Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

Not quite Guinness

The Singapore Book of records (shouldn't it be the Tiger book of records?)

Jul 4, 2010
    Record-smashing turnout
    By Sue-ann Chia

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong (centre), labour chief Lim Swee Say and several MPs participated in the mass qigong display at the Woodlands Stadium on Sunday with an aim for a place in the Singapore Book of Records as the largest mass qigong display. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

AS THE cool morning breeze blew across Woodlands Stadium on Sunday, almost 3,000 people swayed to a slow and steady rhythm.

Dressed in red and white, participants looked like they were rehearsing for a mass display in the upcoming National Day parade.

But the large gathering, which included Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, labour chief Lim Swee Say and several MPs, were there for another reason.

They were aiming for a place in the Singapore Book of Records as the largest mass qigong display.

And they did it with ease - smashing the previous record set by Ayer Rajah-West Coast constituency Sports Club last September.

Then, 765 people performed qigong together. On Sunday, there was more than triple the number of people - exactly 2,698.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A qigong stunt

For Ripley's

Chinese Man Pulls Plane With His Eyelids

In an unbelievably weird and phenomenal performance, a Chinese martial arts expert has defied the laws of gravity (not to mention the limits of human belief) and actually pulled an airplane for five meters (more than 17 feet) by a rope hooked onto his eyelids!

Certainly seeming like an act from a festival conducted by the likes of Ripley’s Believe It or Not, Dong Changsheng, aged 50, performed the stunt in front of many observers at the Changchun International Exhibition Center in Jilan Province.

After fastening two metal hooks into his lower eyelids with ropes attached to the amphibian plane, he pulled the aircraft, which weighed half a ton, in less than one minute for sixteen feet.

A student of Kung Fu for nearly forty years, Dong has amassed many awards for his seemingly super human prowess.

“I have pulled a car with my eyelids before, but this was the first time with an aeroplane…To be honest, I didn’t use my full strength and I think I could probably pull it three times the distance. I have built up the body strength to do this but it would be very dangerous for ordinary people…I don’t want anyone to copy me,” Dong told the City Daily newspaper.

The martial arts expert has performed other amazing feats in his lifetime and in fact, makes a living traveling around China performing startling feats of skill to packed audiences. Three years ago, he pulled a car with his eyelids for about thirty feet and he attributes his ability to do this to a system of breathing exercises known as Quigong.

Perhaps even more amazing is the fact that according to some, particularly a man named Jim Rose, Dong’s feat is child’s play compared to the acts performed in his circus in Scotland. He claims that his cast of performers can do even more amazing things, like stapling a dollar bill to a forehead or lifting heavy objects with male genitalia.

Who is to really say about such feats of skill?

I guess one criteria when watching Dong would be to quietly ask yourself:

Could I ever hope to do that?

I don’t know about you, but I know what my answer is!

What do YOU think about this?

Not quite as good as this: Iron Crotch Plane Tow 2006
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A qigong stunt

For Ripley's

I'm changing the title of this thread from "Guinness Book of World Record Martial Arts" to "Martial Arts World Records and Stunts" despite my love of Guinness.

Chinese Man Pulls Plane With His Eyelids

In an unbelievably weird and phenomenal performance, a Chinese martial arts expert has defied the laws of gravity (not to mention the limits of human belief) and actually pulled an airplane for five meters (more than 17 feet) by a rope hooked onto his eyelids!

Certainly seeming like an act from a festival conducted by the likes of Ripley’s Believe It or Not, Dong Changsheng, aged 50, performed the stunt in front of many observers at the Changchun International Exhibition Center in Jilan Province.

After fastening two metal hooks into his lower eyelids with ropes attached to the amphibian plane, he pulled the aircraft, which weighed half a ton, in less than one minute for sixteen feet.

A student of Kung Fu for nearly forty years, Dong has amassed many awards for his seemingly super human prowess.

“I have pulled a car with my eyelids before, but this was the first time with an aeroplane…To be honest, I didn’t use my full strength and I think I could probably pull it three times the distance. I have built up the body strength to do this but it would be very dangerous for ordinary people…I don’t want anyone to copy me,” Dong told the City Daily newspaper.

