Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chandni Chowk goes to China

Chandni Chowk goes to China

I've been following this film on our Bollywood thread since May of this year. I was just watching some DirectTV from India at lunch at an Indian restaurant next to Naz Theater, and caught a news item on this flick. Deepika was breaking a board in a long black evening gown. It made me realize that CCgtC really deserves its own thread. There's a few odd posts about it on the Bollywood thread, but we'll post the new stuff here.

China's veteran SHAOLIN star in CHANDNI CHOWK...
    November 18, 2008 6:38:06 PM IST

Nikhil Advani's next film after SALAAM–E–ISHQ, the Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone starrer, CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA, has been in the news for a while now. From the atrociously high prices that the film is commanding to the Deepika's double role, it has been a favourite with the press and the print media.

However there is one aspect of the film that not many have touched upon. It's the legendery Shaolin Temple connections!

Well, as we all know that the film has been extensively shot in China and that Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone have performed some death defying stunts and we are not here to tell you that. Actually we want to tell you about Gordon Liu, a very famous, Chinese martial art film actor.

Those who have an interest in Hollywood and Chinese films will remember Gordon for his stupendous performances in the award winning KILL BILL series (1 and 2). Apart from that martial arts based film enthusiasts who have relished SHAOLIN series and especially THE 36th CHAMBER OF SHOALIN, will always remember Gordon Liu as San Te or 'Master Killer' for his deadly martial arts prowess.

Here's looking forward to the 'Master Killer' and Khiladi duel on 16th January 2009!
    I'm the next female Akshay Kumar: Deepika
    TimePublished on Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 21:58, Updated on Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:06 in Entertainment section

MTV Roadies is back with a bigger better and more adventurous journey in its sixth season, Roadies — Hell Down Under is gearing for a ride to Australia with 20 roadies and a price money of Rs 10,00,000.

And while the show has tied up with Rohan Sippy's Chandani Chowk To China ,it was Deepika Padukone who seemed to be going the Roadies way by doing some action in the film.

Deepika was all praises for the stunts she's done in the film.

"I'm sure I have gone through a lot of death defying action in the film. But I was prepared for it when I signed the film," she said.

Sporting a new look Deepika also shared her moment of action with Khiladi Kumar and learnt a few tricks for survival as well.

"Akshay taught me lots of action. He said that action is like dancing so you have to be very graceful while doing it," she said.

"I like to believe that main next female Akshay Kumkar hoon (I'm the nest female Akshay Kumar)" she added.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This is a little dated...

...but its a Reuters video.

This is from an unofficial Deepika site. Definitely check out the galleria for a glimpse at Deepika's 'hunches'.
    Deepika says 'Ouch!'
    3 Nov 2008 - 265 Views - admin - dna
    Deepika Padukone's sprained ankle is not going to heal anytime soon. The star had twisted her ankle while doing a martial art stunt for her forthcoming flick with Akshay Kumar, Chandni Chowk to China.

"The stunts in Chandni Chowk To China were tough. Fortunately, I got no broken bones. But I got a twisted ankle which will remain with me. My left ankle will remain sprained for all my life," rues Dipika.

The actor says that its an old injury that has got flared up again during shooting. The sprain has become so bad now that Deepika says that she won't be able to sit cross-legged anytime soon.

"I sprained it once while rehearsing and then I sprained the same ankle at exactly the same place twice again. Luckily its not a fracture. But I can't sit cross-legged or sit on my hunches ... I can't do anything that requires me to put my weight on my left leg," she adds.

Being from an athletic family, Deepika says that she always wanted to do an action film in spite of the fact that it is tough on your body particularly if you are accident prone.

"Yes, I always wanted to do an action character. I'm glad I got an opportunity. Akshay Kumar was a fantastic co-star. The way he comes on the sets and goes through the scenes of the day and the way he improvises, is tremendous."

Deepika says she wants to do a sports-based film, preferably on badminton, her fathers sport. "Look at what Chak De India did to hockey. I would love to do a really good film on the game of badminton. In fact, efforts are on to put a project like this together. I would like to contribute as much as possible to sports. Yes, I'd support badminton more than any other sport. But I'd like to support Indian sports in every way possible," says Deepika.

According to her, being a sportsperson, the first thing that one learns is effective time management. "I started travelling at a very young age. That taught me to be punctual," she ends.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This thread needs an official website

CC2C

Watch the trailer. Play the game.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Akshay and Deepika

A nice overview of who Akshay is.

Akshay on an action spree

Akshay Kumar the 'Khiladi' in Bollywood was well known for his string of hits. He carried on the action hero image for almost a decade, but once it started getting monotonous for the audiences, he reinvented his image as a comic actor, which worked wonders for him in Bollywood

After the release of Hera Pheri in 2000, Akshay became more popular as a comedy hero, he then starred in a number of comedy films, like Awara Paagal Deewana (2002), Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004) and Garam Masala (2005), which succeeded at the box office. In 2006, he starred in a sequel to Hera Pheri titled Phir Hera Pheri that was a huge success. He continued to experiment with roles playing the shy guy in Jaan-E-Mann and a stage actor in Bhagam Bhag.

