Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Ahmet

More on Ahmet

His command of English is what makes him crucial to SSoD. They couldn't even get an English-speaking Chinese judge...
    Martial Arts Monks To Hit Cheshunt
    17:12 - 20 January 2009
    MONK MAGIC: Shaolin Kung Fu is on its way to Cheshunt

WARRIOR monks will be plying their trade at a new Shaolin Kung Fu class at Cheshunt's Grundy Park Leisure Centre.

The centre, off Windmill Lane, has become the first ever UK training ground for the monks of the Shaolin Temple.

The classes will be held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 5pm and Saturdays at 10am and will cost £6 for under 16s and £8 for 16 years and over.

The classes will be taken by Matthew Ahmet who was awarded the Buddhist name "Shi Yan Wu" meaning 34th generation Disciple of Shaolin temple Abbot Shi Yong Xin in 2006.

Matthew moved to China when he was 16 to train to be a Shaolin Monk. His martial skills include traditional Shaolin fists, modern Wushu fists, Shaolin animal fists, Shaolin acrobatics and ground acrobatics, and many more including two finger handstands and breaking bricks with his head.

* For more information about Matthew or to book onto the classes please call him on 07505 013735.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I mean, it's an interesting theme and one which has been touched on before, the relationship between break dancing and kung fu, we had a segment with Nat G I think it was where they brought in Crazy Legs who sometimes trains with us, and they did a pretty cool piece...but these guys seem a little too fluffy and less gritty if that makes sense.

honestly im not impressed by most of the dancers on that show. i always end up agreeing with the south african judge. the american hip hop group is alright but they are soft, any crew from americas best dance crew could probably stomp them. and shaolin wtf are they doing there.

tonight is the finale?

I was so done with SSoD last week, but there's no practice tonight because of Chinese New Years, so I might tune in anyway. I'm just hoping that the monks get slighted, then get ****ed off and then beat the snot out of all the other competitors. That would be a real showstopper. If only...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was so done with SSoD last week, but there's no practice tonight because of Chinese New Years, so I might tune in anyway. I'm just hoping that the monks get slighted, then get ****ed off and then beat the snot out of all the other competitors. That would be a real showstopper. If only...
    that would be awesome, and all the dancers are running and screaming, Michael flatly gets flattened(couldnt resist saying that). and all the people in the audience thinks its apart of the show and are applauding like the monkeys they are.

Missed the show this week....watched it last week

Where did they get the "Superstars" from?

Most of the people on that show were good dancers but "Superstars"? Last week they even had a couple on there doing a magic show by changing clothes really quick. Like one of the judges said, it would make for a nice Las Vegas lounge act but it had nothing to do with the art of dancing.

The wushu monks....yawn

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Missed the show this week....watched it last week

Where did they get the "Superstars" from?

Most of the people on that show were good dancers but "Superstars"? Last week they even had a couple on there doing a magic show by changing clothes really quick. Like one of the judges said, it would make for a nice Las Vegas lounge act but it had nothing to do with the art of dancing.

The wushu monks....yawn
    i agree most of them are mediocre and they wonder why they south african judge rips them a new one. even the american team sucks cause like i said in an ealier post any crew from americas best dance crew can shut them down.

More on Ahmet

Did anyone tell Ahmet and the UK news that Shaolin is not going to be an Olympic event? Someone should since 2012 is London...
    Shaolin Monk has training school and Olympics in his sights
    3:51pm Tuesday 21st July 2009

THE only British member of the performing Shaolin monks, who broke his leg last week, has pledged to train future generations for martial arts Olympic glory.

Matthew Ahmet, one of a troupe of “kung fu monks” who wow audiences across the world with their implausible feats, says he wants to set up a training school for children, but needs help.

For the past five months Mr Ahmet, 20, originally of Edmonton, has been holding classes at the Grundy Park Leisure Centre in some of the arts he learned over three years at the Shaolin temple in China.

He and a band of children from six upwards recently finished a gruelling schedule of 27 performances at schools and open days in and around Enfield.

The performances combine traditional animal movements with dazzling sequences of mid-air twists and backflips, some of which involve springing off the head.

Mr Ahmet said: “I want to help the kids make something out of their lives. When they get to a certain level they can make money, it becomes a career choice for them. I have already applied for Britain’s Got Talent in 2010, with about 20 kids, and to make a show. I’m thinking some of these kids could train to be in the Olympics.”

Mum Angela Anderson, of Cheshunt, whose daughter Iyanu, 11 and son Oni 8 are part of the troupe said the experience had taught them discipline and confidence.

She said: “I really think what he has done for my children is unbelievable. They were complete beginners six months ago, now Oni is flipping out of bed every morning.“ Last week disaster struck in the last stages of the final performance, when Mr Ahmet caught his toe on a clump of grass, broke his leg and dislocated his foot. None of the children were hurt.

It has left him unable to perform for the rest of the year, forcing him to drop the Shaolin Monks’ Wheel of Life tour, planned for the autumn, in which he has appeared for the past few years.