The martial arts expert has performed other amazing feats in his lifetime and in fact, makes a living traveling around China performing startling feats of skill to packed audiences. Three years ago, he pulled a car with his eyelids for about thirty feet and he attributes his ability to do this to a system of breathing exercises known as Quigong.

Perhaps even more amazing is the fact that according to some, particularly a man named Jim Rose, Dong’s feat is child’s play compared to the acts performed in his circus in Scotland. He claims that his cast of performers can do even more amazing things, like stapling a dollar bill to a forehead or lifting heavy objects with male genitalia.

Who is to really say about such feats of skill?

I guess one criteria when watching Dong would be to quietly ask yourself:

Could I ever hope to do that?

I don’t know about you, but I know what my answer is!

What do YOU think about this?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    For Ripley's

Well, **** me in the mouth !!!
    That is something !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

handwalking fu

Xiamen Kungfu practitioner can hand walk for 60 metres within 30 sec
    Updated: 30 Jul 2010

Fan Congcong, a lifeguard at a swim club in Xiamen, can handwalk for 60 metres within 30 seconds after practicing martial arts for about 17 years, reports Strait Herald.

The 20-year-old muscle man comes from Zhoukou city in central China’s Hunan Province, and is now working as a lifeguard in Xiamen.

His father is a bodyguard whose dream is to become a Kungfu star. Obviously, Fan’s father wants to live vicariously through him and intends to train Fun into a Kungfu master. So Fan’s father has required Fan to practice Kungfu since he was three years old.

When Fan was twelve years old, he was sent to the Shaolin Temple in Mount Songshan of Henan Province. After so many years’ practice, he can now climb stairs and run quickly while standing on his hands.

Recently, the Council of Shanghai Great World Guinness intends to recommend him to perform his stunts on CCTV. Fan said that he hoped he could become a Kungfu star like Jackie Chan.
    Figures. Another Shaolin graduate...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wing Chun world record

I'm posted this on the Wing Chun forum initially, but I'm going to merge it with our Martial Arts World Records and Stunts thread later.
    3,000 perform Wing Chun kung fu together for world record
    16:55, September 26, 2010

A total of 3,170 practitioners of Wing Chun, a form of Chinese kung fu, from resident and villager committees of Luo Village and foreigners from all over the world performed the nine series of Wing Chun Fist, including Xiaoliantou and Xunqiao, to rhythmical and powerful music in Luo Village of Nanhai, Foshan, hometown of Ye Wen, kung fu master and teacher of Bruce Lee, on the morning of Sept. 25. Their skilled movements and tidy performance won a rapturous ovation from the audience.

There were white-haired old people, innocent children and many foreigners in the performance group. Reporters found that more than 3,000 enthusiasts in the group were local residents of Luo Village and the others were Wing Chun enthusiasts from Wing Chun associations worldwide.

"This is my first time to participate in the activity. I am now 62 years old and dozens of my disciples also came with me. We return to the Ye Wen Temple to look for our roots almost every year," said Guo Simu, who opened a martial arts club in the United Kingdom.

The Britain-based General Headquarters of Guinness World Records also attended the activity to witness the birth of a new record, and announced that the large-scale Wing Chun Fist performance by more than 3,000 people successfully created a new record in the Guinness World Records.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2010 x 8

Follow the link for video.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010
    Largest 'Chi-Kung Eight Brocade Coils' Exercise - Lifetree sets world record

BUDAPEST, Hungary--The Lifetree Chi-Kung Health Day was organised in course of Lifetree Programme in Ferenc Puskás Stadium in Budapest; the 2010 participants at the record attempt led by the Hungarian Shaolin Centre Kerepes team practiced the movements perfectly - setting the new world record for the Largest 'Chi-Kung Eight Brocade Coils'Exercise.

Photo: Ba Duan Chin, Chikung: during the practice (five section brocades). Photographer: Tamás Fenyvesi

The 'battle-field' of the stadium was divided into 22 sectors and the record attempt started with the supervision of the counter commissioners.