Namastey London opposite Katrina Kaif, a pair that would prove to be super-popular won him a Best Actor nomination at Filmfare. His next release was Heyy Babyy by debut director Sajid Khan—the surprise hot of the year. Bhool Bhulaiyaa, a comedy combined horror film had him play a renowned doctor. Welcome, starring Akshay opposite Katrina Kaif again, was the big super-success of the year Then came Tashan which flopped miserably, though Akshay's performance as Bachchan Pande was hugely entertaining. But he made up lost ground with his second release, Singh is Kinng. The film has become a huge hit and broke all records. The coming year 2009 is going to be an action packed year for him with his string of releases coming up.

Chandni Chowk to China - The film is the first Bollywood film to be shot in China. Directed by Nikhil Advani. It is produced by Rohan Sippy and Warner Brothers. It is said to be semi- autobiographical film portraying actor Akshay Kumar's life. In this film Akki has done numerous stunts making use of his training in martial arts. A scene on the Great Wall of China was captured.

Khambaqt Ishq - directed by Sabir Khan and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala. Hollywood actor Sylvester Stallone will be appearing in cameo, reportedly playing himself. Kareena Kapoor was signed on to play the female lead. Akshay is playing a stuntman to Hollywood actors like Sylvester Stallone. He is said to have performed various stunts within the film as he goes about protecting his boss.

Blue - Is an action film that shot mostly underwater. In this film Akshay Kumar has done stunts with sharks. The film has been shot extensively in Bahamas and Bangkok.

Eight by Ten - It's a thriller directed by Nagesh Kukunoor. In this film Akshay has an extraordinary super power that allows him to predict the future of any person. He can actually see when that person can die. Last month in Cape Town, Akshay shot several scenes that involved jumping down a mountain valley. Ayesha Takia is cast opposite Akki in this film.
    And here's another on Deepika.

Deepika goes the Akki way
    11/26/2008 1:26:55 PM

Bollywood Siren Deepika Padukone perform,s death defying stunts in her latest film ... says she is the female Akshay Kumar.

Actress Deepika Padukone gears up for some death defying action stunts in her forthcoming film Chandni Chowk to China... in which she is paired opposite Akshay Kumar

Deepika, " Yes I am the female Akshay kumar of the industry". Now thats a bold statement to make for a yet to be established actor Deepika Padukone but before you jump to any conclusion, Deepika is plainly in awe of the superstar Akshay Kumar so much so that she did't think twice before making the comparison.

"I am the female Akshay Kumar of the industry".

Looks like this dimpled beauty has some heavy duty action up her sleeve, and why shouldn't she, as Deepika is all set to display some death defying stunts with Akshay in her forthcoming flick "Chandni Chowk To China".

When you are in front of akshay you dont have an option but to perform those stunts. Deepika, " Akshay and I have a very interesting fight scene, and I'm really looking forward to that, I haven't seen it myself, but I've actually learnt a lot fom him, because he is someone who has done a lot of action before, and he taught me that action is not about tensing your body and being all aggresive, it's about treating it like a dance and being graceful, and I think we've done a wonderful fight sequence together". "In this life there is only once that you can get to perform an action sequence with Akshay and i have had that oppertunity", Deepika added.

So that's yet another lady who's fallen victim to Akshay's irrestible charm, so after Shah-Rukh Khan, Does mentor spell Akshay for her ?

Deepika, "I think both of them are kings in their own right, I think both are extremely hard working, they've been around in the industry for over 15 years. For me it's not even a year, so I can't really comment on that".

Well well ... miss Deepika seems to have learnt the tricks of this tricky trade much faster than her art...!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More and more buzz

Deepika Padukone was trained in wushu by who?

'Chandni Chowk To China' starring Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone: First Trailer
    Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 (EST)
    'Chandni Chowk to China', Bollywood's first film shot in China, headlines Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone with Bollywood veteran Mithun Chakraborty and Hong Kong veteran Gordon Liu playing important roles.

'Chandni Chowk to China', Bollywood's first film shot in China, headlines Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone with Bollywood veteran Mithun Chakraborty and Hong Kong veteran Gordon Liu playing important roles. Photo Credit: Warner Bros.

December 05, 2008, (Sawf News) - IChandni Chowk to China, Bollywood's first film shot in China, headlines Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone with Bollywood veteran Mithun Chakraborty and Hong Kong veteran Gordon Liu playing important roles.

The Nikhil Advani helmed and Shridhar Raghavan penned action comedy is due for release on January 16, 2009.

The trailer actually shows Deepika more in action than Akshay. Scenes of Akshay show him in his best comic act. The sets look cool.

It is Warner Bros. Pictures' second Bollywood film after Saas Bahu aur Sensex (2008).

The $12 million budget film, loosely based on Akshay Kumar's life, is the story of a humble chef from Chandni Chowk, Delhi mistaken for the reincarnation of an ancient Chinese warrior by the villagers of an oppressed Chinese village.

Deepika Padukone plays double role of a Chinese woman and an Indian woman in the film.

From the hustle-bustle of Chandni Chowk to the hutongs of Beijing, the electric energy of Shanghai and sheer breathtaking Chinese landscapes, Chandni Chowk To China chronicles the lunatic adventures of a hapless simpleton cook, Sidhu (Akshay Kumar) from Delhi. As he goes to seek his destiny, he finds himself thrown into a crazy world of megalomaniac villains, femme fatales, crazy inventors, Chinese mysticism and outlandish kung-fu assassins!

The first ever Bollywood Kungfu comedy takes you on a madcap Journey from the by-lanes of Chandni Chowk in Delhi, to Shanghai, the Great Wall and rural China, marrying in its wake hilarious gags, breathtaking action, spectacular locations, and heart stirring emotions.

Film's protagonist Sidhu (Akshay Kumar) is the lowest on the totem pole, cutting vegetables at a roadside food stall in Chandni Chowk in Delhi. He longs to escape his dreary existence and looks for shortcuts- with astrologers, tarot readers and fake fakirs - believing anything except himself, despite his father figure Dada's (Mithun Chakraborty) best efforts. His redeeming moment arrives when two strangers from China claim him as a reincarnation of a war hero in the past and take him to China. Sidhu now dreams of wine, women, and a princely existence in foreign lands. Thanks to the devious translator, a conman by the name Chopstick (Ranvir Shorey), little does he know that he is being taken to the Promised Land to rid the Chinese village of the vicious smuggler Hojo (Gordon Liu)!

Therefore, Sidhu blissfully sets forth to China with Chopstick who instigates dreams of a delicious future and forgets to reveal the perils, which await him. Along the way, he meets Sakhi (Deepika Padukone), Ms. Tele Shoppers Media (Ms. TSM) who has embarked on a journey to pay homage to the land of her birth and her dead father and twin. Initially, Sidhu through a series of lucky coincidences manages to sidestep being beaten by Hojo's men but finally Hojo catches up with him and exposes him as the country buffoon that he really is. Sidhu has the fire of revenge in his belly and finds the one man who will make him a Kungfu expert and set the village free. Armed with his Sifu (master), faith in himself and the love of the fair Sakhi, Sidhu sets forth to conquer all!

Akshay Kumar has sung an entire song in the film, Chandni Chowk to China...Chandni Chowk se aayaa yeh ladka, with pop group Rhythm Dhol Bass.

The music has been given by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Kailash Kher and Bappi Lahiri. Music is in stores now.

Costumes are designed by Jaimal Odedra.

Akshay Kumar trained in parkour for six months under trainer Daniel from Liverpool to become adept at the martial art. Parkour, or l'art du déplacement, is a discipline founded by David Belle in France that lets you move from one point to the other with maximum efficiency in an emergency, overcoming any obstacles in your path such as branches, rocks, rails and concrete walls.

Akshay and Deepika Padukone, also trained in Wushu, a Chinese martial arts form that also stresses on self defense but through fighting.
    Bollywood goes kung fu
    6/12/2008

GET ready to be chow’d away by the spicy infusion of Bollywood and martial arts in Akshay Kumar's latest movie.

Co-produced and released by Warner Bros. Pictures, Chandni Chowk to China is one man’s journey from simple cook to kung fu fighter.

It is the first-ever Bollywood kung fu comedy that highlights the amalgamation of cultures of Asia’s biggest superpowers, China and India.

The film takes you on an unforgettable journey through the historic alleys of Chandni Chowk to the grandeur of the Great Wall of China with bouts of laughter, breathtaking action, spectacular locations and heart-stirring emotions.

Directed by Nikhil Advani (Kal Ho Na Ho) and starring the heartthrob of Indian cinema and current reigning king of Bollywood, Akshay Kumar, with Deepika Padukone playing his romantic interest in the film, Chandni Chowk To China also stars Bollywood veteran Mithun Chakraborty and Chinese martial arts expert and actor Gordon Liu (Kill Bill Volume One and Two).

The film parallels Akshay Kumar’s own journey to Bollywood fame – Kumar worked in a restaurant as a cook before pursuing his passion for martial arts, in which he is an expert.

Kung Fu lovers can also eat their heart out with stunts from veteran stunt director Huen Chiu Ku, whose credits include Oscar winner Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Matrix (2 and 3), The Forbidden Kingdom, Lethal Weapon 4 and The Mummy.

Chandni Chowk to China is Warner Bros. Pictures’ first Bollywood production.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

chadni chwok to china

ok i'm not a big bollywood fan, so i havent said word one about this film, but warners is putting alot of cash in this thing and it is being premiered world wide on jan.16 so i waited and waited and now the trailer is finally here and i gotta say i cant wait to see it the kung fu looks good, it has the typical bollywood dancing and stuff like that but it looks funny as all hell.

I'm all over this movie.

I love Bollywood. I love Kung Fu flicks. I think anyone watching world cinema can see this match up has tremendous potential. That's the underlying topic of our Bollywood Kung Fu thread. The best part of Myth was the India portion. Jackie was totally dialed in on that. I was in India in '97, and Jackie was huge there then, so it's a massive untapped market. And Jack Tu tipped us off that one of Jackie's next projects is a Bollywood effort.

With CC2C, I'm hoping for over-the-top groundbreaking cheesiness, ala Shaolin Soccer.

Fighting with Gordon Liu was a tough task: Akshay Kumar
    IANS | Wednesday, 10 December , 2008, 11:24

Akshay Kumar got to do some heady action sequences in Nikhil Advani's forthcoming From Chandni Chowk To China, but the action hero says fighting with Chinese martial arts master Gordon Liu was the toughest part of the film.

"I have watched 36 Chambers of Shaolin 52 times before doing the film. Doing action for it and fighting with the Chinese masters, particularly Sir Gordon Liu, was the most difficult in the movie," said Akshay.

Gordon Liu is known for his acts in Hollywood films like the Kill Bill series and the Shaolin series, including 36 Chambers of Shaolin.

In Chandni Chowk To China, Akshay plays a simple cook from Delhi who goes to China to try his luck there. "Getting into the character was not difficult as I have been a cook in my real life, but shooting for the movie has been a difficult experience," Akshay told reporters at the film's music release.

"We have shot at the Great Wall of China and shooting there in extreme cold conditions was quite tough," he said. The film, which has been shot in China and Bangkok, also stars Deepika Padukone in a double role.

"Playing two different characters was quite challenging for me as they are so contrasting in nature," said Deepika, who played a double role in her debut film Om Shanti Om as well.

"One is an Indian girl with traditional values and the other a Chinese girl, who is bold and sexy and does a lot of action," she added.

"I had to go for a complete look change for both the roles, which made things quite difficult for me. Besides, doing an action film with someone like Akshay Kumar is quite challenging," said Deepika.

Also present at the music launch were director Nikhil Advani and actor Ranvir Shorey. From Chandni Chowk To China will hit theatres on January 16, 2009.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3 million downloads

I don't see it on the top of the Warner Brothers site right now - maybe it's some other WB site...

Chandni Chowk To China in great demand
    By: Joginder Tuteja, Glamsham

Though the debates are on around the box office outcome of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, another film which is continuing to earn audience for itself is Chandni Chowk To China. The film would be released in a little over a month from now (16th January 2008) but in the interim it has managed to create quite a sizeable population for itself which is waiting to catch the film with a bated breath.

While the music of the film was released in the middle of last week, a little before that the theatrical promo was unveiled. The response that this initiative generated has been beyond the expectations of even the makers of the film, as can be judged by the statistics that reveal that more than 3 million downloads of the film's promos have already been made from the websites. Now that's an unheard of number, especially for a mainstream film which in fact is being promoted as an international venture by its backers Warner Bros.

In fact if one goes to the site, it is seen that Chandni Chowk To China has been positioned quite prominently with it's logo appearing first, hence edging out numerous international projects that are being backed by Warner Bros.

Says an official from Warner Bros., "The response that we have fetched it unprecedented. Moreover, if one looks at the fact that this is a foreign language film for us, we are truly amazed at the reach that Chandni Chowk To China has generated."

With the response to the promo being huge and Akshay Kumar's popularity riding high, especially during last 3 years, Warner Bros. has confirmed big plans for the film's release. "We are certain about releasing CC2C on 1400 odd screens just in India. In USA, it will be the hugest release ever for Akshay. We would also be holding the film's premier across the globe. CC2C will certainly redefine what BIG stands for", says the official in a confident tone.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lame Bollywood article

"the main character feels like a loser who must fulfill his destiny by rising to an occasion and fighting" can describe a bazillion martial arts flicks in the wake of Karate Kid. This broaches that delicate subject of cross-cultural marketing. I've seen a few Bollywood martial arts flicks. Bollywood has seen a lot of Chinese kung fu flicks too. Jackie is huge in Bollywood, just like Spinal Tap is huge in Japan. But Bollywood hasn't been able to make a really good kung fu flick yet, at least none that I've seen. So will CC2C be for Indians, Chinese or the West? That's the key question.

Chandni Chowk To China a copycat?

Akshay Kumar starrer Chandni Chowk To China (CCTC) is said to be inspired by Hollywood's animated blockbuster Kung Fu Panda (KFP).

According to sources,"In both the films the main character feels like a loser who must fulfill his destiny by rising to an occasion and fighting the demons who want to destroy the empire. CCTC is actually KFP meets Bollywood."

A few similarities seen in both the films are that in Kung Fu Panda the main character is a panda and is voiced by Jack Black who is a cook. In Chandni Chowk to China the main character is Akshay who is a cook himself, and his name is Sidhu. In KFP, Po leaves his hometown to fulfill his dreams while in Chandni Chowk To China Sidhu leaves Delhi to go to China to fulfill his dreams. After leaving home they both tend to overcome their weakness and learn martial arts on reaching their destinations. Both the movies are based in China with Kung Fu
    and royalty.

It's also said that the potato slicing scene which is shown in the promos of Chandni Chowk To China is also similar to a scene in KFP where Po is shown slicing vegetables. The only uncommon factor in both these films is that Chandni Chowk To China is a live action film and has a heroine who is paired opposite Akki while KFP was an animated flick without any love angle to it.

When asked the producer Rohan Sippy about the similarities between both the films he said that he had not seen KFP but as per the stories he has heard there seem to be a few similarities. But he also said that Chandni Chowk To China was written three years back and the story is based on modern day China so it's just a matter of co-incidence that so many similarities have cropped up.

The director of the film Nikhil Advani was not around for any comments.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So will CC2C be for Indians, Chinese or the West? That's the key question.
    You bring up a good point Gene -- look at some of the Stephen Chow flicks -- I think some (not all) of the humor went over the heads of Western audiences. If you're at all familiar with Bollywood, then a lot of the cinematic devices will be familiar (for instance, the dance numbers) but will the American masses appreciate and embrace it? I suppose time will tell. Granted, the film can still be a hit if it brings in numbers overseas, and with it's potential to cross-over to the above mentioned demographics, I don't see how it won't at least make a fairly substantial profit. But will it be more than a ripple in the cinematic world? It will be interesting to see if it sparks similar types of movies.

I will definitely be checking it out as it looks promising, but I'm not getting my hopes too high either. Obviously Gordon Liu's presence is a huge plus for Shaw Bro fans. To me, this movie is looking to be some sort of mash-up of Borat & Kung Fu Hustle
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

next week

I'm bummed that I haven't heard of any local screenings...
    Seven premieres for 'Chandni Chowk To China'
    By ApunKaChoice
    Mon, Jan 05, 2009 11:10 IST

Akshay Kumar Seven is a lucky number for Akshay Kumar and the actor is making sure that his upcoming film Chandni Chowk To China has seven premieres in different parts of the world.

2009 is set to begin with a bang. Come Jan 16, Akki’s much-talked-about, semi-autobiographical comic caper ‘CC2C’ will hit the marquee. The film’s producers, the Sippys, along with director Nikhil Advani and the leading man Akshay are making sure that the movie gets worldwide publicity ahead of its release.

So seven premieres of the film have been planned; the first premiere will be held in Los Angeles on January 7, followed by New York on January 9, Toronto on Jan 10, London on Jan 11, Dubai on Jan 12, Bangkok on Jan 13 and finally Delhi on Jan 14.

Grapevine is abuzz that Akshay has, in fact, hired a chartered plane so that the cast and crew of ‘CC2C’ can attend all the premieres without any delays.

‘Chandni Chowk To China’ has Akshay playing a small time cook in old Delhi who goes to China on a mission he is unaware of in the beginning. The film has Deepika Padukone in the lead role.

LUCKY SEVEN

There are too many seven links to CC2C. The film has its first premiere on Jan 7. It will have seven premieres. And it releases worldwide on Jan 16, which adds up to seven.
    Deepika Padukone's Character Inspired by 'Charlie's Angels'
    January 08 2009 22:10 PST

Akshay Kumar's newest film, 'Chandni Chowk to China,' enjoyed a grand Hollywood premiere last night at the Steven J Ross Theatre in Burbank, California and Bollywood stars weren't the only ones there to celebrate! It seems Deepika Padukone's character in the film, Meow Meow, was modeled after Lucy Liu's character from the Hollywood film, 'Charlie's Angels' directed by McG. So when McG got wind of this, he was quite curious to see if Deepika's character lived up to Lucy's and attended the Hollywood premiere last night!

After watching the film, McG made a point to tell 'Chandni Chowk to China' director Nikhil Advani that he was impressed by Deepika's look in the movie. Deepika's character sports long black, pin straight locks with blunt bangs and bright red lipstick. Sounds like Lucy Liu's character! So who do you think rocks the look better - Lucy or Deepika?

McG wasn't the only Hollywood star at the premiere, there was also John Landis (the director of 'Beverly Hills Cop III,' and 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids: the TV Show,' among other shows), Alan Horn (the President and COO of Warner Brothers which distributed 'CC2C'), and Richard Fox (executive VP for Warner Brothers International). Phew! Sounds like a whole lot of Hollywood big wigs, but no stars! We were hoping for some Hollywood starlets to rock the carpet. But either way, to have a Bollywood film premiere at a Hollywood venue is a pretty cool feat, kudos to Akshay and the whole, 'Chandi Chowk to China' team. Now it's off to New York City for another rocking premiere!
    Akshay and Deepika on a whirlwind 7 tour
    1/9/2009 10:46:50 PM
    Akshay Kumar and wife Twinkle at the New York premiere of 'Chandni Chowk to China'

Akshay kumar and Deepika Padukone are on a whirlwind seven city premiere tour for their new film 'Chandni Chowk to China'. Times Now's Natasha Israni caught up with the superstar and his wife Twinkle on the New York red carpet premiere of 'Chandni Chowk to China'.

Natasha: They are calling this the first masala Kung Fu film. What was it like being a part of such a unique set up?

Akshay: Do you like noodles and curry? You mix them up together and you get something different. That is what Chandini Chowk to China is like. It's great fun to have something different. Nobody else does that. Thats exactly what we have tried to do with this movie.

Natasha: Twinkle have you seen the film?

Twinkle: I have seen the first half thrice. I have not seen the second part yet so I want to see the whole thing today.

Natasha: In terms of the international interest in films like this, do you see this film as a fron runner and opening up the gates even more for such fusion films?

Akshay: I'm sure it is going to do that because we have Warner Bros backing us. If you look at the way it has been releasing, we have about 135 prints releasing in the US alone, where as Bollywood has had a maximum film release of only 80 prints.

Natasha: What do you feel about the whole Jackie Chan style of the film?

Akshay: I'm glad that you are comparing it to a Jackie Chan movie. He also believes in action and comedy coming together. So basically he also comes from the family of entertainment where I come from.

Natasha: Twinkle how does it feel to watch Akshay do all these different films and big successes? What is your focus these days?

Twinkle: I think its really nice that Akshay is doing well and he's worked really hardto get here and I'm really proud.
    Warners goes Bollywood-- Chandni Chowk to China opens on Jan. 16.
    posted by OtownRog on Jan 5, 2009 8:45:23 AM

Warner Brothers has added an Indian film to its 2009 release slate, and added it at the last minute.
    Chandni Chowk to China will open in 50 markets, making it the widest release of a Bollywood film yet in North America. Akshay Kumar stars, and it has a little supernatural martial arts, a little action, some reincarnation, a little song and dance.

"Bollywood," in other words.
    Not sure how this figures into Warner's difficulties with China over releasing The Dark Knight there. Perhaps they're just testing the waters after the arrival of Slumdog Millionaire.
    Jackie Chan will watch Akshay Kumar's 'Chandni Chowk to China'
    02 Jan, 2009 08:28 am IST

Okay, we thought Akshay Kumar is only shaking up the Kings of Bollywood. But no....his star-power ranges from China to Hollywood. After charming the likes of Sylvester Stallone, Akshay Kumar is going to shock Jackie Chan with his stunts, somersaults et al. Yeah, apparently our favourite Jackie bhai from China has expressed a desire to watch 'Chandni Chowk to China'. Jackie is supposedly close to Gordon Liu (of 'Kill Bill' and 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin' fame), who plays the villain in the movie, and he's keen to watch his buddy's first stint with Bollywood.

While Gordon's fans in China lovingly call him 'Master Killer' (gosh, that doesn't sound too loving, does it?), Akshay Kumar insists on referring to him as the Gordon Liu. And here's a bit of goss that your ears will instantly lap up. Apparently, Gordon Liu was casually asked about his experience working with Nikhil Advani vis-a-vis the Quentin Tarantino. Of course, Nikhil was terribly embarrassed about even being spoken in the same breath as the Oscar winning filmmaker. But Gordon's response totally stunned them all. He revealed that Quentin Tarantino is always seen laughing on the sets, also he doesn't tell anyone with what he's about to do next. On the other hand, according to the veteran filmmaker, our very own Nikhil is always serious and all he does is work, work, and work. Aha...now that's a compliment boy, take a bow. As the Chinese do, okay?

And we're hoping that after watching Akshay Kumar in action, Jackie Chan makes a big move from 'China to Chandni Chowk'. And Jackie, don't be threatened by Akshay Kumar! Take our word for it... the boy is a lovely soul.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

opens this week

more to come...
    CC2C set for US release
    Sunday, 01.11.2009, 09:52pm (GMT-7)
    India Post News Service

NEW YORK: With Hollywood giant Warner Bros. Pictures taking on the distribution of the Hindi movie Chandni Chowk to China, this Akshay Kumar starrer is all set to become the first ever Bollywood mega production to get a mainstream release in the US and Canada, opening as it would on 125 screens in over 50 markets across North America on Jan 16.

The film will also be released in 40 international markets. Dubbed as the first ever Bollywood kung fu comedy, Chandni Chowk to China revolves around one man's passage from being a simple cook in Chandni Chowk in Delhi, India to becoming a kung fu fighter against the backdrop of the Great Wall of China.

The cast also includes Bollywood veteran Mithun Chakraborty, Chinese martial arts expert and actor Gordon Liu (Kill Bill). It also features stunts choreographed by martial arts stunt coordinator Huen Chiu-Ku, whose credits include Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Kill Bill and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. At a press conference held prior to the film's premiere in New York City on Jan 8, lead actors Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone along with the film's director Nikhil Advani talked about the film while humorously urging everyone to go see the film so they could recover the huge amounts of money and hard work that have gone into making it.

Akshay Kumar, who is hugely popular among NRI audiences, said his part in the film was semi-autobiographical, in that he has played a cook and a martial arts expert. He said he worked as a cook before coming to India from Bangkok to become an actor. He is also a professional martial arts expert.

Of the film, the actor said, "It's a pure Bollywood story. If you are fans of the old Manmohan Desai films, this is that of a film; it has all of action, drama, emotion, songs and dances and comedy; it's a film that I can watch with my little son and my grandmother.

There's something for everyone in it." Deepika Padukone said she had to train in martial arts for five months to prepare for her role, for which she received a sincere commendation from her co-star who said, "Considering she does not have a background in martial arts, she has done a great job."

Advani said the Warner Bros connection had opened several doors for them to the extent that they could actually shoot extensive action sequences atop of the Great Wall of China for the film.

"We've done the impossible… the kind of action scenes that we've shot on the Great Wall," Advani said. "That comes with the huge support we had from Warner Bros. Also the huge opening across the US, it's history for us."

Responding to a query from a Pakistani reporter, Akshay Kumar said it was sad that due to recent incidents of terror attacks in India, there is a strain on Indian movies that are released in Pakistan.

"When Singh is King (his last movie) released in Pakistan, it grossed the highest ever earnings for a Bollywood film in Pakistan. But now it's sad that all movies don't get released there. It is not the fault of the people. Hope the two countries get along well, we can only pray."

Warner Bros launch global anti-piracy campaign to protect Chandni Chowk to China Warner Bros Worldwide Anti-Piracy Group has meanwhile mounted a targeted campaign to protect the worldwide release of the film Chandni Chowk to China.

The film is set to open simultaneously in the US, the UK, Canada, India, Hong Kong, Australia, Germany and Malaysia. A recent study by the Motion Picture Association showed that in 2005, the major US Studios lost $120 million, while piracy cost the local Indian film industry $171 million.

"We know that audience excitement and anticipation for Chandni Chow to China is high, especially in the North American Hindi and UK community," said Lucia Rangel, Vice President, Latin America and Asia Pacific, Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations, Warner Bros Entertainment.

"Unfortunately, this means that pirate demand for the film will be high as well. But anyone trying to illegally camcord, selling or distributing our film on the Internet should be aware that we will be very, very vigilant in our efforts to protect this film.

We have many ways of preventing and identifying those perpetrators who would steal our content. They have proven successful in the past and we will take action against those who are caught."

Warner Bros Anti-Piracy plans include monitoring screenings to catch possible camcorders, scanning the Internet to identify illegal uploading of the film and files and raiding stores and markets to ensure that they are not offering illegal copies of the film.

Rangel said their personnel would be equipped with even night vision goggles to spot anyone who might illegally try to record the film in the theaters. "While the film is still in theaters, sellers and consumers should not that any DVDs of the film are not legally authorized, and if found, retailers may face the legal action," she added.

Raids of stores and markets for a previous film, "Saas Bahu N Sensex" resulted in the seizure of thousands of counterfeit discs, including many other titles. One seller in the UK received court ordered curfew.
    SRIREKHA N. CHAKRAVARTY
    Chandni Chowk To China's international villain

Martial arts expert-cum-actor from Hollywood Gordon Liu has made his Bollywood debut with Chandni Chowk To China. His fans call him the 'Master Killer' and he's famous for his role as Pai Mei in Kill Bill: Volume 2 and as Johny Mo in Kill Bill: Volume 1.

This is the 53 year old actor's first ever Hindi movie and he's happy and excited to be a part of a Hindi film.The character is called 'Hojo' and as the film is based in China a Chinese-looking villain was a must. Hence he was signed on. The actor shot for 3 months in various locations, like China and Thailand for this flick, in which he teamed up again with his action director of Kill Bill, Dee Dee Du.

CC2C has Akshay Kumar playing a cook from Chandni Chowk who is mistaken to be the reincarnation of a kung fu warrior and is taken to Shanghai to fight an evil gang lord. Deepika Padukone is in the double role of an Indian and Chinese woman while Mithun Chakraborty plays Akshay's dad in the flick.

This Warner Bros film releasing on January 16 is an action-comedy with a dash of martial arts and is said to be on the lines of Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More has come

Check out our exclusive e-zine review, CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA: From White Castle to Golden Palace by Dr. Craig Reid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jaff Yang Asian Pop S.F. Chronicle

There's a bit of a SPOILER but Yang covers some good ground with this. I like the Dragon and the Elephant part. Reminds me of my Dragon and Eagle title.
    East meets East in 'Chandni Chowk to China'
    Jeff Yang
    Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Chandni Chowk to China" is a weird, wildly entertaining blend of Bollywood musical and martial arts epic and, just maybe, the future of global pop cinema.

It's almost impossible to describe the effervescent madness that unspools onscreen in "Chandni Chowk to China," which Warner Bros. has dubbed the first "Bollywood kung fu action comedy" and opens Friday in the Bay Area. Like Chandni Chowk itself, a teeming market at the center of densely packed Delhi, this movie strains at the seams with sensation, making its running time of two hours and 20 minutes somewhat exhausting but never boring.

And though its ingredients seem random - a lowly Indian food vendor revealed as the reincarnation of an ancient Chinese warrior! separated-at-birth twins, one a dance queen, the other a kung fu femme fatale! Bolly-style dance routines in the Forbidden City! the god Ganesha embodied in the form of a potato! - like the tastiest culinary creations of both cultures, the oddly juxtaposed textures and flavors come together in surprisingly harmonious union. In fact, Asian pop enthusiasts will be excused if they wonder why no one else had thought of the combination before.

That includes its director, Nikhil Advani, who points out that there are strong structural similarities between the Bollywood and kung fu cinematic genres, both of which originated in times of economic and social strife and are rooted in the desire of working-class audiences for escape and catharsis.

"Bollywood became what it is because people in India have so much trouble in their lives," Advani says. "When the common man in India goes to the theater, he doesn't want to be reminded of his problems; he wants to fly away, to be taken into an exotic, fantastical place. He wants to feel, hey, this guy is a normal guy, but he can do something to go beyond that. And that's what is at the center of most martial arts films as well."

So in Bollywood musicals, you'll see performers whirl away their troubles in elaborately choreographed routines that defy plausibility, logic and even the laws of physics; in kung fu movies, you'll see more or less the same thing, only without a lilting rhythmic soundtrack. But while martial arts cinema has successfully transcended its Chinese roots to become a truly pancultural phenomenon, Bollywood's popularity is still largely limited to Indian (and Indian diasporic) audiences, something that Advani blames on the lack of "global ambassadors" for the genre.

Bollywood ambassadors

"Whether you're talking about Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Yuen Woo Ping or Gordon Liu" - the classic kung fu superstar who plays the main villain in "Chandni Chowk" - "martial arts cinema has had many great ambassadors, icons who have reached out to and appealed to a global audience, so it was able to move out of its cult status and gain mass appeal," he says. "Bollywood is still struggling to find its ambassadors, guys and girls who people will recognize in the streets of Manhattan as well as Mumbai."

As far as global representatives go, Bollywood could hardly make a better choice than the two stars of "Chandni Chowk": breathtaking ingenue Deepika Padukone, whose looks and screen appeal are already receiving comparisons to those of renowned icon Aishwarya Rai, and veteran action king Akshay Kumar, often called the most bankable actor in India. And the bet Warner Bros. is making on the pair is, indeed, a global one: As a sign of the studio's confidence in the border-breaking potential of "Chandni Chowk," its first-ever Indian production, it is releasing the film in 50 global markets while getting the biggest U.S. opening in history for a Bollywood film (not to mention a staggering 1,400-screen premiere in its native India).

"The pressure on us is immense," says Kumar, himself a black belt in Goji Ryu karate and a lifelong kung fu movie fan, "but I think we are making this film at the right time. This movie brings a very fresh turn to an age-old story - it's a Bollywood stir-fry, a kung fu curry! People these days are looking for something different, and this is something totally unique, yet still familiar."
    Bandwagon jump

Unique for now, perhaps. But if it succeeds, it won't be unique for long. "If this goes well, this is just the beginning," says Kumar. "In India, if one movie works, everyone jumps on board and makes the same kind of movie, so you'll probably see a crowd of Bollywood kung fu films! But someone has to be the first to set the trend."

Still, co-star Padukone thinks increasing convergence between China and India is inevitable. "We have the two oldest and biggest populations in the world," she says. "We have very rich, very similar cultures, and I think that we are destined to come together."

Her thoughts are echoed by no less a cinematic light than director Shekhar Kapur ("Elizabeth"), who announced last month on his blog that it was time for the "Dragon and the Elephant" to join forces. "We are defined by many common mythologies and philosophies ... It is time for us to finally bury our addiction to the West and to form cultural and creative bonds."

Kapur's thoughts were prompted by a visit to Beijing, and the experience he had there of engagement, respect and mutual fascination with Chinese colleagues. And there's been a growing interest among Chinese consumers in Indian culture, from fashion and design, with Indian jewelry and apparel becoming increasingly chic among stylemakers, to music - a series of Bollywood concerts held in five cities last year sold out almost instantly.

In short, the road from "Chandni Chowk to China" seems as if it has the potential to be paved with gold, but what about the return journey? Perhaps a sequel is in order, a movie where a Beijing street vendor with mad kung fu skills goes to India to learn how to sing and dance? Who wouldn't pay to see Jackie Chan, Kumar and Padukone team up in "From Panjiayuan Market to the Punjab"?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Substance? He's looking at kung fu & Bollywood flicks and he wants substance?

Some of us like to be befuddled. I know my love of befuddlement is what has kept my love for Asian film strong. I'm actually hoping this flick is outrageously befuddling.

Last updated January 15, 2009 2:25 p.m. PT
    Befuddling Bollywood import 'Chandni Chowk' has no substance to sustain its epic length
    By BILL WHITE
    SPECIAL TO THE P-I

Warner Brothers' first Bollywood import crosses the excesses of Hindi popular film with Chinese slapstick and American infantilism. The setup (a silly character takes a crash course in martial arts to defeat a villain who menaces a village) is similar to "Kung Fu Panda," the manic pixilation of action scenes owes much to Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle," and the overall style follows the mix-and-match potpourri of Hindi entertainment, delivering a pie in the face with a tear in its eye.

The title, "Chandni Chowk to China," is not as awkward as it seems, as the story follows vegetable chopper Sidhu (Akshay Kumar) from the Chandni Chowk neighborhood of Delhi, India, to a village in China, where -- falsely regarded as the reincarnation of warrior Liu Sheng -- he is expected to kill the feared Hojo (Gordon Liu). Along the way, he gets mixed up with twin sisters Sakhi and Meow Meow (Deepika Padukone), who are identical except that one is Indian and the other Chinese.

Children and undiscriminating adults may enjoy the flurry of eye-catching activities that storm incessantly across the screen for its 2 1/2 hours, but the reigning stupidity of the enterprise is liable to tire anyone else in attendance. Most Bollywood productions sustain their epic lengths with episodic sojourns into stock sequences lifted from a panoply of genres regardless of what kind of story is being told. Director Nikhil Advani, however, streamlines the contrasting materials into a single plotline, the result being an overlong kung fu movie rather than a relatively short Hindi entertainment.

As Sidhu, Kumar sports a ridiculous moustache that gives him a Borat quality. He loses the facial hair when his character enters his heroic phase, but even then he suffers from that drowned puppy look that Adam Sandler so often affects. More charismatic is the villain Hojo, a steel-eyed parody of Goldfinger's Oddjob, played to perfection by martial-arts veteran Liu. For those who favor beauty over brawn, Maybelline cover girl and former badminton star Padukone is a knockout in her dual role as the estranged sisters.

As mindless adventure films go, "Chandni Chowk to China" is no worse than the most recent installment in the "Mummy" franchise, but its combination of maudlin sincerity, cruel slapstick, exotic romanticism and boogie-down dance sequences may befuddle more than it entertains.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips