Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January / February 2009 Issue (Shaolin Special)

I'll keep my eyes on my local newsstand.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

When is the next issue coming out?
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

the magazine is bi monthly. so march april should be out in march or end of febuary at least.

Our next issue will be on the newsstands on 2/3/9

Our shipment just arrived here, so we'll be sending out our subscriptions this week.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Somewhere on the Northen Hemisphere of the planet Terra.

A noob's review...

Actually, I just subscribed to KFM about a week ago and I'm pleased to say that I just got the March/April issue! I thought I might receive the Jan/Feb edition at first, but since not, I suppose I'll just have to purchase one to complete my current collection:

"September/October 2008: This one hooked me from the start. I especially loved the articles on Grandmaster Hoy Lee and the "Heaven and Earth blade". Kudos to Gene.

November/December 2008: I enjoyed the article on Mantis Kung Fu and Master Jack Tu.

January/February 2009: MUST BUY!

March/April 2009: I love the articles on Wudang and Grandmaster Tu's Iron Palm. It's odd, but he reminds me of my father in the given depictions. What is it with the Tus? They're either inhuman or incredibly gifted! "

All in all, a fantastic read! I look forward to the others!

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --- Mohandas Ghandi

Thanks for the props LaylaConn

This is a funny thing about the publishing industry - every mag puts a newsstand date out that's later than the actual date. So our Jan/Feb 2009 issue was on the newsstands in early December and our current Mar/Apr 2009 is hitting the newsstands right now.

It really has to do with when the magazines come off the stands then when they go on. Periodicals are all about returns. The concept is that the periodical will stay on the stands longer, giving it a little longer shelf life. Since we're bimonthly, it seems more pronounced.

You should start a new thread reviewing the Mar/Apr 2009 issue.

What is it with you and the Tu family? GM Tu was just here last week doing workshops.
    Thanks for subscribing!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Somewhere on the Northen Hemisphere of the planet Terra.
    Thanks for the info. It's been years since I've ever bothered to read a magazine, let alone subscribe to it. I had a feeling that publishers might actually do things they way you said, but I didn't want to end up having two of the same mag. Then again, maybe I should've just taken the risk and given the other away if I'd been lucky enough to receive two copies anyway.

The featured Shoalin stance training it mentions in the contents online sounds the most interesting to me so far. What do you think about it?

By the way, on the subject of Shoalin kung fu, what exactly is the difference between theirs and other forms of kung fu? I know it looks amazing when done right, but as people trained in such an art form, what do you find most beneficial and/or intriguing about Shoalin kung fu?

As for the Tu family: Is it a crime to recognize those with true talent? I think not!

Anyway, on to the March April forum...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --- Mohandas Ghandi

Some Shaolin thoughts for LaylaConn

The article Traditional Shaolin Stance Training By Walter Gjergja received a lot of good feedback. There's even a thread dedicated to it...well, sort of. I tried to spin it that way, but that thread took on it's own life and went a totally different direction.

As for what the difference is between Shaolin kung fu and other styles, that's a huge question. The easiest answer is the zen of it.

Thanks for firing up the new issue thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jan Feb Shaolin Special

Hi Gene

Just wanted to say how chuffed I was to read about the shaolin show that is set against the backdrop of the mountain -excuse me but I cant rember what it is called.

When we went a year or so ago it was the highlight of the trip and words, video and photos we took just did not do it justice...the scale of it is just nuts.

It was so good to see that this was being promoted in the mag as this is a must do when in the area.

Thanks Blacktiger

I've been working on getting an article on that show since its premiere. I had two other freelancers lined up for it, but they both flaked. One even sent me all these great pics, but then never turned in an article.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oh well - you got there in the end and thats the main thing.

Indeed, we did get the article...

...but I still haven't got there personally. If only they'd buy me a ticket over there, I'd be glad to give them more coverage. I've been dying to see the show since it opened. I hear such different reports. Most say its staggering. Some say the goats are too smelly.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ha Ha - yes the goats - in any case you must go its so good.

I wanted to find out how many workers died hooking the lights up on the mountain tops

Oh and warriors on wires covered in fairy lights flying through the air!