Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Home Weight Training Program?

Good Home Weight Training Program?

So im wanting to get a good program for myself for weight training at home.

I've never been into weight training really other than a stint in high school. But now im starting to dig it. I dont really remember much from high school though since that was about 12 years ago.

I've got myself a bench and some dumbells and a crap load of weights. Ive been watching things on youtube. getting some tips from a few buddies, and looking at pictures for form and such.

I just dont really have any idea on how to formulate a good program for myself as a beginner.

I'm hoping you jovial KFM guys can help me out/point me in the right direction.

I know a few of you guys are big on weight training.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

step 1: fabricate yourself a place to squat and deadlift. no program is complete with these two lifts. espeically squat. some might say especially deadlift, but those people are ass.holes.
    where's my beer?

Ive been doing squats, curls, bench press, leg raise? (the thing on the end of the bench for your legs) front and back.

I still do my standard kungfu routine first. stretches, cardio, pushups/situps/pullups. but now im looking into getting myself some additional strength training through free weights.

I do live alone and will be lifting alone.

So for right now, im keeping the weight light enough so that I dont feel endangered.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    step 1: fabricate yourself a place to squat and deadlift. no program is complete with these two lifts. espeically squat. some might say especially deadlift, but those people are ass.holes.
    lol. whats the best way to do this. right now all i have is a wall.

my living room is just a work out area for me so i have plenty of room. only my heavy bag, weights and other various tools.

I would highly recommend picking up The New Rules of Lifting. It is a great set of programs for various needs/goals.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I would highly recommend picking up The New Rules of Lifting. It is a great set of programs for various needs/goals.
    sweet ill check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    Oh yes, yes, YES!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Ive been doing squats, curls, bench press, leg raise? (the thing on the end of the bench for your legs) front and back.
    IMHO you can ignore curls, leg raises. Swap some kind of pullup or chinup for curls, use weights if they're too easy. I do front pullups and hang weights off a simple looped rope arrangement around my waist. Leg raises you'll get better benefits from squats and DL. Basically you want to do compound exercises instead of isolation exercises unless you have reason to want to target a specific weakness.

DL you don't need any special equipment apart from your heavy bar. Squats you'll need some kind or rack preferably with a decent safety bar setup since you're lifting alone. I use a power rack, which is perfect but costs a bit and needs some space.

For these compound lifts a good bar is worthwhile. I definitely prefer Olympic weights (for 2" collars) over standard ones.

Starting light is a good thing. Form really makes a big difference in compound lifts. It took me at least a couple of years to really peak, lifting over 250 days a year. Getting the form spot on can make a 50lb difference at a given strength level I reckon.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

FYI, the NROL book I recommended is completely based around squats and deadlifts and to a lesser extent, lunges. It will kick your butt.

So im wanting to get a good program for myself for weight training at home.

I've never been into weight training really other than a stint in high school. But now im starting to dig it. I dont really remember much from high school though since that was about 12 years ago.

I've got myself a bench and some dumbells and a crap load of weights. Ive been watching things on youtube. getting some tips from a few buddies, and looking at pictures for form and such.

I just dont really have any idea on how to formulate a good program for myself as a beginner.

I'm hoping you jovial KFM guys can help me out/point me in the right direction.

I know a few of you guys are big on weight training.
    How much $$$ are you willing to invest?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Toby: Thanks for the advice. I can use any you guys are willing to dish out

Sanjuro: At this very moment, not much. I just bought a new heavy bag, weight bench, weights and a big screen TV. lol

I know the TV wont help much, but it makes all the hot chicks even larger = motivation

But once my finances recoup a bit and the season is over, i'll be willing to spend some cash.

Hmmm, investing in a "dipping" belt would be good, so you can add weight to your chins/pullups even if you don't do dips.

Typically, you wanna do:
    Squats ( lower body and core)
    A upper body pulling exercise such as chins or pull-ups.
    Deadlifts are great and if you can't do them, do bent-over rows, make sure you keep the knees slightly bent and look forward, not down.
    An upper body pushing exercise, such as a standing over head press or military press, don't go behind the neck and do it standing to hit the core of your body.
    You can do the standing overhead press with DB instead of a Barbell.
    When you build a good solid core of strength exercises and get to some nice numbers, you shoudl get some coaching and add olympic lifts. start light and work on technique.

In reality you don't really need to do anything other than:
    Squats
    Chins/pull ups
    standing Overhead presses

Those 3 hit pretty much everything you need to hit.

good deal. thanks for the info man.

ill look into that belt.

the only thing im afraid of is that i do pullups/chinups with one of those door frame attachment things, and im already afraid im gonna break the frame lol.

i slowly let my weight settle onto the bar then do my pulling very steadily and smothly so i dont jostle the frame.

maybe ill have a heavier friend try the frame and see if it holds him.

sooo, then did i waste my money buying the bench?

fortunately youtube can help me with my form lol

good deal. thanks for the info man.

ill look into that belt.

the only thing im afraid of is that i do pullups/chinups with one of those door frame attachment things, and im already afraid im gonna break the frame lol.

i slowly let my weight settle onto the bar then do my pulling very steadily and smothly so i dont jostle the frame.

maybe ill have a heavier friend try the frame and see if it holds him.

sooo, then did i waste my money buying the bench?
    I've never been a big fan of benching and I used to bench over the 300 mark.
    Weighted dips are far better in my view.
    In terms of a "pushing "exercise, I think overheads are the way to go.
    If you can't chin/pull up, do Dead lifts and/ or bent-over rows.
    The issue with Bent-overs is the stress on your back, but if you watch the form, build up and not go to heavy to soon, look straight and keep a slight bend in the knees, you should be fine.