The fifteen-minute Ba Duan Jin Chi-Kung Eight Brocade Coils Exercise was led by Dr Robert Lyons, the prominent representative of the Hungarian Shaolin Centre Kerepes and was monitored and checked by the notary public, Dr József Kovács.

The partakers could watch the exercises on the giant screen of the stadium, so the crowd could move in perfect harmony.

After finishing the drill all of the counter commissioners gave their number reports of their own sectors in the presence of the notary public.

Photo: Ba Duan Chin, Chikung: end of the practice. Photor:
    Béla Tóth

After the summary the total number of the participators was 2010.

The collective success and the appreciation and congratulation of the two invited Chinese past masters, the 82-year-old James Y.S. Wu and Si-Gong Che Cheng Chiang, were a great pleasure and honour for all the participants. The masters accepted and certified the completed drill.

The Life Tree National Health Preserving Program also set two other Guinness World Records back in 2009:
    - The Guinness World record for the Largest kickboxing class and
    - The Guinness World record for the Largest dance class.

The new world record for the Largest 'Chi-Kung Eight Brocade Coils' Exercise was sponsored by:
    Kaqun Hungária Kft.
    Axel Springer-Magyarország Kft
    Magyar Shaolin Központ Kerepes
    Actress Linda Verebes and |
    Actor Csaba Pindroch
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On TMZ

If only there was a busted celeb involved....

Kung Fu Master Hits the Nail on the Headstand
    10/27/2010 1:47 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Don't try this at home -- unless you're a thick-skinned Kung Fu expert with incredible balance and a high threshold for pain.

Professional badass Li Xin recently showed the world his incredibly awesome and equally ridiculous ability to balance his entire body weight on top of nail ... using only his tender dome skin as a point of contact.

Ain't that a ***** in the head?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1110 kicks in 30 minutes

News » October 31, 2010
    Pakistani man sets martial arts world record with 1110 kicks in 30 mins
    Sunday, October 31, 2010, 13:00 [IST]

Islamabad, Oct 31 (ANI): A martial arts expert from Pakistan, Ahmed Hussain, has smashed the world record in martial arts kicks with 1110 kicks in 30 minutes.

Hussain, who belongs to Upper Dir district in Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa province, made this new world record in presence of two judges at Peshawar Press Club, reports the News.

Moreover, he also improved his previous best record of most kicks in one minute with 146 kicks beating his previous best of 144 kicks in a minute.

Hussain also have the world best record of punches with 400 punches in one minute under his belt.

All his records have been added in Geneses Book Of World Records and 'the punch and kick' champion now looks for appreciation from government. (ANI)
    Geneses? I have a book? Oh yeah...;)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Monk?

It's really a nun, but we won't quibble
    Female Kung Fu monk pulls six cars by hand
    16:43, November 19, 2010

Spectators clap for Master Hui Long, who pulled six cars weighing 9 tons for 15 meters with her bare hands in the Tan Zhe Temple of Beijing On Nov. 18. (Photo by Hu Xuebai/Chinanews.com)

A female monk over the age of 50 pulled six cars weighing 9 tons connected by a rope for 15 meters with her bare hands, astonishing all people on site, at the road before the Tan Zhe Temple on the outskirts of Beijing City On Nov. 18.

The 53-year-old female monk, or Master Hui Long, was named Zhang Tingting. She once pulled six cars with her hair in Beijing in 2009.

Master Hui Long said she is a Shaolin martial arts practitioner, who learned the difficult form qigong since her childhood and is versatile with various martial weapons. She traveled around China to learn and put into practice her martial arts when she was young.

In 1989, she went to the Shaolin Temple to learn more about martial arts and has become a lay disciple since then to devote herself to Buddhist meditation except martial arts. She said she also taught foreigners martial arts before.

Master Hui Long said she performs to demonstrate the marvelous Chinese martial arts, especially Shaolin Kung Fu.

Liu Yu, professor from the Shanghai University of Sport, said an ordinary man is also capable of pulling a car or two after receiving a certain amount of exercise. Master Long Hui, who can pull 6 cars, was indeed beyond ordinary people, but that did not mean she really needed 9 tons of strength. She only needed to overcome the friction between the ground and those cars, which was much easier.

A power sensor bound to the rope could tell you how much effort Master Hui Long used to pull the six cars, the scholar said.
    Incredible ... female Shaolin Monk Master Tingting, 53, pulls cars weighing more than nine tons
    By STAFF REPORTER
    Published: Today

A WOMAN who learned Kung Fu from her grandad from the age of three has pulled six cars weighing more than NINE TONS.

Shaolin Monk Master Zhang Tingting, 53, shamed the men who had tried, and failed, to perform the feat.

She said: "I think my grandfather would have liked to have taught a son, but my parents only had a girl.

"Then when he saw how good I was he was really proud."

Tingting showed off her skills to the public when she towed the cars 50ft outside the Tanzhe temple, at Mentougou in Beijing.

Several men among the visitors had already attempted to move the cars — but they only started to budge when mighty Tingting started pulling.

She said: "I haven't pulled cars in this way before, so I really was a little tired."

Tingting was allowed to join the monastery as an apprentice in 1989 and is now a master and award winning Kung Fu fighter.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Largest Kung Fu Display of Diverse Styles

Wednesday, January 5, 2011
    Largest Kung Fu Display of Diverse Styles: Chinese Kung Fu Fans set world record
    KOWLOON, Hong Kong SAR, China--1645 Chinese Kung Fu practitioners of 30 varying Kung Fu styles, led by professional Chinese kung fu masters, have done the Chinese Kung Fu performance (the Basic style) simultaneously in Sham Shui Po Sport Ground - setting the new world record for the Largest Kung Fu Display of Diverse Styles.

Photo: The World's Largest Kung Fu Display of Diverse Styles. (enlarge photo)

The new world record was set using the Music "General's Command", a traditional Chinese song commonly used for Kung Fu.

The world record attempt was organized by The Working Group on Festive Celebration and Publicity, Sham Shui Po District Council.

Chinese Kung Fu is inclusive of many different traits and fighting styles. Performers in the event were also coming from 30 differing Kung Fu Backgrounds, surpassing any existing figure of any similar Guinness world record attempt in the world.

(enlarge photo)

Participants were divided into 54 groups/schools led by their Kung Fu masters, forming a Chinese floral pattern with the logo of Sham Shui Po District representing flourishing of Chinese Kung Fu in Sham Shui Po District.
    The floral pattern is originated from traditional Chinese floral pattern with outline of a persimmon, which is a symbol of blessing.

Mr Li Fa Jun, Grand Master, Taoist Chen Jen Long Men Chuan 29th Dragon Gate Lineage and Mr Cheung Po Lam, Chairman of China Hong Kong Traditional Wushu Fedration were invited to witness the attempt and accompany Dr CHAN Tung, SBS, JP, Chairman of the Sham Shui Po District Council and Miss May CHAN, JP, Sham Shui Po District Officer, Home Affairs Department of HKSAR government to anounce the record.

The performance lasted for a total of 5 minutes, aiming to set the world record of Largest Chinese Kung Fu display in term of the number of varying fighting styles participated in the event.

The Guinness world record for the Largest Wing Chun kung fu display (single style) is 3,170 participants.

Guinness World Records also recognized the longest Kung Fu training session, set by the 10 members of the Greater Manchester Police Martial Arts Club: 24 hours.

Guinness World Records recognized actress Dame Diana Rigg (UK) as the Earliest western actress to perform kung fu on television: in 1965, combat choreographers Ray Austin (UK) and Chee So (UK/China) worked elements of the martial art into her fight scenes on The Avengers.
    Yay for EMMA PEEL!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not quite martial arts...

...although I have encountered sword swallowers in China that claim it is an expression of their qigong practice.
    February 2011
    Ripley’s St. Augustine to celebrate Sword Swallowers Day

Nearly 20 sword swallowers will be “dropping swords” at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditoriums worldwide at 2:26 p.m. on February 26, in celebration of the Fifth Annual World Sword Swallower’s Day.

As part of the international event, Atlanta’s Chris Steele will headline a free sword swallowing show outside the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! St. Augustine Odditorium. The performance will start at 1:30 p.m., with the finale at 2:26 p.m. The Odditorium is located at 19 San Marco Ave., 904-824-1606.

World Sword Swallower’s Day was founded by the Sword Swallowers Association International (SSAI) and is co-sponsored by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! locations around the world.

Why World Sword Swallower’s Day?

“We sword swallowers risk our lives every time we swallow swords, but many people don’t believe it’s real, or they think the art has died out,” explains Dan Meyer, a sword swallower who has been featured in Ripley’s Believe It or Not! “We established World Sword Swallower’s Day to raise awareness of the medical contributions sword swallowers have made to the fields of medicine and science, to honor veteran performers, to raise funds for esophageal cancer research and the Injured Sword Swallower’s Relief Fund (with donations matched by Ripley’s), and to correct myths by putting on sword swallowing demonstrations for the public and media around the world.”

Why is Ripley co-sponsoring it?

“Because it’s great entertainment,” said Tim O’Brien, VP of Communications for Ripley Entertainment Inc. “Sword swallowers and Ripley go way back to the very first Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium, set up at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933. There, three performers, two of whom were ladies, mesmerized the huge crowds. Ripley’s has been home to sword swallowers around the world ever since.”

“It’s a huge honor for us to carry on the great tradition of sword swallowers who have performed at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! museums over the years!” Meyer explains. “In light of this, SSAI is sending out an open invitation to all sword swallowers around the world to contact us and join us in swallowing swords at Ripley’s Believe It or Not museums and other locations on the 26th!”

The art of sword swallowing began more than 4,000 years ago in India, and requires the practitioner to use mind-over-matter techniques to control the body and repress natural reflexes to insert solid steel blades from 15 to 25 inches down the esophagus and into the stomach. With the demise of the traveling circus sideshow over the past several decades, there are currently less than a few dozen full-time professional sword swallowers actively performing the deadly art around the world today.

Special to The St. Augustine Underground from Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seen it

I'm told that this isn't that hard as the eyelid muscles are quite strong. You just have to have the gumption to stick something in your eye and clench down on it, which is a feat in itself.

J.D. Zhang did this for our 10 Year Anniversary Gala, if memory serves.
    Simon Garner - 11th April, 2011
    Kung Fu master swings weights from his eye
    It's no optical illusion - Feng Hu really is clenching a steel nail with his eyelid and swinging weights from it.

The eye has it: Feng Hu puts a steel nail at the corner of his eye, ties a rope to a bucket of water and lifts it

(Picture: CEN) The eye has it: Feng Hu puts a steel nail at the corner of his eye, ties a rope to a bucket of water and lifts it (Picture: CEN)

Kung Fu master Feng - from Luoyang, Henan province, central China - began staging his shows after decades of studying pain control techniques as part of his kung fu training.

Feng who likes swinging a bucket of water from his eye, explained: 'I can redirect my chi to make parts of my body forget about their nerves and they no longer hurt or get damaged.

'People think it is magic but it is years of dedication and training'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sort of a stunt

Reminds me of Ricky Jay
    Kung fu card hurler
    Last Updated: Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 11:59 GMT Previous Page

A Chinese man has carved out a new career as a card sharp - by using his kung fu training to hurl playing cards like throwing knives.

Bai Dengchun, 23, can throw cards with such force and accuracy that he can slice a cucumber or burst a balloon from 16ft away.

His parents thought his unusual hobby was a waste of time - until a slot on TV led to an opening as a performer in magic shows.

Bai, from Qingdao, northern China's Shandong Province, showed off his skills by throwing 28 cards into a watermelon from 10ft away.

He can also use his card-throwing talents to break an egg or knock off the end of a lit cigarette from a friend's mouth.

"The cards are like darts to me. I can precisely hit any target within a five metre radius," said Bai, who learnt kung fu from childhood.

Ironically, he developed his talent because he was such a poor poker player: "When I was young I loved playing poker but I always lost," he explained.

"I would always end up throwing my hand away and eventually I realised I could throw the cards a long way away - and very accurately.

"Three years ago I decided to give up poker and take up throwing cards instead.

Each month I used part of my salary to buy cards to practice with and it's paid off."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Holy Crap, it's Bullseye !!!

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !