Thread: Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

Hybrid View

a two-fer

783 kicks with one leg in 3 min.
    313 punches in 1 min.

Last Update: Friday, 23 August 2013 KSA 15:20 - GMT 12:20
    Martial artist breaks two world records in Saudi Arabia
    Friday, 23 August 2013

Ahmad Amin Bodla breaking the world record for number of kicks in three minutes. (Photo courtesy: Saudi Gazette)

Saudi Gazette - Mohammed Alshoaiby

Tae Kwan Do black belt Ahmad Amin Bodla, 21, broke two Guinness World Records on Wednesday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The first record was for “number of kicks in three minutes,” breaking Indian master Sidhu Kshetri’s world record of 620 kicks with 783 kicks with one leg.

The second record was in the number of punches in one minute in the Wing Chun style of martial arts, breaking Australian master Mick Faber’s 301 punches with 313.

“I feel quite proud and happy that all this hard work has paid off,” said Bodla after breaking both records. There was a lot of pressure and a lot of hype, but despite all that, Alhamdulillah (thank God), I’ve broken the records,” he said.

Bodla, who hails from Pakistan, has studied in Riyadh’s King Saud University (KSU) and will be on his way to Pakistan next week.

The decision to break the records, Ahmad said, was an ode to the time he spent here among students and professors at KSU.

“It was my mission to create that memory here in Riyadh, because I’ve spent a good time here and when I look back, I want to look back at this moment,” he said.

Bodla currently holds 18 Guinness World Records in various martial arts categories, including most full-contact Wing Chun-style punching strikes in two minutes, with 1,204 strikes, and fastest time to strike 100 martial arts punches, coming in at 7.66 seconds.

The results of Wednesday’s attempts were reviewed by a panel of judges present at the event, held at a Fitness First, who confirmed Bodla’s record, while the video footage will be sent to the Guinness World Records to officially tally the results and publish them within the next two months.

Ahmad’s father, Zia Ullah Anjum Bodla, was present at the event, cheering his son on along with friends and family members.

“I’m humbled and I bow my head before Allah Almighty because without his blessing and kindness, no achievement can ever be made,” he said.

Bodla first became interested in martial arts when he was 17, as his father recalls: “I was deployed operationally in a far-flung area near Lahore, and Ahmad met an army soldier who was an expert black belt in martial arts. From him, he was inspired to follow this path.”

Bodla’s journey through martial arts was challenged by a childhood struggle with asthma, his father said: “Incidentally, Ahmad was very slim and weak and I never thought he would become so strong, but because of his personal dedication and zest, Masha’a Allah, he has been able to achieve this standard.”

On entering the demonstrative and performance side of martial arts, Bodla said: “Five years ago, I started training as a beginner, when I was 17 years old.

The main thing was getting the black belt.”

But Bodla said the black belt was not enough of an achievement for him, and while seeking out other challenges he came across the increasingly popular field of martial arts demonstration.

“I saw a video of a Spanish master breaking a world kicking record in one minute, and I thought ‘I’m going for this record.’

“When I told people that I’m going to break this record, they used to laugh at me.

“Today, Alhamdulillah I have 18 world records.”

Bodla said he will continue to seek world records with the help of the global leader in the field, Guinness World Records, and the support of his family and friends.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How did we miss this one?

Good ol' Wing Chun

Wing Chun gathering sets world record in Guangdong
    Ecns.cn | 2013-8-9 17:50:46
    By Agencies

A total of 5,000 people from around the world performed Wing Chun in Foshan, Guangdong province, on Thursday, setting a new world record for the number of people to practice the martial art at the same time.

The event was designed to celebrate the 120th anniversary of the birth of Yip Man, a Wing Chun master and teacher of Bruce Lee.

The 5,000 martial art fans ranged from a 6-year-old preschooler to an 86-year-old man. The number breaks the previous record of 3,167 people to practice Wing Chun together in Luocun, Foshan in 2010.

Wing Chun is a concept-based Chinese martial art and form of self-defense specializing in close-range combat.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

odd stunt

gotta have a leaning tree for this one

Tai tree: Martial arts expert practises his skills while balancing on trunk
    Fu Chuang practises kung fu in a tree
    The 37-year-old says he taught himself from books and TV
    Mr Chuang says he thinks martial arts is the perfect way to relax
    By EMMA THOMAS
    PUBLISHED: 05:34 EST, 29 October 2013 | UPDATED: 07:59 EST, 29 October 2013

Chinese businessman Fu Chuang is not averse to branching out into something a bit different when he finishes work by heading to the local university to practise kung fu in a tree.
    Mr Chuang, 37, said he found the martial art was the perfect way to relax and he claimed he taught himself from watching experts on the television and reading books.
    He climbs the thin, bendy tree trunk before balancing and holding kung fu poses.

Balancing act: Fu Chuang practice skung fu in a tree in China. His heads to the local university campus after work each day

Self taught: Mr Chuang, 37, said he found the martial art was the perfect way to relax and he taught himself from books

Dedicated: Mr Chuang heads to the Hainan university campus every day after work to practice kung fu. He says he doesn't have room in his flat

Concentration: Mr Chuang balances perfectly on the thin tree trunk. He said he doesn't practice for fighting reasons

He said: 'I don't do it for fighting reasons, I do it to bring peace and harmony to my body and soul and as a way of relaxing and getting away from the stress of work. I don't have room in my flat and so I came here to the park.
    'At one point I tried some exercises balancing on the tree and found it really encourage me to concentrate and feel more in touch with the natural world which is important here in the city.'
    Mr Chuang goes to the university campus at Hainan to practice the skill.
    Kung fu, like most martial arts, requires balance and co-ordination.
    There are lots of different styles that concentrate on fitness as well as meditation.

'Getting away from the stress of work': Mr Chuang says practicing martial arts on the tree helps him to relax

Back on the ground: Mr Chuang does also practice his skills on the ground. He says he feels more in touch with nature

Exercises: Mr Chuang does some of his kung fu exercises while on the ground but finds balancing on the tree helped him concentrate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips