Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do all HFY schools teach the same...

So, does this mean HFY did or did not start with weapons originally?

Countless other styles start with weapons or introduce them very early in a training curriculum, especially those which are for combat.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12-08-2008 at 02:53 PM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Outside of niche communities who really does carry around bladed weapons or handguns? Not many people are living subsistence lifestyles, collecting firewood and water, hunting, etc.

So those styles which start with weapons are merely doing it for cultural and historic reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    P.S. Maybe instead of "Semiauto" being the endgame of blades, I should say "repeat loader?"
    Repeat shot weapons predate the creation of the style.

Not many people are living subsistence lifestyles, collecting firewood and water, hunting, etc
    Yeah, unless you count the several billion in the third world.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Repeat shot weapons predate the creation of the style.
    Really? Interesting.

Were they around in China? Were they widespread at the time of the style's development?

Maybe bladed weapons training took a backburner in certain countries with the advent of mass production... or laws banning their use in public?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Hey
    I was asking if the two year black belt thing and the describtion given by you guys if that meant a black belt was up to the weapons, thats pretty simple. An assumption would have been," weell you should be able to get a black belt in two years as you cant do the knives that early." I was simply asking a question

Talking to the average Joe!

I think in the case that we are discussing the term "Black belt" is used to comunicate to the average Joe looking for martial arts that He/She will be exposed to information and training that will allow them to be equivilant to the industry standard of a black belt. (I know this can be very subjective)

I think alot my fellow kung fu guys can relate when they go to a so-called open tournament and the Kwoon ranking is not honored in the same light as other belts such as the "black belts".

I've been accused of entering a black belt into color division when that student had only been training with me only 1 year and six months. Of course she is a very athletic person but the next time I went ahead and entered her as a black belt and she took first even against boys in all of her division (continuous and kick boxing) except forms! (of course)

I want to make clear that we don't judge a rank by competition levels. However this is just a example of how the term "Black belt" is used to comunicate to John Q public. I can understand why some would have a issue with this. But that's fine it's a free country take it or leave it. It's just a matter of personal choice. As long as your are doing martialarts I'm glad to see people keeping the energy going!

No this is not a reference as to when you start weapons training. I think alot of families have many different traditions as to when they start. I know in most cases I have not had anyone just walk in a say "teach me the knives". LOL! I can't say I would teach someone to use sharp weapons on the terms of just walkking in and saying that anyways! LOL!
    Last edited by Chango; 12-09-2008 at 01:21 AM.

cool man. It was just when he said the shaolin two year black belt it sounded weird. As i said i have no problem with the style just what the guy said sounded bad

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yeah, unless you count the several billion in the third world.
    Sure, and I bet they're debating whether they should change their martial arts curriculum.

I am sure that the reason why some systems have kept their training as "weapons first" is because there is still a prevalent weapons culture. The majority of posters on this board will be living in societies where there are laws banning the carrying and even ownership of weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The majority of posters on this board will be living in societies where there are laws banning the carrying and even ownership of weapons.
    Stand in a public place. Look at a person in front of you, a person to the left of you, a person to the right of you, and a person in back of you.

One or more of the five of you is armed.

Does the historical HFY progression introduce weapons at the start of the progression or soon after as is not done today?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12-09-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Stand in a public place. Look at a person in front of you, a person to the left of you, a person to the right of you, and a person in back of you.

One or more of the five of you is armed.
    In New York maybe. but in my overcrowded train full of city office workers here in Melbourne, I seriously doubt it.

Peter

Does the historical HFY progression introduce weapons at the start of the progression or soon after as is not done today?
    According to our history, weapons were originally taught first. But this was not uncommon, in fact many other TCMA's (both North and South) taught weapons first.

For more info check out:

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510

One important thing to consider in weapons training however, is to be aware that many training weapons today are constructed very poorly.

In recent years, we have had not one, but two MA schools in the bay area get shut down due to accidents that occurred while training with weapons that did not hold up during training. One such case was where a blade separated and flew off from it's handle and injured an observing student on the sidelines.

The injured student then sued both the KF school he attended and the store where the sword was purchased. Shut them both down.

Just an fyi.
    Last edited by duende; 12-09-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    According to our history, weapons were originally taught first. But this was not uncommon, in fact many other TCMA's (both North and South) taught weapons first.
    Does this historical aspect predate the galvanization of HFY into a distinct methodology?

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    One important thing to consider in weapons training however, is to be aware that many training weapons today are constructed very poorly.
    It is doubtful a group of peasant farmer/insurgents in a region not known for blacksmith skills or high quality ore had access to quality training weapons, either.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12-10-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Does this historical aspect predate the galvanization of HFY into a distinct methodology?
    Tom, it's obvious you're now just trolling. You even asked your question regarding HFY and weapons a second time withint 24 hours, when your first went unanswered. Wasn't alex's answers good enough?

It is doubtful a group of peasant farmer/insurgents in a region not known for blacksmith skills or high quality ore had access to quality training weapons, either.
    Yeah, and the pole is such an ineffective and hard weapon to make....

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Tom, it's obvious you're now just trolling. You even asked your question regarding HFY and weapons a second time withint 24 hours, when your first went unanswered. Wasn't alex's answers good enough?
    Having a simple question answered (as he more or less did in his last post) and my asking a follow up question is hardly trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Yeah, and the pole is such an ineffective and hard weapon to make....

Woodworking is not the same skill as blacksmithing and trees aren't the same natural resource as iron.

Regardless, it is quite an interesting paradox that an art which purportedly has a link to insurgency tactics would specifically choose to use such an impractical weapon as the long pole, which was already outdated for the time of its adoption.