 07-04-2023 at 01:31 PM.