Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts World Records and Stunts

Slighty OT

Not martial. But very China.

Yangzhou stripped of fried rice record after waste scandal
    (Xinhua) Updated: 2015-10-26 16:05

300 people make a 4.19-ton Yangzhou fried rice in Yangzhou, Jiangsu province, Oct 22, 2015. [Photo by Meng Delong/Asianewsphoto]

BEIJING - A group of 300 people who cooked four tonnes of fried rice in Yangzhou in the eastern province of Jiangsu have been told that they failed to break the world record because the food had been wasted, confirmed Guinness World Records Ltd. on Monday morning.

"We held back on publicizing the results because we had been reviewing the information submitted by the organizer," Sharon Yang, Guinness Greater China marketing director, told Xinhua.

"The organizer admitted that 150 kilograms of the rice was handled improperly. The products created in any record attempt involving food must be given to people and not wasted. Hereby, we have notified the organizer that the record was revoked," she said.

This decision came after reports that the rice was used as pig feed.

This year is the 2,500th anniversary of Yangzhou City. As part of the celebrations, 300 people last Friday spent four hours cooking 4.19 tonnes of Yangzhou fried rice.

The fried rice, which is flavored with eggs, sea cucumber and other ingredients, reportedly broke the previous record, which had been held by Turkey.

The organizer of the event had said that the fried rice would be distributed to students of four schools.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Stumbled on this searching for something completely different

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another for Anthony Kelly

There's video embedded but you must follow the link.

'Arrow Catcher' snares another world record
    Quinn Jones, WWOS
    16:00 AEST Thu Nov 12 2015

What happens when a tennis ball is fired at nearly 193kmh?

The 'Arrow Catcher' breaks another Guinness world record.

Australia's highest record-holder Anthony Kelly added another title to his name when his superhuman reflexes set a new mark for 'fastest tennis ball caught'.

Appearing on Today to celebrate Guinness World Record Day, Kelly braved a cannon-like ball machine that shot out the missiles at 200kmh.

Standing 6m from then machine and only with a 0.106 of a second reaction time, Kelly, who is the holder of 40 world records, caught three of eight shots fired down at him, breaking the record with one flying at a speed of 192.9kmh.

The speed of the shots and Kelly's amazing hand-eye coordination drew gasps of astonishment from the Today studio.

"You can't even see it!" Host Karl Stefanovic exclaimed.

However, the record was without its dangers with Kelly forced to suffer a number of painful blows before nabbing the record ball.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Kelly

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And an article on Kelly

Way to go, Anthony! The Coxons too!

Guinness World Record holder Anthony Kelly, of Armidale, wins spear-catching title Nov. 12, 2015, 9:30 p.m.

LIGHTNING FAST: Armidale arrow-catcher Anthony Kelly proved his reflexes were quicker than most, breaking yet another record on Guinness World Record Day yesterday.

A HANDFUL of Aussies, including Armidale’s arrow-catching martial artist Anthony Kelly, have smashed their way into history on Guinness World Record Day.

Australia’s highest record-holder, Mr Kelly has added yet another string to his bow, breaking the record for the fastest tennis ball caught, at the lightning speed of 192.9km/h.

Often referred to as a ninja, Mr Kelly is renowned for his fast reflexes, in particular his ability to catch fast-moving items. He holds the world record for most arrows caught in two minutes, blindfolded.

Last year on Guinness World Record Day, Mr Kelly succeeded in his attempt to break the record for the most spears shot out of a spear gun and caught underwater in one minute.

After three attempts, where he caught eight from eight in two rounds, then 10 from 10, he smashed the world record by three.

Mr Kelly was just part of the global record-smashing attempt, along with fellow martial arts guru Glenn Coxon, who smashed his way through 338 wooden boards in one minute.

While he didn’t break his previous record of 359 boards, set in 2005, the Sydney area resident retains his record-holder status as he created the original record.

Record-breaking is in the family, as Mr Coxon’s daughter Summerly, 27, broke the record for the most wooden boards broken in one minute by a female. She broke a whopping 215, beating the record of 161 boards.

The feat was a personal triumph for the family, as just last year Mr Coxon was diagnosed with advanced and aggressive cancer in his neck and shoulder.

After surgery and radiation, he’s beaten the odds and is determined to give back to those who saved him from becoming another statistic, particularly the team from the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Cancer Hospital at RPA.

While these three record-breaking attempts were happening at Sydney Olympic Park yesterday, Perth-based HoopFit coach Bree Kirk-Burnnand attempted to set a new world record for most hula hoops spun simultaneously by an individual. The Guinness World Record is 162 hoops at one time and was only recently set.

A skateboard-riding dog in Peru aimed to pass through the longest human tunnel, and a Japanese man sabered as many champagne bottles as he could in 30 seconds. In the UK, the Poms attempted the largest gathering of people dressed as penguins, while the Chinese aimed to create the world’s largest lipstick sculpture.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Press Release

From the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION:

FEMALE SPORTS STARS CARLI LLOYD, HOLLY HOLM, AND LETICIA BUFONI
    SCORE RECORDS IN NEW
    GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION

New York, NY – October 12, 2016 – There’s only one place where you will find the biggest names in the world of sport side-by-side and that is in the sports pages of the new and updated GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION, which is out now. Featured in this year’s edition are record-breaking feats from some of the most well regarded female athletes from around the world.

Starting with SOCCER, US Women’s National Team member, Carli Lloyd claimed titles for Most goals in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final by an individual (3), the Fastest goal in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final (just 3 minutes after kick-off), and the Oldest goal-scorer in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final (at 32 years and 354 days old). These three impressive record titles were achieved by the midfielder in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Final matchup against Japan, in which Carli delivered an extraordinary performance that made her worthy of the recognition as the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year.

Guinness World Records caught up with Carli at her hometown soccer field in Medford, New Jersey, ahead of her appearance in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio, to present her with her official certificates. On her Guinness World Records achievements, Carli commented, “I remember as a kid always looking for this book and just seeing all the records that are in this book. It’s pretty cool to be included. I’m honored and thrilled to be accepting not just one but three record titles.”

In the field of MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, Holly Holm achieved the record for being the First athlete to win boxing and MMA world titles. Holm achieved a World Boxing Association welterweight championship in 2006 and a UFC bantamweight championship in 2015. She became the official record holder for this title after her incredible match against Ronda Rousey, at UFC 193 in Melbourne. Holm’s upset is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in UFC history. When presented with her certificate Holly mentioned that her record-breaking achievement is “something I dreamed of” and “a reminder to keep pushing forward.”

Lastly, in STREET SPORTS, Brazilian skateboarder Leticia Bufoni is featured as holding the record for Most wins of the World Skateboarding street world rankings (female), with a total of four. The three-time X Games champion mentioned that, “It is an honor to be included in this year’s book. For me skateboarding is more about having fun with your friends than it is about winning... but don’t get me wrong, winning is great too!” Leticia has been competing in the X Games and developing her skateboarding skills since the age of 14 and has been nominated for an ESPY award for her remarkable performance.

Other records of note in the sports pages include:
    • Longest span of Grand Slam singles titles (open era) – 22 – Serena Williams
    • Fastest long course 800 M freestyle (female) – 8 min 6.68 sec – Katie Ledecky
    • Fastest serve (tennis) – 131 mph – Sabine Lisicki
    • Most goals in FIFA Women’s World Cup finals – 15 –Marta Vieira da Silva

The aforementioned sports records are just a snippet of what you will find across 24 sports pages, 19 different sports disciplines with personalized record holder profiles on selected stars with facts, stats and trivia to boost. The 2017 edition also includes bonus content commemorating the 125th anniversary of basketball and a look at the winter and summer X Games, with historic records and facts from the sports’ stars.

The 2017 GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS book and Gamer’s Edition are available in stores for a suggested retail price of $28.95 and $14.99 respectively.
    Does Holly Holm deserve her own indie thread on the MMA forum? Probably, but I don't feel up to copying previous posts into one right now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anthony Kelly again

Got to hand it to Anthony. He keeps delivering records.

Anthony Kelly will attempt his next Guinness World Record on Sunday.
    Madeline Link
    9 Nov 2016, 2 p.m.

ARMIDALE'S BRUCE LEE: Anthony Kelly will attempt his next world record on Sunday. He plans to break the record for the most chopsticks to hit a target in a minute.

AS the sun rises Anthony Kelly finishes the first 50 push-ups and sit-ups of 200 he will complete that day, and every other day, for the next 200 days.

He has imposed the rigorous training in the lead up to the next Guinness World Record he plans to break, with the most chopsticks to hit a target blindfolded in one minute.

“Am I confident I’m going to break this record? Hell yeah,” Mr Kelly said.

His love of martial arts began more than 40 years ago and quickly became a Guinness World Record obsession, of which he now has more than 40 under his belt.

“I had a great passion for Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali and I really wanted to be as fast or as good as I could be, I’m the youngest of five brothers so living in the seventies was pretty full on,” he said.

“I was sick of getting the cane at school and getting bashed up at the bus stop so I thought there had to be a better way to live life than being a punching bag.”

