Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on finding new kwoon

advice on finding new kwoon

I am in the process of searching for a new place to study. I went through this process last year and feel like a made a poor decision. Looking back, I placed my schedule on the forefront in regards to making a choice and sacrificed the best instruction available to me. I am also in the process of rethinking my priorities in regards to training and rededicating myself to it by rearranging some things in my schedule so I can get the best instruction possible this go around. I do have a few good options out there. I have found some quality instruction at reasonable rates, but also have the opportunity to study privately with my former sifu who is over three hours away. Any suggestions on what specifically to look for in a kung fu school would be much appreciated. It seems all the advice published out there is in regards to karate and TKD. Kung Fu is a different animal...no pun intended in regards to styles. Also, anyone who has trained long distance with someone, I would also appreciate your input as well. Thanks to all for your time.

First question would be "where are you?"

after that, we look at what's in your proximity and narrow it down to who is the consensually agreed upon best choice as an instructor for you based upon your goals.

You wanna learn to fight and all taht goes with it? You wanna compete? You wanna practice anything besides martial arts in your training? (cultural stuff like lion dance or meditative practice like zen etc).

Finally, you do realize that you can achieve kungfu in any martial art. You have to work at it. Karate or TKD are just as good as anything else when approached with the right mind, attitude and perspicacity. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

While I don't disagree with Mr. Jamieson, I am biased so, Get up to BG and workout with us!

for sure your goals are going to be a the majore deciding factor to where you may want to find yourself training.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Finally, you do realize that you can achieve kungfu in any martial art. You have to work at it. Karate or TKD are just as good as anything else when approached with the right mind, attitude and perspicacity. :-)
    "That depends"....
    Just what do you mean by "kungfu"?

In regards to kung fu, I am referring to a traditional Chinese martial art such as Hung Gar, Wing Chun, etc. I am more interested in the philosophies involved with such systems compared to those found in Japanese or Korean arts for example. I understand you can find the "hard work" in all of these, but CMA is where my interests truly are.

Then the biggest question to answer so far, is what's you location or what's in your area that's not 3 hours away?
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    "That depends"....
    Just what do you mean by "kungfu"?
    I mean in the most literal sense of the term.

As in , skill acquired over time through effort.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I mean in the most literal sense of the term.

As in , skill acquired over time through effort.
    why even bring that up? Sure, it's the literal translation, and you can achieve Kung-Fu in anything. A master chef has achieved Kung-Fu.

However, it is an accepted term used both in the west as well as in Hong Kong and China, and not simply a slang term as many like to maintain. That argument usually comes from people like Fred Villari and others, who like to claim knowledge of Chinese Martial Arts and culture, yet have had no real experience.
    The point is, it is clearly not what peaceandlove was asking, and I think everyone is aware of this.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    why even bring that up? Sure, it's the literal translation, and you can achieve Kung-Fu in anything. A master chef has achieved Kung-Fu.

However, it is an accepted term used both in the west as well as in Hong Kong and China, and not simply a slang term as many like to maintain. That argument usually comes from people like Fred Villari and others, who like to claim knowledge of Chinese Martial Arts and culture, yet have had no real experience.
    The point is, it is clearly not what peaceandlove was asking, and I think everyone is aware of this.
    I didn't bring it up.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

no, you didn't bring it up, you simply jumped on it.
    ok, doesn't matter. Let's not get sidetracked.
    The issue is trying to find a solution to peaceandlove's problem of finding a school.
    P&L-where are you located? Without this, nobody can make any suggestions.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    no, you didn't bring it up, you simply jumped on it.
    ok, doesn't matter. Let's not get sidetracked.
    The issue is trying to find a solution to peaceandlove's problem of finding a school.
    P&L-where are you located? Without this, nobody can make any suggestions.
    True nuff, the P&L are key to helping this person find a place to train.

However, for the sake pf posterity, I don't think answering someone's question is "jumping on it" lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

However, for the sake pf posterity, I don't think answering someone's question is "jumping on it" lol.
    "for the sake of posterity?" is that like another way of saying,"Last tag?"
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thanks to everyone who is taking time to respond to my thread. I guess I am looking for advice in general in regards to martial arts schools and sifus. I live near a very metropolitan area, and our yellow pages are full of just about everything MA you can think of. I have a wide variety of training halls available to me from karate, kung fu, TKD, and MMA. I'm not so much asking about a specific location or sifu, but just advice on what you look for in a school and what you have found both positive and negative. Many of the standard brochures, etc. on this issue are geared mainly towards children and their parents. I'm hoping my fellow martial arts folks can give me some insight based on their experiences from an adult who is training perspective. Any red flag type stuff would be helpful. Also, I'm am interested in hearing from those who train long distance with a sifu. How does that usually work and have you gotten a lot of benefit from it? If so, how? Once again, thanks to everyone for their time and help. Be well.

when you visit a school pay attention to its students. look for the more advanced students and watch how they interact with each other and those they are teaching. ask how often the school spars, and what types of sparring they do.

if your goals are geared with fighting in mind. check out what they do for conditioning. how open minded are the people there. do you feel a cultish quality?

keep an eye out on people trying to get you to sign a long contract. not always bad, but it can land you in a tight spot if you later find out the school is kind of a sham.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.