Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst BJJ Coach ever

Furthermore the guys in the cage matches stop choking if the other guy taps!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Furthermore the guys in the cage matches stop choking if the other guy taps!
    No, the referee usually stops the guy from choking the other guy.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Fair enough. Point is that chokes rarely go until the other guy passes out.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Video got taken down. But generally, only an insecure teacher would hurt their student. My experience in BJJ has been one of more advanced people toying with me... purposely ****ing up to train me to flow into better positions, giving me submissions.

I had a teacher strike me out of frustration once and it was the end of our relationship. Not because it hurt, scared or bothered me. But because it revealed he didn't have the solution to the problem I was facing.... and couldn't be honest with either of us about it.

I respect a man, and especially a teacher, who can admit when they don't know. It gives much more credence to the other things they have taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It is something that should never be practiced other than to show the position and technique. The sleeper is different from a choke in that the choke cuts off the air supply, but the sleeper stops the flow of blood to the brain. I can render a person completely unconscious in only 4 seconds. Anything beyond that can cause serious problems.
    Judo has been applying blood chokes for over 100 years and BJJ has been doing so for almost as long with no adverse consequences.

Agreed. But not based on a teacher who continues to apply the choke until the student actually passes out.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Judo has been applying blood chokes for over 100 years and BJJ has been doing so for almost as long with no adverse consequences.
    ridiculous statement. rendering someone unconcious via stoppage of blood to the brain is dangerous and can in some cases cause death. I'm sure that you, nor anyone else here has the stats on how many people have suffered from brain damage or death from the application of these choke holds.

also, RESPECT THE TAP.

That asshat in the white GI is NOT doing so and ergo is a crappy instructor and should be stripped of his entitlement to teach. Go compete and then get turfed from that venue for not respecting the rules.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ridiculous statement. rendering someone unconcious via stoppage of blood to the brain is dangerous and can in some cases cause death. I'm sure that you, nor anyone else here has the stats on how many people have suffered from brain damage or death from the application of these choke holds.
    you are WRONG (again)

http://www.judoinfo.com/chokes6.htm
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Actually, I believe Judo organizations keep track of this and have published reports that no one has ever been killed from a choke in a judo competition (looks like lkfmdc beat me to it. I also know firsthand that there has never been a fatal choking incident in a BJJ competition.

That being said, I understand that, obviously, a choke held too long can cause brain damage or death.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 12-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Just Because You Can...

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I fail to see the practicality of choking someone all the way out during practice. Common sense should tell even the most naive newbie to Judo or BJJ that they do not want to let themselves be caught in a choke. If someone plans on saying, "Well they'll know how it feels to get choked out." are you also saying that instructors should knock out their students as well, just for the experience. Like I said, I'm all for training hard and with a decent amount of realism but come on...
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

2 separate issues

1. Yes, respect the tap, and don't choke students out

but

2. Chokese are NOT life threatening and brain damaging....

I've been choked out once by an instructor. It was a triangle I thought I was capable of escaping so I did not tap. My instructor told me when I came to that I was only out for a few seconds and he let off the moment I went limp. He also told me to quit sleeping during class.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    dude!? what are you talking about tehre are cases of recorded deaths right there on that page!!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

reading those reports what jumps out is

"when properly applied"

i highly doubt humans have always done everything exactly right all the time.

in the history of 'choke holds' im sure 1 guy did it wrong and F'd someone up in the process.

thats along the lines of humanity. i dont have a paper that says so, but it would be pretty much common sense to expect at least 1 bad situation in the history of choking people out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.