Each record he plans to break takes significant physical and mental preparation.

“When I do it I’m so focused that I can hear flies flying around,” he said.

“I don’t meditate and lots of people expect that I sit around watching a mountain or something, my meditation is catching a ball travelling at 200km/h or doing something really deadly because it gets me in the zone.”

Mr Kelly lives on a diet of meat and potatoes and claims he hasn’t eaten fruit or vegetables in his life.

Unwilling to reveal the next record he plans to break, Mr Kelly said the ideas he has for the future are significantly dangerous.

“My motto is ‘physically, mentally, faster, stronger,’” he said.

“I know I’m only going to live once and so that’s why I do it, I want to try to get the most out of myself.

” I’ve got some really wild ideas of what I want to do but it’s pushing the human boundaries and I don’t want to die just yet.”

The record for most chopsticks caught sighted is also held by Mr Kelly.

The record attempt will be held on Sunday in his home and Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall will witness the proceedings.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Muhammad Ifran Mehsud

Sounds like quite a tale of overcoming adversity.

Muhammed Mehsud’s Kung Fu skills make it to Guinness World Record

By: Online
    24-Feb-17 338

DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Muhammad Ifran Mehsud made it to the Guinness World Record (GWR) for his spectacular Kung Fu skills.

Pakistan and South Asia Wushu Federation President Malik Iftikhar commented, “His biggest achievement came for breaking five records consecutively in the year 2016.”

The Guinness World Records approved Mehsud’s record for ‘full knee striking using one leg is 87.’ The rest of his records include 31 pushups in a minture with one leg raised, carrying 40lb pack. The most knuckle pushups in one minute is 26, the most knuckle pushups on one leg raised carrying a 40-lb pack in one minute is 21, and the most pushups in which one leg is raised, carrying an 80-lb pack in one minute is 21. He achieved these records from July to October in 2016.

Mehsud, 26, is an MPhil student from Ladha, in the militancy-plagued South Waziristan tribal region.

“I was really stunned to know that a person from the tribal region and whose family has been displaced has emerged at the global arena,” he stated.

According to sources, Mehsud informed the media that his parents had to migrate to Dera Ismail Khanbecause of clashes between Pakistani security forces and militants.

Mehsud declared his achievement as a “Record Title Holder” as a life turning event. He said there are no limitations on a player to break the record on any given day. “My predecessor had maintained the record for one and a half year until I broke it in October,” he stated. Mehsud broke the record of another Pakistani too. Ahmad Amin Bodla was the record holder for making 79 strikes in one minute while Mehsud got 87 strikes in the same time. Bodla belongs to Punjab province of Pakistan.

The PSB policy is silent about the promotion of Kung Fu in the country which is very unfortunate for Mehsud.

Iftikhar stated, “The world was hearing about militancy and extremism only from the Pakistani tribal region but the emergence of Irfan Mehsud as a budding player clearly depicts that ‘the area has matchless talent but needs to be explored.” Iftikhar added, “I would personally leave no stone unturned to promote Mehsud because I have faced challenges boldly at a time when I was leading my life in displacement.”

Mehsud mentioned that currently he is getting daily exercise in a rented mud-built house yet he is determined to project the soft image of the country in the world. However, Mehsud informed the media that he plans to go abroad for advance training if the government supports him. “I’m leading a hard life with limited resources and have no support from the government,” he added. He hopes to be provided with ‘direly needed equipment and building’ so that he can take part in global competitions and bring achievements home.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1,152 martial artists take part in record-breaking Taekwondo display

1,152 martial artists take part in record-breaking Taekwondo display in India
    By Rachel Swatman Published 20 February 2017

Jayanth Reddy International Taekwondo Academy achieved the record for Largest Taekwondo display (multiple venues) back in 2014, with 979 participants taking part at venues across India.

This year the school's owner Jayanth wanted to create an even bigger and more spectacular event, by inviting his students to take part in the Largest Taekwondo display at a single venue.

Working with the Indian Martial Arts Academy Team, he managed to round up an incredible 1,152 martial arts students from all over India to take part in a mass performance at Saroor Nagar Outdoor Stadium in Hyderabad, India.

Many of the participants were young kids and everyone wore the traditional dobok/gi for the attempt.

In order to achieve the title, everyone had to perform the martial arts routine simultaneously for a minimum of ten minutes and to a reasonable standard.

The participants successfully broke the previous record of 991 that was achieved by M.R Bobbili in India back in September 2016.

The event was organised by martial arts teacher Jayanth Reddy, who has been mastering his skills for 35 years and already has a number of Guinness World Records titles under his black belt.

He achieved the record for the Most full contact punch strikes in one minute (one hand) in July 2016, beating the previous record holder by 19 punches to set a new record of 352.

Back in 2012 he smashed the record for Round house kicks - most concrete blocks broken in one minute (male) with 34.

Jayanth Reddy attempting the Guinness World Records title for round house kicks

"Martial arts has given a lot to me, and I want to give back in any way possible to increase its popularity. In the next three years, I wish to help another 10,000 Indians achieve world records. This will improve India's reputation in the world of martial arts, which is currently dominated by countries like China, Japan, Korea and Thailand," Jaynath told Times of India in 2015.

After helping 1,152 people get into the record books with for the largest Taekwondo display, Jayanth is on the way to achieving his goal.
    There's more coming today...lots of new Guinness World Records for martial arts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

87 Tameshigiri in one minute

Video: Japanese martial arts master attempts katana world record
    By Rachel Swatman
    Published 02 March 2017

Our new weekly video series Meet the Record Breakers – Japan Tour shines a spotlight on some of the most incredible world record holders from the nation.

This week’s instalment features multiple record-breaking martial arts expert Isao Machii, who attempts to set a new record for Most martial arts sword cuts in one minute (rush straw).

He attempts the challenge under the watchful eye of Guinness World Records adjudicator Kaoru Ishikawa in a park in Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan.

The rules for this title state that the straw shafts must be a minimum of 90 cm in length and clearly divided into four sections of 15 cm. The cuts must then be made in the 15cm sections marked on the shafts.

The martial arts master successfully wins the record with a total of 87 precise samurai sword cuts.

“I see Guinness World Records as a way of securing my legacy … a great way for me to have my name go down in history around the world,” Isao said.

The 44-year-old, who learning his sport at the age of five, has secured a number of impressive Guinness World Records titles thanks to his katana skills.

His other titles include Fastest tennis ball cut by sword, Fastest BB pellet cut by sword (pictured above), Most sword cuts to straw mats in three minutes, Most martial arts sword cuts to one mat (Suegiri) and Fastest 1,000 martial arts (iaido) sword cuts (pictured below).

Stay tuned for next week’s Meet the Record Breakers –Japan Tour video – make sure you don’t miss an episode by subscribing to the Guinness World Records YouTube channel.
    More on Isao Machii here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

77 drink cans smashed by elbow in one minute

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Video: Pakistani martial arts expert crushes 77 drinks cans and a world record with his elbow
    By Rachel Swatman Published 23 February 2017

Martial arts expert Muhammad Rashid from Pakistan has achieved a number of impressive Guinness World Records titles over the past couple of years.

The most recent, and arguably the most dramatic attempt so far has seen him set a new record for the Most drink cans crushed with elbow in one minute, destroying 77 full cans in just 60 seconds.

The Guinness World Records rules for this challenge state that the cans must be unopened at the beginning and then crumpled to a minimum width of 3 cm (1.18 in).

Organised by the Associazione Cons.erva, a large audience came to watch the attempt in Gemona, Italy and cheer Muhammad on.

Many of the spectators had to put up umbrellas to protect themselves from the spray.

Muhammad is from Karachi Sindh, Pakistan and is the founder and president of Pakistan Academy of Martial Arts.

Some of his other titles include Most nunchaku hits in one minute (350), Most walnuts crushed by the hand in one minute (201), Most walnuts crushed with elbow in one minute (128) and Most spins of a fire staff in one minute (188).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ye Wei & the 7 Audis

There's a vid, plus I huyperlinked to the source on Pear video. Pear? Pair? srsly?

Audi do that? Kung fu master uses his testicles to pull SEVEN CARS weighing over 12 tonnes

Ye Wei, from China, moved seven vehicles for 26ft using his genitals last week
    The 39-year-old broke his personal record of pulling five Audi cars last year
    The stunt, Xi Sui Gong, is said to be practised by Taoists to improve their fertility

By Tiffany Lo For Mailonline
    PUBLISHED: 12:33 EDT, 3 April 2017 | UPDATED: 14:46 EDT, 3 April 2017

A Chinese kung fu expert has demonstrated the results of his hard training by pulling a row of cars with nothing but his testicles.

Ye Wei moved seven Audi cars using a rope attached to his genitals on March 30 in China's Shandong Province.

After moving the vehicles for eight metres (26ft), the 39-year-old successfully broke his personal record set last year which saw him pulling five cars.

Took some balls!: Man pulls fleet of cars with his testicles

Ye Wei managed to pull seven Audi cars, weighing 12.6 tonnes in total, for eight meters (26.4 ft)

Mr Ye's attempt last Thursday was recorded on a video, released by Pear Video, on March 31.

The videos shows Mr Ye tying a rope which connects to seven Audi cars to his testicles. A group of supporters gathered around Mr Ye to cheer for him as the event took place in Zibo city.

As a highly focused Mr Ye channelled his might through his genitals, the seven vehicles - with a combined weight of 12.6 tonnes - slowly moved forward.

The moved for eight metres (26.2 foot) before coming to a full stop.

Mr Ye claimed that the stunt he performed is called Xi Sui Gong or Xi Sui Technique. He said that the stunt is a wellness regime practised by Taoists to improve their fertility.

The man is also said to have invented a hybrid school of martial art, known as Tai Chi Zen, after combining Tai Chi and and Taoism wellness regimes.

Ye said he had practised the stunt for around 30 years and he treated it as a wellness regime

Onlookers and supporters cheered as Ye made the attempt to break his own record

Using a rope attached to his testicles, Ye pulled the row of Audi cars in front of his supporters

Mr Ye beat his own record of pulling five Audi cars last April, also in Zibo, Shandong Province.

After successfully completing the challenge, Mr Ye told a reporter from Pear Video that he had been practising kung fu for around 30 years and that he had worked as the principal for three martial arts schools.

The other types of martial arts Mr Ye practises are Hung Kuen and Shaolin Kuen. The man also claims to know Thai boxing.

Dr Chen Yu,Department of Urology at Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital told Apple Daily Taiwan in an interview: 'Xi Sui Gong' could help curing or prevent urinary incontinence as the exercise trains the pelvis and muscles around the thigh.'

He also added the action of stimulating the testicles can help problems of premature ejaculation and extend the endurance on sex performance.

However, there is also an effect of bending the ***** and skin peeling on the testicles.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jayanth Reddy

More on Reddy here, here and here.

Below is a link to a video that won't embed in our forum.
    Record Breaking Martial Artist Has World’s Fastest Punches
    BarcroftTVPublished: March 23, 2017 Updated: March 29, 2017 9,064 views Virality: 17%

MARTIAL arts grandmaster holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest punch - performing 352 in a minute. Jayanth Reddy from Hyderabad, India has been practicing martial arts for the past 40 years and is an 8th Dan (degree) black belt Taekwondo Grand Master. Jayanth himself holds 15 Guinness World Records and 8 US Presidential Sports Awards, including breaking 34 8x4 inch cement blocks with spinning cartwheel kicks in one minute and 171 double roundhouse kicks in 60 seconds. Jayanth has trained hundreds of thousands of students across the country and many of his students are record holders themselves.

Videographer / director: Chandra Sena
    Producer: Shatabdi Chakrabarti, Nick Johnson
    Editor: Sonia Estal
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CATCH! Anyone For Tennis?

Anthony Kelly - Martial Arts World Record Breaker
    deserves his own thread. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier because I know Anthony personally. I've poached all the posts above from the Martial Arts World Records and Stunts thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Most full-contact knee strikes achieved in one minute with one leg: 97 - Shi Miao Jin

Shaolin Temple warrior monk from India makes Guinness world record with his knee strikes
    Shifu Jin, one of only three Shaolin Temple warrior monks from India, recently made a Guinness world record for 'the most full-contact knee strikes achieved in one minute with one leg'. He claims to have trained more than 60,000 people from around the world.
    Mona Ramavat
    July 7, 2017 | UPDATED 17:01 IST

Shifu (master) Shi Miao Jin (pictured in orange)Shifu (master) Shi Miao Jin (pictured in orange)

Making and breaking records is an everyday affair for shifu (master) Shi Miao Jin (pictured below, in orange). Having already set 16 world records, shifu Jin recently set a new bar-and a Guinness world record-for 'the most full-contact knee strikes achieved in one minute with one leg': 97. However, what's even more surprising than his list of achievements is his birth name: Prabhakar Reddy.
    One of only three Shaolin Temple warrior monks from India, the 36-year-old Reddy, who claims to have trained more than 60,000 people from around the world at his Nellore, Andhra Pradesh-based kung fu academy, starts his work day at 3.30 am. His students range from a 65-year-old martial arts enthusiast to his five-year-old son, and include women looking to learn basic self-defence as well as advanced practitioners from Thailand. As for his own inspiration, he says he grew up admiring the skills of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, and had already earned a kung fu black belt at 16. "My endeavour now is to propel India ahead on the global martial arts map," he says.
    Shaolin Temple India meets Martial Arts World Records and Stunts
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips