Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do all HFY schools teach the same...

Do all HFY schools teach the same...

Curriculum? I went to visit one and was suprised to learn that they start off the training with sanshou(boxing) skills for weeks before getting to any forms work. Also was disappointed at the McDojo'ness of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    Also was disappointed at the McDojo'ness of the place.
    Could you elaborate on this part? What makes this club a McDojo?
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

"Join the Shaolin Warrior program and get your black belt in two years"

Hello Cimaroon,

I'll try my best to answer your question, although understand that I'm not absolutely familiar with the fine details of how every HFY kwoon is run.

In the HFY Wing Chun Federation, all kwoons follow a strict cirriculum of HFY material that has been approved and directed by HFY HQ.

With that said, schools are allowed to taylor their individual programs outside of the HFY cirriculum to better fit their regional location and student base.

Therefore, some schools do provide an introduction to martial arts program that serves as a pathway for new students to gain some basic martial awareness and athletic ability before they are brought fully into the HFY program.

However to my knowledge, if the student already has a degree of athletic ability, they can test out of these introduction classes and move straight to the HFY program itself.

In regards to your personal experience, you may have found this introduction course to not be what you had in mind. But I will say, that a basis of outside martial knowledge is to your benefit later on in your training for sparring and other skill challenges.

As for the McDojo-ness of the belts etc... I personally don't care for belts, but you'd be surprised at how many students really really want them. So with that in mind our schools are allowed to implement belt rankings within their kwoons as they see fit.

However all regional instructors must follow the ranking and certification process as required by HFY HQ.

Hope that answers your questions.

This really helps the new student understand!

I have found this approach to be refreshing! I think it really helps the Wing Chun student define what it is that he/she is learning! I think it also allows them to see a contrast in methods! keeping a healthy respect for other arts while allowing the student to see the benefit of his/her training. As for getting your black belt in 2 years I think black belt is a relative term. I have no problem bringing my 2 year students to a level where they can compete at the black belt level! As a matter of fact when ever my student compete if they've been with me more then two years they prefer to sign up for the "black belt" or "advanced" level.

just my 2 cent

San Shou has it's place!

I like the idea of using a san shou platform to start the basics it is a great idea. It will be good to start with a realistic (actual contact) free fighting format. Then move to a model that has form etc... I think it will aid in application. To me there is nothing worse then to see a martialart demonstrated against a poor example of a technique.This will make sure that the skill challenges are of better quality! Some would consider that "keeping it real" LOL! If someone already has a martialarts back ground and can demonstrate the basics with good quality then they will have no issue testing out of it. It's a win - win for everyone!
    Last edited by Chango; 12-02-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks. Not trying to disrespect. Just curious. Also, these particular folks were tryting to get $200 bucks , fast out of me before I even partook in one class. They didnt really talk with me abut my goals or intentions, just plug me into the particular slot pay and pass go.

That is strange to hear, and I understand your concern. Typically we offer a free trial class for every potential new student. As for payments, usually it's just the monthly fee, and the cost of a T-shirt and/or sweat pants. Also, a brief but informative over-view of the program and their courses should be given. Thus allowing the potential student to know what exactly it is that they are signing up for.

If you are still interested in finding a Hung Fa Kwoon in your area, simply pm me or Chango, and one of us will be glad to get you sorted.

Best,

Alex
    Last edited by duende; 12-02-2008 at 12:10 PM.

duende and chango those were good straight answers, i have a simple question.
    Is there a standard grading system in HFY? Just as a refrence for non-members it would be good to know if there is Black Bel;ts or degrees etc.

Hey there Punch,

Like I mentioned earlier there is a standard grading system for instructors etc, but for regular members each school is given some latitude with belt levels and degrees.

By and large however, we all pretty much follow the same system belt system... with Blue representing SLT, Green for CK and so on.

Basically we have three individual form levels and three weapons levels. The form levels (SLT, CK, BG) each are divided into three sections. These sections incorporate two-man drills, conditioning sets, and skill challenges along with solo dummy forms to complement the material presented.

One thing to note, in HFY... progression and advancement is based on skill, not on a specified amount of time. Therefor it is not uncommon for a newer student to sometimes pass an older student if the newer student is able to apply the material being taught first.

Simple as that. However no student advances to the next level/belt/ranking unless they pass the skill challenges imposed on the level material being taught.

This is all discussed in much more detail on HFY108 which is open to the public.

Best,

Alex

sounds dodgy. Does that mean black belt is the weapons. In two years you have got to be joking. If you where doing 18 hour days maybe. But do they teach vt in the shan shou. Seems strange to do other stuff if you want vt. And the bit about any one who has done ma should be happy to 'test' it sounds a bit like a 'what are you chicken' thing. Just sounds like he want to learn vt and was going to be saying a lot to do other them he wanted

thanks for the reply Duende, it's good to make some things more public to avoid problems with fakes and imitations. I like variety and wish more was shared.

Your most welcome Punch. And I also like variety.

bennyvt,

How you came to those conclusions is really odd, but you are incorrect in all your assumptions.

HFY is not for everyone. And if learning WT in a closed environment without any interaction or awareness of other martial arts and their techniques is what you're after, then there are plenty of schools out there that will teach you all the forms and more in two years. HFY is just not one of them.

With that said, it is my strong belief that in order to apply your Wing Chun, you have to have experience testing yourself against non-wc fighters. This is not being dodgy, this is simply the reality of combat.

As for how long it takes to learn something... Like I mentioned earlier, it depends on the individual and how long it takes them personally to grow and experience the different seasons of learning.

If Cimaroon wants to try out a HFY school, my offer of help still stands. The rest is up to him.
    Last edited by duende; 12-03-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Your most welcome Punch. And I also like variety.

Bennyvt,

How you came to those conclusions is really odd, and you are incorrect in your assumptions.

HFY is not for everyone. And if learning WT in closed environment without any interaction or awareness of other martial arts and their techniques is what you're after, then there are plenty of schools out there that will teach you all the forms and more in two years. HFY is just not one of them.

With that said, it is my strong belief that in order to apply your Wing Chun, you have to have experience testing yourself against non-wc fighters. This is not being dodgy, this is simply the reality of combat.

As for how long it takes to learn something... Like I mentioned earlier, it depends on the individual and how long it takes them personally to grow and experience the different seasons of learning.

If Cimaroon wants to try out a HFY school, my offer of help still stands. The rest is up to him.
    Last edited by duende; 12-03-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Black belt relative a term

I think the "two year Black Belt" thing does not mean you will have a black belt in the Hung Fa Yi system. I think it was meant to express the amount of information that you will be exposed to and able to train.

Like I said almost all of my two year students not only compete at the black belt level in the sporting areana but I've had Black belts from other Martial arts assume that my two year students are sifu's themselves from discussions and exchanges. I think alot of WCK guys have had a simular experience given that WCK is a principle art and can deliver a great amount of understanding to those who work at it!