Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

Hybrid View

Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

There were a ton of places to post this, but I'm feeling like a new thread. And this topic seems like something that could garner some action.

Cops set kung-fu record
    Don Frame
    23/11/2008

KUNG Fu cops have karate-chopped their way into the record books after completing a 36-hour martial arts training session.

There was no previous record for the longest training session, so the 10 members of the Greater Manchester Police Martial Arts Club could have stopped after 24 hours.

Inspector Melita Wordswick said: "It was quite tempting to call it quits at that point, but we had so many people coming along to support us and we wanted to set a record that would not easily be broken.

"The hardest time for me was training throughout the night, when your body tells you that you should be asleep."

The team began their attempt at Manchester College in Ardwick with non-stop training for two-hour stints broken by just a one-minute break.

They hope to appear in the Guinness Book of Records next year and have also raised funds in aid of CLIC Sargent, a charity that cares for young people and children with cancer.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What kind of Kung fu?
    If it was Taichi...well....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well, according to the author it was KARATE kung fu.

i love the whole "kungfu guys karate chopping". its pretty popular to say that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i love the whole "kungfu guys karate chopping". its pretty popular to say that.
    I am hoping to learn the karate chop in my next Wing Chun class.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I am hoping to learn the karate chop in my next Wing Chun class.
    lol. i dare you to ask your teacher "hey sifu, when do i learn the karate chop?"
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Not quite Guinness

In fact, I'm not sure by which standards this world record is held.
    Woman sets world record at martial arts tourney
    BY MEGAN HUSSEY
    TAMPA TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT
    Published: July 28, 2009

Cheryl Cleveland celebrated Independence Day by setting a world record. While competing July Fourth at the U.S. Open World Martial Arts Championships in Orlando, she set a martial arts record for most boards broken by a female with a side kick.

"Cheryl broke five 1-inch-thick pine boards placed back to back in a metal holder with a skipping side kick," read a related news release. "In recent years the record was four boards, held by multiple women from around the world. Now Cheryl and one other competitor from Texas hold the world record at five boards."

Cleveland, 30, is chairwoman and CEO of Community Fun and Fitness Center in New Port Richey. She has 24 years of martial arts experience, and was first introduced to the sport at age 6.

"My main focus has always been Tae kwon do but I also explored Kenpo, Uechi Ryu, Capoeira, Kali Kuntao, and Kung Fu a bit too," she said. "I first got involved when I was 6 years old. One of my older brothers was taking Tae kwon do and would come home and show me what he learned in class."

"He was really just using me as his training dummy," she said, adding with a chuckle, "I don't remember if I joined because I liked what he was showing me or felt that I needed to defend myself from him."

She considers her new world record the highlight of her career.

"I have won quite a few trophies in sparring, forms, and board breaking but never anything like this," she said.

She first learned about this world record through extensive online research before the tournament; armed with this information, Cleveland started working toward a new goal.

"I made sure I did 100 crunches, practiced my forms, and side kicked a heavy bag as hard as I could every morning," she said. "Sometimes I would kick the heavy bag so hard that the bones in my fingers would hurt from the shockwave...I knew I had a good kick when that happened."

At the actual event, Cleveland set the new world record on her second attempt.

"Once I realized I had broken all of them it was such an awesome feeling," she said.

Cleveland, also a tae kwon do instructor at the New First Baptist of Odessa, wants to pass this feeling onto her students, inspiring them to overcome the odds to achieve their goals.

"This is a story of perseverance I can tell my students because my side kick was by far my worst technique for years until right before I got my black belt," she said.

Inspiring people to get the most of martial arts and fitness is the idea behind Community Fun and Fitness, Cleveland's Pasco-based nonprofit organization headquartered in a building donated by New First Baptist Church of Odessa.

Community Fun & Fitness Center, at 1234 Gunn Highway, is a nonprofit organization in Pasco County that will offer donation-based fitness classes and community service events for all ages and all incomes, she said. "I formed this organization in 2007 with hopes that I could provide all ages, toddlers to senior citizens, a place to join physically and mentally beneficial classes (like martial arts and dance classes) all on a donation-based system so that everyone could afford to take part in something that has been such a good part of my life," she said.