Mr Ahmet, who maintains that he develops children’s strength and flexibility to minimise the risk of them getting injured, says now that he wants to raise money for a set of gym mats, a van and the hire of a proper venue and create a training school to realise his dream and to prevent this from happening again.

He said: “What I want to prove – and of course I am very young – is that if you dedicate yourself to something you can make something of it. I am not some amazing guy, I am training hard and training them properly. And we have been blowing people away like nobody’s business.“ Anyone willing to provide help with fundraising, promotion, or free transport should email him on courage2stand@gmail.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more on Ahmet

Can the Shaolin dance team beat a Madonna drag artist?
    Britain's Got Talent: Madonna drag artist and Impressionist Paul Burling prove big hits with judges
    3/06/2010
    Britain's Got Talent

Showbiz wannabe Philip Grimmer takes what he hopes is another giant step from drags to riches last night.

And the zany 57-year-old won a thumbs up from the panel on Britain's Got Talent as he performed Madonna's Hung Up with a line-up of hunky fellas. Judge Piers Morgan told him: "If Madonna was watching step aside 'cos there's a new kid on the block."

The panel declared it the best night yet. Impressionist Paul Burling (above) had even Simon Cowell in stitches and Starburst dazzled. Tonight features hotly-tipped dancers Shaolin Team, led by Matthew Ahmet, 21, back to fitness after a triple leg break.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

led by Matthew Ahmet, 21, back to fitness after a triple leg break.

Yikes!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

So much for that

Shaolin eliminated from BGT. Ahmet should just stop with this now. If he's not going to win, he should not front the Shaolin name so.
    Cheshunt’s Shaolin Team bow out of Britain’s Got Talent
    By Paul Christian, Reporter Friday, 4 June, 2010
    13:51 PM

A GROUP of performing Shaolin monks from Cheshunt were eliminated from Britain’s Got Talent last night (Thursday).

Shaolin Team UK, a martial arts group from Cheshunt, which trains at Grundy Park Leisure Centre, lost out to dance duo Twist and Pulse and octogenarian singer Janey Cutler.

Shaolin Team have been described as a “unique group, led by a man who trained as a shaolin monk in China for three years”.

Their ages range from 9 to 30, they have performed at schools and fun days and recently performed at the Martial Arts exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Britain’s Got Talent’s Shaolin Warriors

That's a great title, eh? Britain’s Got Talent’s Shaolin Warriors. BGTSW.

Published: 01/03/2011 08:55 - Updated: 28/02/2011 17:11
    Mayor's charity evening of fashion is sellout success
    By Jean Marsden

A SELL-OUT evening of fashion in aid of Broxbourne mayor Cllr Mark Mills-Bishop's charity has raised thousands of pounds for Teens Unite Fighting Cancer.

Mayor's charity Evening of Fashion fundraiser with Gillian TaylforthThe red carpet was rolled out for celebrities and the community alike as guests tucked into a two-course meal while Hertford Regional College (HRC) students paraded their outfits on the catwalk, local singers entertained and the Cheshunt-based Shaolin Warriors leapt into the air.

Fashion icon Karen Millen, co-founder of Wormley-based Teens Unite, was there with celebrity choreographer Kevin Adams of BBC's Fame Academy and former EastEnders legend Gillian Taylforth from Broxbourne.

Co-founder Debbie Pezzani said: "The mayor has been amazing for us as a charity and amazing for the community. Everyone loves him."

And Cllr Mills-Bishop (Con, Goffs Oak) said: "One of the things I wanted to do was showcase the community and use community people. All the acts were either born, bred or run in the community."

They included Britain’s Got Talent’s Shaolin Warriors, 16-year-old Roxy Searle who has performed in West End shows, Fushion at Cheshunt Dance School and Chloe Swaby and her band.

Kevin put HRC students through their paces before their catwalk show in which they strutted clothes they had made themselves.

Other students interviewed, photographed and videoed during the evening as part of their vocational training and NVQ qualifications as proud principal Andy Forbes looked on.

"I am extremely pleased at the success of the night and thank so many people for their time and commitment to the cause of Teen Unite and raising thousands of pounds," said Cllr Mills-Bishop.

"My speech was a ‘thank you'. There were so many people to thank who have contributed an awful lot towards the charity. They have risen to the challenge and shown commitment to stand with young people and their families in their moment of despair."

Even the Tuesday Club for people with severe learning difficulties which meets at HRC gave up their club money for the cause. "It touches your heart," said the mayor.

A total of 220 crammed into the civic hall in High Street to enjoy the cabaret and fashion show and a chance to mingle with the stars.~
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Next from Ahmet

KUNG FU SAVED MY LIFE COMING TO SKY 1
    June 21st, 2011 by Lisa McGarry.

The ancient discipline of kung fu meets the hard core street culture of modern Britain, as Shaolin monk and martial arts master Matthew Ahmet mentors a group of young men and women from inner city estates across the UK. Kung Fu Saved My Life transmits exclusively on Sky 1 HD from early August (6 x 60’).
    The Sky 1 HD series will follow Matthew as he attempts to teach them self-control, respect and restraint and help present an alternative life far removed from violence, crime, drugs and underachievement. Filmed on location in the UK and Hong Kong, the series promises a risky and controversial approach to combating the UK’s rising ‘hoodie culture’ and anti-social behaviour.

Born in an area of London renowned its high crime and violence rate, Matthew chose a gruelling regime of sacrifice, training and punishment in a Chinese monastery. He returned to the UK several years later to tutor youngsters and offer them an insight into the beauty of Shaolin philosophy in a bid to focus their aggression in more positive ways.

Matthew will take 12 tough young men and women from estates in London, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds, all under 25, on a voyage of discovery to Hong Kong. There, they’ll learn from some of the world’s deadliest kung fu instructors in a bid to teach them how to avoid conflict back at home by channelling their aggression into amazing feats of inner strength and confidence.

It will be Matthew’s role to impress upon his recruits that with this power comes a responsibility to be true to themselves, as well as others around them. Ahead of them lie gruelling twelve-hour days, basic living conditions and physical endurance training that will test their resolve to the limit. They may be able to perform jaw-dropping feats and gravity-defying stunts if they make it to the end, but will they be able to make some figurative leaps in their lives by returning to college or getting a job? And will they heed Matthew’s advice and use their new-found power and restraint for the greater good?

Matthew Ahmet says: “I want to show these kids that the choices they make affect not just their lives, but those of their families and others around them. The goal of life – happiness – is in their hands and only they are responsible for reaching out and finding it.”
    I'm changing this thread title from 'Shaolin on Superstars of Dance' to 'Matthew Ahmet'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3 years

17:00 Tuesday 13 November 2012 Written by Owen Bennett
    New temple for international martial arts group

AN INTERNATIONAL martial arts group celebrated its third birthday by refurbishing its temple.

Deputy Mayor Councillor Bren Perryman with the Shaolin Warriors

Deputy Mayor Councillor Bren Perryman (Con, Hoddesdon Town and Rye Park) cut the ribbon on a relaunched Shaolin Temple in a former factory warehouse in the High Street, Cheshunt.

More than £5,000 was spent on renovating the building, which is home to the Shaolin Warriors UK.

The team have recently won 11 Gold Medals in the first ever International Shaolin Tournament in Berlin, and will now host the competition in 2014.

Shaolin Disciple Matthew Ahmet, who runs the centre, said: "It’s been refurbished to look like a temple in China, and it makes such a difference.

"It looks amazing from the outside and the deputy mayor was really impressed with the inside."

The martial arts group launched in 2009, and has pupils aged from 3 years old to more than 50.
    Congrats to Matthew
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Matthew on Kick-Ass Kung Fu

09:00 Thursday 23 May 2013 Written by MARTIN FORD
    Cheshunt warrior changing lives through kung fu
    Shaolin warrior Matthew Ahmet, from Cheshunt Shaolin warrior Matthew Ahmet, from Cheshunt

THE quest of a Shaolin warrior from Cheshunt to turn around the lives of deprived young people from urban Britain is the subject of a forthcoming TV series.

Troubled teens and young people from gang-dominated estates in the country’s major cities follow in the footsteps of Matthew Ahmet, 24, head coach at the Shaolin Temple in Cheshunt, as part of the series, Kick-Ass Kung Fu.

Matthew’s own future was in danger of taking a wrong turn before he travelled to China to train with the Shaolin Temple in China.

He said: “When I was 16 I left school in Camden and I was hanging around with the wrong people, carrying a knife sometimes.

“Moving to China made me the person I am today and I want to give these guys the opportunity I had to contribute to society.”

After four years of training and mastering the matrial arts and acrobatic moves, he was awarded the Buddhist name of Shi Yan Wu.

“I was chosen as a member of the Wheel of Life Show, which is their biggest touring theatre show, and the first non-Chinese Shaolin warrior,” Matthew said.

He has since established the temple in Wycliffe Close and made numerous TV appearances, reaching the semi finals of Britain’s Got Talent in 2010 and filming with the BBC and Discovery Channel.

His latest series for Sky 1 sees him travel to London, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds meeting young people, some caught up in violent and drug-realted crime.

Matthew said: “Each show we go to the estate and do a boot camp using the local area, such as running up stairs rather than a mountain, emulating what we do in China.

“It was a bit intimidating – there were youths smoking on the corner, but these were real criminals, some of them. We had all sorts of security, it was intense.

“They could relate to me as they were my age or even older, and they grew to respect us.

“We pick three of the best students, based on their mental understanding and physical ability, and take them to the Big Buddha in Hong Kong”

He added: “It’s about taking life back to the basics. Life in the UK isn’t so hard compared to when you have to wash your clothes by hand and there’s no heating.

“They had a lot of ego but the training broke them down. It really turned them around, you see a massive change.”

The training not only enabled some of the students to pull off stunts and achieve physical feats, but gave them a new outlook on life.

“There was eight to 10 hours a day of rigorous training, they had to hit sandbags for hours on end but by the end, some didn’t want to leave!”

Kick-Ass Kung Fu will screen on Sky 1 soon.
    'carrying a knife sometimes'? What's wrong with that? I'm carrying a knife right now. I'm almost always carrying a knife.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips