Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

There were a ton of places to post this, but I'm feeling like a new thread. And this topic seems like something that could garner some action.

Cops set kung-fu record
    Don Frame
    23/11/2008

KUNG Fu cops have karate-chopped their way into the record books after completing a 36-hour martial arts training session.

There was no previous record for the longest training session, so the 10 members of the Greater Manchester Police Martial Arts Club could have stopped after 24 hours.

Inspector Melita Wordswick said: "It was quite tempting to call it quits at that point, but we had so many people coming along to support us and we wanted to set a record that would not easily be broken.

"The hardest time for me was training throughout the night, when your body tells you that you should be asleep."

The team began their attempt at Manchester College in Ardwick with non-stop training for two-hour stints broken by just a one-minute break.

They hope to appear in the Guinness Book of Records next year and have also raised funds in aid of CLIC Sargent, a charity that cares for young people and children with cancer.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What kind of Kung fu?
    If it was Taichi...well....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well, according to the author it was KARATE kung fu.

i love the whole "kungfu guys karate chopping". its pretty popular to say that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i love the whole "kungfu guys karate chopping". its pretty popular to say that.
    I am hoping to learn the karate chop in my next Wing Chun class.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I am hoping to learn the karate chop in my next Wing Chun class.
    lol. i dare you to ask your teacher "hey sifu, when do i learn the karate chop?"
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I want to learn the Judoooooo CHOP!!!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

For Simon:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I want to learn the Judoooooo CHOP!!!
    Before Austin Powers made it famous, Barney and Fred showed the devastating power of this technique: Judo Chop!
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

not quite Guinness

But this is kind of what I had in mind for this thread. I get these occasional newsfeeds about some bizarre qigong/jianghu stunt in China trying to bust into Guinness. Here's a typical one.
    Friday, December 12, 2008
    Man pulls car with eyelids

A Chinese martial arts enthusiast pulled a one tonne car by a rope fastened to his eyelids. Luo Deyuan, 21, of Guiyang, also pulled the vehicle by fastening the rope to a piercing in his neck, reports Guizhou Metropolis News. He said he learned his skills from a local master, adding: “I really wanted to do something special.” And he says he has succeeded as his bizarre stunts have been featured on television as far away as Mexico. Luo says he has another 23 stunts, including lifting two buckets of water with his eyelids, stopping electric fans with his tongue, and walking on sharp blades. And he is now hoping to get his name in the Guinness Book of Records, adding: “I really want to perform my stunts on a bigger stage.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

do you think his eyelids are stretched out permanently?

this broke some sort of record apparently...

Maybe it was how fast you can bust your finger on Coconuts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lmao yeah i love how everyone refers to it as a karate chop. but i bet your sifu would kill you if you asked about the karate chop XD

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Maybe it was how fast you can bust your finger on Coconuts.
    That performance was worthy of a Golden globe !

Not quite Guinness

In fact, I'm not sure by which standards this world record is held.
    Woman sets world record at martial arts tourney
    BY MEGAN HUSSEY
    TAMPA TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT
    Published: July 28, 2009

Cheryl Cleveland celebrated Independence Day by setting a world record. While competing July Fourth at the U.S. Open World Martial Arts Championships in Orlando, she set a martial arts record for most boards broken by a female with a side kick.

"Cheryl broke five 1-inch-thick pine boards placed back to back in a metal holder with a skipping side kick," read a related news release. "In recent years the record was four boards, held by multiple women from around the world. Now Cheryl and one other competitor from Texas hold the world record at five boards."

Cleveland, 30, is chairwoman and CEO of Community Fun and Fitness Center in New Port Richey. She has 24 years of martial arts experience, and was first introduced to the sport at age 6.

"My main focus has always been Tae kwon do but I also explored Kenpo, Uechi Ryu, Capoeira, Kali Kuntao, and Kung Fu a bit too," she said. "I first got involved when I was 6 years old. One of my older brothers was taking Tae kwon do and would come home and show me what he learned in class."

"He was really just using me as his training dummy," she said, adding with a chuckle, "I don't remember if I joined because I liked what he was showing me or felt that I needed to defend myself from him."

She considers her new world record the highlight of her career.

"I have won quite a few trophies in sparring, forms, and board breaking but never anything like this," she said.

She first learned about this world record through extensive online research before the tournament; armed with this information, Cleveland started working toward a new goal.

"I made sure I did 100 crunches, practiced my forms, and side kicked a heavy bag as hard as I could every morning," she said. "Sometimes I would kick the heavy bag so hard that the bones in my fingers would hurt from the shockwave...I knew I had a good kick when that happened."

At the actual event, Cleveland set the new world record on her second attempt.

"Once I realized I had broken all of them it was such an awesome feeling," she said.

Cleveland, also a tae kwon do instructor at the New First Baptist of Odessa, wants to pass this feeling onto her students, inspiring them to overcome the odds to achieve their goals.

"This is a story of perseverance I can tell my students because my side kick was by far my worst technique for years until right before I got my black belt," she said.

Inspiring people to get the most of martial arts and fitness is the idea behind Community Fun and Fitness, Cleveland's Pasco-based nonprofit organization headquartered in a building donated by New First Baptist Church of Odessa.

Community Fun & Fitness Center, at 1234 Gunn Highway, is a nonprofit organization in Pasco County that will offer donation-based fitness classes and community service events for all ages and all incomes, she said. "I formed this organization in 2007 with hopes that I could provide all ages, toddlers to senior citizens, a place to join physically and mentally beneficial classes (like martial arts and dance classes) all on a donation-based system so that everyone could afford to take part in something that has been such a good part of my life," she said.

She even took out a personal loan to pay for the $100,000 renovations the building needed before its scheduled 2010 opening.

"We just got a new roof, and this week the building is getting a face lift with new exterior paint and a new parking lot," she said. "I really hope once we are open people will rush in to take advantage of our donation based classes."

In Cleveland's eyes, the rewards of studying martial arts are well worth the work.

"The most important benefit by far is confidence, especially for women," she said. "Women usually feel that there is nothing they can do if they are attacked by a man who is so much bigger and stronger than them. In the first class I have my students learn to break boards with a palm strike. Right away I see their confidence grow and I know that they are already more able to defend themselves should the need arose. Flexibility is also something that I see develop in students. Other benefits are: strength, endurance, discipline, overall health, the list goes on and on."

In the future, she plans to compete at the US Open World Martial Arts Event again in 2010 - this time, she'll try to break her own record.

"Next year I will try for six!" she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

d@mn... i only saw the word guiness... no beer here.