She even took out a personal loan to pay for the $100,000 renovations the building needed before its scheduled 2010 opening.

"We just got a new roof, and this week the building is getting a face lift with new exterior paint and a new parking lot," she said. "I really hope once we are open people will rush in to take advantage of our donation based classes."

In Cleveland's eyes, the rewards of studying martial arts are well worth the work.

"The most important benefit by far is confidence, especially for women," she said. "Women usually feel that there is nothing they can do if they are attacked by a man who is so much bigger and stronger than them. In the first class I have my students learn to break boards with a palm strike. Right away I see their confidence grow and I know that they are already more able to defend themselves should the need arose. Flexibility is also something that I see develop in students. Other benefits are: strength, endurance, discipline, overall health, the list goes on and on."

In the future, she plans to compete at the US Open World Martial Arts Event again in 2010 - this time, she'll try to break her own record.

"Next year I will try for six!" she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

d@mn... i only saw the word guiness... no beer here.

Strongest kick by a human

Bangladeshi Grandmaster Dr. Mak Yuree, a 10th degree black-belt holder, founder of Butthan Psychophysical Empowerment System and owner of various accolades, was featured in the popular Ripley’s Believe It or Not cartoon for his superhuman capability, says a press release.
    Before Ripley’s, Discovery Channel had featured him as one of five super humans. A team of scientists finally confirmed him after their scientific investigations of 60 world record holders from five continents and was eager to find out what exactly makes these five men so powerful and Special.
    During his research works, Dr. Yuree was contacted by Discovery Channel’s UK Office, who were doing a Superhuman research project. Mak Yuree, according to the scientific investigation of this programme, can throw the strongest kick by a human being. It was found that Dr. Yuree has the unique ability to instantly attain alpha level of the brain, which enables him to recruit and engage 96 percent of his muscles to deliver the unbelievably powerful kick to break three baseball bats in a bundle. According to research carried out by Wayne University, USA, each baseball bat requires 740 pounds to be broken.
    MAK Yuree has countless accolades in martial arts, in competitive and non-competitive formats alike, all over the world.
    http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/ne...eve-it-or-not/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

835 kicks in 3 minutes using one leg

PLUS
    355 kicks in one minute
    325 punches in one minute using one hand
    Bodla improves world record tally in martial arts
    By Natasha Raheel Published: March 4, 2014

The 20-year-old bettered his own world record by landing 835 kicks in three minutes using one leg. PHOTO: Facebook.com/Ahmad-Amin-Bodla-martial-artist

KARACHI: Pakistan’s Ahmad Amin Bodla merited his experience by successfully breaking three Guinness World Records in martial arts on Monday in Lahore.
    The 20-year-old bettered his own world record by landing 835 kicks in three minutes using one leg. He improved from 783 kicks that he had performed in Saudi Arabia in August last year.
    Bodla also broke the record of the most kicks in a minute which was held by America’s Raul Meza, by landing 355 kicks.

He also broke the record for the most punches in one minute, which was previously held by Australia’s Mick Faber. Bodla punched 325 times using one hand.
    “It’s an aim for me to make more records as a Pakistani,” Bodla told The Express Tribune.
    “I train every day for three to four hours. Preparing for these performances is tough, but I’ve been doing it independently. I already have 26 Guinness world records.”
    Bodla recorded these feats in the presence of an audience and three judges who counted the kicks and punches at the Legends Martial Arts Club Engineer Sports Club.
    According to one of the judges Shafiqur Rehman Khattana, Bodla’s achievements make him an asset for Pakistan.
    “It’s an honour,” said Khattana. “He is the only Pakistani to break into the field with so many world records. Before him there were only foreigners who have held these records .
    “He is an inspiration. When new athletes come to train for martial arts they have a role model in Bodla,” said Khattana.
    ‘My ambition to create records started in 2011’
    Bodla stated that his ambition for creating world records began in 2011, when he saw a video of a Spanish master making a world record with the most kicks in a minute.
    According to him, he took up taekwondo as his father’s guard had been a black belt in martial arts.
    “I was 14 at that time,” he said. “My father had a guard who was trained in taekwondo. That was the inspiration for me. I trained with him initially before being certified as a black belt.
    He further stated that in order to verify his credential for Monday’s records, the footage will be sent to the Guiness World Record headquarters in the UK, which would take three months.
    Published in The Express Tribune, March 4th, 2014.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This technique has been described as a qigong stunt...

...but really, I just wanted to post this pic here.

“亚洲蛇王”表演蛇钻七窍、生吞活蛇
    腾讯 2014-10-02 14:57:31

2014年10月01日,浙江金华浙中乐园内,被称为亚洲“蛇王”的江西吉安人刘飞在表演蛇钻七窍。国庆期 间,浙中乐园邀请请了全国各地的一批“奇人”、“牛人”来表演节目。
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

8,212 person TKD demo

Thousands take part in largest Taekwondo display in South Korea to promote peace
    By Rachel Swatman Published 07 June 2018

A breathtaking martial arts display took place recently at the National Assembly Grounds in Seoul, South Korea, in the run up to the first inter-Korean summit.

The event broke the Guinness World Records title for the Largest Taekwondo display, with a staggering 8,212 people taking part.

Before taking on the official attempt in front of Guinness World Records adjudicator Raymond Marshall and hundreds of stewards, the group had two practice performances to perfect the routine.

The expertly-choreographed demonstration lasted for 10 minutes, with all the participants wearing traditional Taekwondo attire.

The event was organised by The National Assembly Taekwondo Federation, Brand & Company Co. Ltd. and Christian Television System Co LTD.

GuinnessWorldRecords

@GWR
    8,212 young and old martial arts learners and pros took part in this huge #Taekwondo display in South Korea > http://bit.ly/GWR-TaekwondoDisplay … 🥋

05:45 - 7 Jun 2018
    See Guinness World Records's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads information and privacy
    Taekwondo originated in Korea and the organisations wished to promote the sport and encourage peace between the neighbouring nations.

Both young and old attended the event. Their enjoyment and determination was evident, as only around 150 people out of the thousands participating were disqualified for not taking part in the display correctly within the record guidelines.

Lee Sang-min, the CEO of Brand & Company, commented: "Although the success of the Guinness World Records title has its own significance, Taekwondo – which was born in the divided country – gathered people in one place to realise that one spirit has contributed in birthing a new global, cultural sport."

"Taekwondo has played an important role in bringing South and North Korea together, with the symbol of peace for the future."

The attempt was broadcast on Korean news channel YTM and will appear in an upcoming documentary about Taekwondo in Korea.

This new record is more than seven times higher than the previous one, which was achieved by J R International Taekwondo Academy & Indian Martial Arts Academy Team in a spectacular display by 1,152 participants, back in 2016.

Largest Taekwondo display: Certificate presentation

Check out many more spectacular and impressive martial arts records on
    THREADS:
    Martial Arts World Records and Stunts
    Taekwondo
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Most walnuts cracked against the head in one minute - Guinness World Records

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Muhamed Kahrimanovic: Coconuts and Cans - Meet The Record Breakers Europe

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles

Who thinks up these records now? I didn't even know that removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles was a thing...
    Two sticks and a cord to set world records

Lu Feiran
    17:11 UTC+8, 2021-04-07

People
    In a yoga gym in Songjiang District, a row of bottles is lined up on a table. Pairs of them are balanced on their lips, with a playing card in between.

Martial arts coach Xie Desheng is warming up at the table, with a nunchaku in his hands. He is about to challenge the Guinness World Record for removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles.

He set a record last August by removing 14 cards. In February, Pakistani Muhammad Rashid superseded that feat with 19 cards removed.

Nunchaku, which originated on the Japanese island of Okinawa, is a martial arts weapon that consists of two sticks linked together at one end by a short chain or cord. The weapon was popularized by Bruce Lee in kung fu movies.

“Lee is my hero,” Xie says. “In fact, he is my virtual nunchaku mentor.”

The timer starts. Xie holds a nunchaku in his right hand and waves it rapidly toward the cards. A counter calls out the number of cards removed without toppling the carefully balanced bottles. The scene is tense because the stick at any moment might hit a bottle. If that happens, Xie has to start all over again.

Eventually, he manages to hit 20 cards in a minute without breaking a bottle.

“New record!” Xie shouts out in excitement.

Two sticks and a cord to set world recordsHu Jun / SHINE
    Xie hits playing cards clamped between bottles with a nunchaku to set a new world record.

He will send the video to Guinness and expects to get a certificate in months.

Nunchaku, sometimes called “chuka sticks” or “karate sticks,” was originally a weapon of self-defense. It has now evolved into a sport of stunts — using the device to hit ping pong balls volleyed by a robot, to remove bottle caps, to snuff out candles and to smash walnuts, always in a prescribed time, usually one minute.

The device has spawned nunchaku sports clubs across the world, though its use is restricted in Norway, Canada, Spain, Chile and several other countries.

Born in the city of Chaozhou of the southern province of Guangdong in 1992, Xie left his hometown at 15 after his father died and mother left home. He didn’t want to burden his uncle by staying with him, so he went to bigger cities in the province looking for work.

He took jobs in factories and restaurants, but his life trajectory changed when a roommate introduced him to nunchaku. Xie’s interest was aroused.

After work, he often went to Internet bars to watch Lee’s movies, especially excerpts with nunchaku maneuvers. Then he would practice the moves from a video at home. As there was no explanation of the moves, Xie could only watch closely and duplicate his idol’s movements — again and again.

“The beginning was really tough,” he says. “I don’t remember how many times I hurt my head with nunchaku while training, and there were bruises all over my body.”

He went to gyms to improve the strength and tried to use nunchaku to do other weapons’ stunts.

“I believe that different types of martial arts communicate with each other well,” he says. “For example, I could do the movements of a cudgel with a nunchaku and vice versa. Practicing on one improves the other.”

It was obvious that Xie had a gift for it. Before long, his friends recommended he take part in various martial arts competitions. He went to Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Malaysia, winning several trophies, mostly on nunchaku.

The victories brought about dramatic changes in his life. He became a minor Internet celebrity and a martial arts coach. He travels around China, teaching in various places, and does training sessions for the Shanghai armed police.

Invitations to variety shows came with the fame. He remembers the first show where he appeared, called “Let Dream Fly.” It aired on a channel in the eastern province of Shandong Province several years ago. He admits he was nervous.

“For one thing, my hometown could receive the channel, so all my acquaintances there could see me on TV,” he says. “And for another thing, what I was going to do was very challenging, even dangerous.”

It was a William Tell sort of challenge, using a nunchaku instead of a crossbow to remove an apple from the head of a volunteer. It was difficult to find any people who were willing to rehearse the stunt with him, for obvious reasons.

“I was also worried that someone might try to imitate what I did on the stage,” he admits, with a laugh.

More show invitations and competitions followed. Xie felt stuck. The trophies no longer brought gratification. He was puzzled about how he could further challenge himself.

The Guinness World Records provided that challenge.

“You know, nowadays most martial arts competitions are judged by your movements rather than how well you can fight,” he says. “Most of the time you don’t even know which move you made to win a trophy. But the Guinness records are different. You can track your improvement through very straightforward numbers. It gave me very clear goals that I could challenge.”

His first record was set in Shanghai when he managed to snuff out flames on 52 candles with nunchaku in a minute, without knocking down the candles.

Then he learned a table tennis stunt with nunchaku, just like his idol Bruce Lee once did. He set a record for the most balls hit, with 35 in one minute.

Two sticks and a cord to set world recordsCourtesy of Xie Desheng
    Xie poses with one of his Guinness World Record certificate.

“That was probably one of the most difficult challenges for me,” he says. “The sticks are thinner than a table tennis ball, and it feels much less solid waving a nunchaku than a ping pong paddle. After long practice, the motions became a kind of muscle memory.”

Not all challenges have ended in success. Last year in Beijing, Xie tried to open 10 beer bottles with nunchaku but failed.

The disappointing performance came in front of a large audience and local journalists.

“They asked me: ‘Will you be back again?’ And I said: ‘I’ll get up where I fell over,’” Xie says.

“A month later, I went back to Beijing and finished the challenge.”

Source: SHINE Editor: Zhang Liuhao
    Yellow & Black Zebra Chucks

threads
    Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...Black-Jumpsuit
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips