Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jin Yong aka Louis Cha

Jin Yong aka Louis Cha

We really need a thread here on Jin Yong - I'm embarrassed that we haven't had one here yet beyond some side references - and here's a fine news piece to get it rolling.

From martial arts to monkeying around
    By Liu Wei (China Daily)
    Updated: 2008-11-25 07:59

Zhang Jizhong is taking a break from Louis Cha's wuxia novels - but this doesn't mean there's any let-up in his grueling routine.

After he has wrapped up the TV adaptation of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (Yitian Tulongji), 57-year-old Zhang will focus on the pre-production of a film trilogy on Monkey King (pictured), the main character in this ancient classic, Journey to the West (Xiyouji).

"It is hard for me to surpass the audience ratings and sales my wuxia series have created," he says.

"Journey to the West is an excellent platform for me to realize a long-held dream, to talk with the world about traditional Chinese culture. America does a good job in promoting its values through the entertainment industry, so why can't we when we have so many treasures?"

Zhang says he never worries about whether global audiences accept his stories.

Monkey King is a household name in China and even in other Asian countries like Japan and South Korea. His painful transformation from stone monkey to superhero, has a universal appeal, especially among youngsters, says Zhang.

"He pursues freedom, scorns authority and learns the importance of responsibility through pain, which is understandable to all people who have experienced youth," he says. "At the same time, the fighting between him and various monsters along the journey provides ample space for kungfu scenes."

On the other hand, the story is very Chinese. Buddhist thought is everywhere in the book, which recounts the journey of a team led by a monk.

"Everybody's life is like a journey, on which we encounter various hardships," Zhang says. "But what the book says is that the biggest monster is in one's own heart. That's very typical Buddhist philosophy."

The trilogy will cost $100 million for each instalment, a number that would scare most Chinese directors. The most expensive Chinese film so far has been John Woo's Red Cliff (Chibi), which cost $80 million.

But Zhang insists that the investment is justified in order to create a picture as splendid in audio and video effects as The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. He believes that only by making a film as grand as the top Hollywood blockbusters can it be a worldwide success.

The lavish project will kick off next year and Zhang already has bigger plans in mind.

A Monkey King theme park will follow the film if it is a hit. In the park's computer-generated future look are roller coasters, theaters, fireworks, waterfalls and huge statues of the monkey.

"This won't be a Chinese Disneyland. It will be a Chinese Monkey Kingdom," he says.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

funny you put this up gene i just cop'd(street lingo for bought) the three colume deer and the cauldron series. almost through with the first one its an amazing read. finally read book and the sword also good. but i like deer and cauldron alot because the main character is just a lucky ass scamp, so far he is a lazy martial artist who gets over with tricks, reminds me of the hobbit a bit.trying to look for more of his novels in english.

Wasn't the Deer and the Cauldron Jin Yong's last novel? Book and Sword is his first. So you've bookended the whole thing there doug!

The only thing I've read to completion is the short story Sword of the Yueh Maiden. Pretty good. Hoping to get around to reading The Book and the Sword soon, I downloaded it off a Vietnamese site. Interestingly, not illegal. The whole translation is also available on the translator's website for free.

I desperately want to read the Condor Heroes trilogy but there are no fan translations that are complete out there yet. Or at least, not edited and posted. I do know of some folks having completed the translations, they just aren't ready for wuxiapedia.com yet.

My wife may be starting a fan translation soon.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Of what? Condor Heroes?

Time consuming work translating, and for free no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Wasn't the Deer and the Cauldron Jin Yong's last novel? Book and Sword is his first. So you've bookended the whole thing there doug!

The only thing I've read to completion is the short story Sword of the Yueh Maiden. Pretty good. Hoping to get around to reading The Book and the Sword soon, I downloaded it off a Vietnamese site. Interestingly, not illegal. The whole translation is also available on the translator's website for free.

I desperately want to read the Condor Heroes trilogy but there are no fan translations that are complete out there yet. Or at least, not edited and posted. I do know of some folks having completed the translations, they just aren't ready for wuxiapedia.com yet.
    the book and the sword translation on the translators website, is missing whole giant junks of the story. purposely of course.

a contest

I debated about posting this on our Shaolin Haibao Shangahi World Expo thread or Kung Fu Restaurant thread.

Martial arts feast in Macau pavilion
    By Zha Minjie | 2010-2-28
    2010-2-9

THE internal design and fit out of the Macau Pavilion for World Expo will be unveiled by the end of March as construction of the building has been completed, Expo officials said in Macau yesterday.

The budget for construction and event exhibitions is "well under control," said Leong Pou Yee, director of the Office for Preparation of Macau's Participation in the Expo.

Statues of Expo mascot "Haibao" appeared at eight locations in Macau yesterday.

Leong said the internal features of the pavilion will be "kept secret" and visitors can explore "that kind of mystery on their own."

But she said traditional Chinese martial arts will play an important part as Macau is famous for kung fu.

She said kung fu will be combined with the martial arts works of Hong Kong writer Louis Cha, better known by his pen name Jin Yong.

Cha's fiction is popular in Chinese-speaking communities around the world, his 15 works earning him a reputation as one of the greatest martial arts writers.

Macau selected martial artists to play 10 popular characters from Cha's works and they will feature in a five-minute online film.

People can take part in an online guessing game to identify the artists at http://www.2010expomacao-vote.gov.mo. Winners stand to gain free Expo tickets and signed copies of Cha's works.

The film will also be played at a replica of Macau's 93-year-old Tak Seng On Pawnshop in the Expo Urban Best Practices Area.

The pawnshop closed in 1993 but the Macau government allocated 1.4 million patacas (US$175,300) to restore the old building in 2001, making it into a museum of the pawn industry which is closely tied with Macau's gambling industry.

The replica pawnshop will feature a library of Cha's works on its second floor.

"It has almost the same decorations as that in Macau," said Leong.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Of what? Condor Heroes?

Time consuming work translating, and for free no less.
    Tell me about it... she's finished less than a chapter so far.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

^Is she using any other fan translations to assist or just completely on her own? Quite a feat. Those are LOOOOONG books too.

Jin Yong videogame

It's wuxia videogames, based on Jin Yong. It came up in today's newsfeed, so I thought I'd post it here.

March 24, 2010
    TLBB Class Focus: The Shaolin

Among the classes in Jin Yongs novel, the Shaolin is one of the most ancient. The famous martial arts of the Shaolin monks have a long history. The Shaolins 72 advanced skills make them famous all around the world. In Jin Yong's Tian Long Ba Bu, the Shaolin become the first class in the martial arts world in China.

In the game, there are nine scenes for the Shaolin class, such as Daxiong Biaodian, Da Mo Yuan, Ta Lin and Cang Jing Ge. TLBB respects Jin Yongs novel, and demonstrates the novels original style. Every view has been carefully created as a unique feature demonstrating a world-known temple to players.

In the game, the architecture of the Shaolin Temple is a magnificent scene. The exquisite paintings fully embody the temple of Chinese ancient culture and art in a unique style.

300 pieces of ancient Chinese stone inscriptions are one of many treasures of the Shaolin temple. In the game, players can spot these treasures with historical marks.

There are lots of ancient pagodas around the Shaolin temple. They are part of the Pagoda Forest. The main pagoda is Monk Parinirvanas grave. Players can find these pagodas at the back of the Shaolin temple. If players look carefully, they may be able to find monk Sao Di and Xiao Yuan Shan

In TLBB, the Shaolins exclusive mounts are the Tiger and White Tiger. Shaolins subduing tigers is not groundless, as in ancient China, there were lots of ferocious tigers in the mountains. Shaolin monks often helped people escape from or kill tigers. Some monks were good at taming tigers; these tigers were then ridden as mounts. The Tiger is the first mount a Shaolin disciple will get. The White Tiger is for those who have attained a higher level and are able to tame it.

Selecting the Shaolin class will enable the player to experience extensive and profound Chinese culture and learn many features of Shaolin martial arts.

With the outstanding defensive skill and Buddha skill, Shaolin becomes the most reliable partner (comrade). This class is suitable for players who like first-line action!

Weapon Type: Spear & Falchion
    Slogan: Avoid, rather than check. Check, rather than hurt. Hurt, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. For all life is precious, and none can be replaced.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've heard about a TLBB based video game... is it available in NA yet?
    Simon McNeil

now that's some fanboys

Who reads all of Cha's works just to document all the different herbs?
    Herbs spice up kung fu author's show
    Thursday, April 29, 2010

Readers of kung fu novels by maestro Louis Cha Leung-yung always get insights into not only intricate martial art moves but also knowledge of herbs.

So his fans will be delighted that his best-selling novels - which also have romantic plots - and some of the 148 herbs mentioned in his stories will go on show from today.

Books by Cha, pictured, who is known to fans by his pen names Jin-yong and Kam-yung, are an encyclopedia of Chinese culture rather than mere kung fu novels, said Li Siqi, chairman of the International Jin Yong Research Academy at the University of Hong Kong.

Also on display are water-color paintings by Lee Chi-ching, who produced cover paintings for Cha's novels.

The exhibition at Wonderful World ends after the May Day Golden Week holiday.
    Meanwhile on a more appropriate front:
    Martial arts novelist Louis Cha awarded HK top arts honor
    English.news.cn 2010-04-28 08:34:58

HONG KONG, April 27 (Xinhua) -- Prolific Chinese martial arts novelist Louis Cha, better known by his pen name Jin Yong, on Tuesday received the Life Achievement Award of Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2009 in recognition of his achievements and contributions to local culture and arts.

Hengry Tang, Acting Chief Executive of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, presented the award to the world renowned Chinese writer.

Born in east China's Zhejiang province and carving out most of his career in Hong Kong, 86-year-old Cha is one of the most influential modern Chinese-language novelists.

Cha's wuxia fiction, or martial arts stories, has a widespread followers in Chinese-speaking areas, with numerous adaptations into films, television series, plays, comics and video games, said Tang.

It is estimated that his novels have sold more than 500 million copies worldwide, earned him the reputation of a top Chinese best- selling writer alive.

Cha's works have been translated into Korean, English, Japanese, French, Vietnamese, Indonesian and several other languages. He had a lot of fans at home and abroad.

Cha also co-founded the Hong Kong daily newspaper Ming Pao in 1959 and has been a prominent figure in the press and social politics. In recent yeas, he is also actively involved in research and teaching.

The Hong Kong Arts Development Council on Tuesday presented awards to over 30 local artists, arts organizations, schools in recognition of their support and contribution to the arts development in Hong Kong.

Ma Fung-kwok, Chairman of the council, said the sound development of arts and culture in Hong Kong over the past decades owed to the tireless efforts of the local artists.

The Arts Development Awards 2009 also included awards for young artists, best artist, arts education, arts promotion and arts sponsorship.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jin Yong

Here is a clip from an adaptation of the TV series "Laughing in the Wind" which is base on one of Jin Yong's novels.
    I play Qu Yang of the Sun Moon Cult. There's a short view of me back stage if you look carefully.

http://www.sinovision.net/index.php?...3980&nocache=1
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Opera

This could go in martial arts for live theater too.
    Famed Jing Yong’s martial arts novel adapted for opera
    By Yali Chen
    Taiwan News, Staff Reporter
    2011-01-11 04:48 PM

Performers in front of three posters for a new martial arts opera, Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber, which will be given January 22-23 at the National Concert Hall in Taipei. (Photo Courtesy of Taipei Philharmonic Opera Studio)

A famed Chinese martial arts novel Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber by Hong Kong-based writer Jing Yong has been adapted for an opera by the Taipei Philharmonic Opera Studio.

Cha Leung-yung, whose pseudonym is “Jing Yong,” is a popular novelist and has published fifteen books. He and his friend Shen Pao Sing founded the Chinese-language newspaper Ming Pao in Hong Kong on May 20, 1959. Most of his novels first ran in that popular paper and then have been adapted for films, television serials and radio programs.

"Our new production tried to combine kung fu from the Eastern society and opera from the Western,” said the opera’s director Cheng Chih-wen -- a big fan of the novelist’s works since childhood.

Unlike special effects or stunts in kung fu movies, music will feature in the whole production because performers are fighting on stage by “singing,” he added.

Chiu Chun-chiang, the studio’s music director and conductor, spent about three weeks in the opera’s repertoire. He chose pieces from Giacomo Puccini’s Turandot, Giuseppe Verdi’s La Forza del Destino, Charles Gound’s Faust, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Abduction from the Seraglio and Leo Delibes’ Lakme.

The performers include coloratura soprano Chiang Chi-chen, dramatic baritone Kung Hsiao-cheng and lyric tenor Huang Ya-chung.

A big fan of Jing Yong’s martial arts novels, Chiu said he was unsatisfied with most adapted kung fu films because they had not conveyed the true spirit of the original novels. With a touch of irony, the Proud, Smiling Wanderer implies that the world is filled with hypocrites.

"But through this new martial arts opera, local audiences can enjoy the novelist’s originality with our artistic creativity,” he said, adding his childhood dream finally came true due to that opera.

The performances will be given January 22-23 at the National Concert Hall in Taipei. Tickets are now available at http://www.artsticket.com.tw
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm reading a fan translation of Legend of the Condor Heroes on my Kindle. Stoked!