Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Home Weight Training Program?

sweet. i was having a problem picturing this and for some reason google wasnt giving me the answers i needed.

that gif works perfectly.

so for weights i could just hold some dumbells.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

being a noob is totally awesome. im planning on getting some real effects out of this noob ****
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    being a noob is totally awesome. im planning on getting some real effects out of this noob ****
    yeah . . . settin 3 - 5 prs every workout is ****ign sweet.

it tapers off after a while - my last deadlift pr was the first in a little over a year.
    where's my beer?

You can also check out: http://stronglifts.com/

It's pretty much the same program already been mentioned by GDA . There's lots of good info on nutrition and tips on proper form as well.

do you guys prefer the incline or military press?

incline just seems to be in between standard bench and military, would I be better of with one or the other or are they basically the same as far as the muscle groups and how they are going to be worked.

incline just seems to be in between standard bench and military, would I be better of with one or the other or are they basically the same as far as the muscle groups and how they are going to be worked.
    The military press is going to focus mainly on your deltoids (while also engaging your pecs, triceps, traps) and the incline press puts the focus on your pecs (while engaging your deltoids and triceps).

I prefer whichever one the current phase of my program tells me to use.

How many times in the day do you incline press something?
    How many times do you lift something over your head?
    More often than not, over head is used more than incline pressing.
    So...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    The military press is going to focus mainly on your deltoids (while also engaging your pecs, triceps, traps) and the incline press puts the focus on your pecs (while engaging your deltoids and triceps).

I prefer whichever one the current phase of my program tells me to use.
    cool. im supposed to do one or the other.

im thinking i may just alternate then or add one or the other to another day.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    How many times in the day do you incline press something?
    How many times do you lift something over your head?
    More often than not, over head is used more than incline pressing.
    So...
    TBH, I lift things at an angle over my head far more than lifting straight over my head... putting things on shelves, taking them off again, in luggage compartments etc. So your question is right, but your answer seems wrong!

Although the incline press doesn't mimic the gravity of the situation.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

another noob question:

why, on deadlifts, do i see some guys with alternating grips and some with only forward grips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

that's the very reason the motions you described are closer to a military / overhead press, than an incline. you're still lifting objects from a standing position . .. often overhead.

both overheads and inclines are great exercises, but if i could only do one i'd pick overheads. id swap flat bench for incline before overheads. unless of course i was limited on time and really wanted to focus that t!tty burn . . . but that would be more of a bodybuilding goal. if your going for strength, and already doing flat benches, id go with overheads.

im thinking i may just alternate then or add one or the other to another day
    i think you'll find that you'll get better gains by sticking with one or the other for a while before switching it up. say 6 weeks or so. swapping out every other workout may or may not be something that advanced bodybuilders do, but general athletes and powerlifters are better to stick with improving one movement for a few weeks. thats not to say you couldnt do both - but i wouldn't go back and forth. westside programs have the athlete switching more frequently to avoid burn out from all the max effort days, but that's a whole different can of worms.

why, on deadlifts, do i see some guys with alternating grips and some with only forward grips?
    you should use both. use a double overhand grip until your grip starts to fail - then switch to an alternating grip when it gets heavy. i do my warm up sets with double overhand for as long as possible, but when i get somewhere between 75 - 85% i have to switch to an alternate grip.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    TBH, I lift things at an angle over my head far more than lifting straight over my head... putting things on shelves, taking them off again, in luggage compartments etc. So your question is right, but your answer seems wrong!

GDA answerd that for me.

Doh!

I started with the inclines, because my bench does that so its easier to do with more weight than the overheads by myself. i guess ill just stick with those for now.

ya the grip thing made a lot more sense once i got into it.

i think im getting addicted already. too bad i didnt get into this in my early 20s. but at least hill be hittin it before my 30s roll up on me next year.

Doh!

I started with the inclines, because my bench does that so its easier to do with more weight than the overheads by myself. i guess ill just stick with those for now.

ya the grip thing made a lot more sense once i got into it.

i think im getting addicted already. too bad i didnt get into this in my early 20s. but at least hill be hittin it before my 30s roll up on me next year.
    Strength tends to peak in your 30's by the way....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Strength tends to peak in your 30's by the way....
    ya thats what i was refering too. at least i got on board before my peak. i want my peak to be worth it.