Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst BJJ Coach ever

also

"No fatalities as a result of shime-waza have been reported"

whats key in that statement?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    2 separate issues

1. Yes, respect the tap, and don't choke students out

but

2. Chokese are NOT life threatening and brain damaging....
    You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Furthermore you have RND'd the correct to unconsciousness.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

the facts being, in sporting events, both fighters, and the judges, as well as the ref are all properly trained, and aware of what is happening and in control of the situation. this being the reason no fatilities have ever been reported. people are doing things right

its during improper training, real life situations. IE cops/bouncers/streetfights is when the problems and deaths occur.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I don't quite understand the recent change in argument... are we unclear as to whether not respecting the tap is a cowardly and di(ky thing to do, or that a submission taken to its extreme can fu(k someone up. I've been doing BJJ for about two years now. I've already broken my clavicle, tore the $hit out of my chest/upper shoulder and am nursing a double golf ball size ding on my shin stopping a crazed newbies from taking the corner and passing my guard.

Of course we can all hurt each other. I know going in that I can break everyone's arm in class except one guy, my teacher. I tap like I'm playing the drums with him. Sometimes someone gets a little nutty during drills, making things difficult, you slap a couple quick submissions on them during free play to make the point and things settle on their own. That's why I love BJJ so much. The drama takes care of itself.

I hurt someone the other day who didn't tap. He screamed and I let go. He was being aggressive, was a little larger and younger than me so... I did nothing wrong but was embarrassed about it and told him so later. I have more experience than him. I should have been able to finish the kimura with steady pressure. Ride the tap. He was resisting, using strength so I exploded into it. And since he was riding me in half guard with side control for five minutes I was a little eager for pay back.

It happens. Unintentional damage is part of the game. We're all competitive. Intentionally hurting anyone, particularly a training partner, is just week and pathetic and a sign of someone who isn't experienced, mixing it up. Experienced guys understand what a drag an injury is. How it feels to miss out training.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I don't quite understand the recent change in argument... .
    It was in response to this dumba$$ post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It is something that should never be practiced other than to show the position and technique.

Uhhhh loss of oxygen can cause brain damage, and potentially kill the person. Where the **** do some of you knuckleheads get your information????? Search here on KFO as an off duty cop in NY recently was killed via a mata leo!

Ray -
    Dude, if you are that banged up you need to observe and change one, or both, of the following:
    1- With whom, and where you are training.
    2 - How you are approaching free rolling and your personal training.

Quite simply with good coach(es), good training partners, an absence of ego, and a smidge of common sense you should incur many injuries at all, and avoid most of the serious ones.

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Quite simply with good coach(es), good training partners, an absence of ego, and a smidge of common sense you should incur many injuries at all, and avoid most of the serious ones.

Jake
    Yeah, but you know as well as anyone that some injuries just happen. I've had a popped rib (from knee on belly), a popped ankle (did it to myself doing a triangle), torn knee minscus, and numerous dings and cuts over the last 3 years.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Certainly. Perhaps I spoke to general. Injuries happen, but the list Ray has for just 2 years!?!?! Seems a bit to me. Just trying to be helpful, not a smartass (for once).
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

it comes in waves for me

ill have long bouts of little to no injuries, then in a few months i bust/dislocate/tear/jam a few things. but then it is pretty much always been from sparring.

maybe theres a pattern....

Uhhhh loss of oxygen can cause brain damage, and potentially kill the person.
    True. But it's not like we're falling through ice and getting trapped under water for 20 minutes. And most of the submissions attack joints or blood flow to the brain. It's quicker. As a surfer I can go some time without air. Not only am I used to it, I have trained myself to stay relaxed to conserve more of it.

Dude, if you are that banged up you need to observe and change one, or both, of the following:
    1- With whom, and where you are training.
    2 - How you are approaching free rolling and your personal training.

I didn't even know the clavicle was broke until I got the tore chest x-rayed in Sept.
    Both happened at Renzos. Both were my fault.

First time I came up last Dec. to train like a mad man 10 days before a fight. I had no training for 10 months having moved down to PR and not in the know yet. That approach was dumb and just asking for an injury. I didn't tap on an Americana, I felt something pop but it didn't hurt until the next day. Four days before my fight. I learned I could fight in pain.

The tore chest happened in Dec. Better trained, a little ****y, I played with my friend who is a 260lbs black belt. He just crushed me in side control and I didn't want to tao from that. I don't think that's a legit submission, is it? But it turned out to be. I tapped and iced my **** and popped pain killers for a week.

My knee is a little banged up right now.... though I think that's from surfing. The body is great. It lets you play hard and repairs itself. Can't say the same for my surfboards and truck.

I respect the take it easy approach to training and you shouldn't be getting hurt often, but I'm training hard. I'm fighting. A decent injury every 12 months or so sounds abot right.

You really need to hold onto a choke for a very long time to cause brain damage, I recall reading that its about 10-15 seconds AFTER the loss of conciousness, but don't hold me to that.
    The worse result I have ever seen in all my years of training from a choke is the loss of bladder/rectum control and even that is rare, since smart people do their business before class/competition.
    Chokes can kill and they can cause brain damage, BUT only if it's done on purpose and there is no supervision.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Guys, I can put reems of stuff in a post about why choking other people is bad. BUt I won't because it would be redundant. I think that it should be obvious to anyone with a lick of sense that it is not a safe activity.

Getting back to the clip.

The guy in the white gi is NOT respecting the tap and is in a training situation. ergo he is not worthy of instructing and probably shouldn't be wearing that coveted belt.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Now...Back To The OT

I didn't think the point of this thread was to debate rather or not choking someone out could possibly cause injury. I think for most that observation would fall into the category of..."Duh". I think the point of the clip was to show that instructor is an ass hat that is not teaching correctly. I'm thinking MK posted it as a kind of PSA concerning what type of training not to do...but I could be wrong.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Chokes can kill and they can cause brain damage, BUT only if it's done on purpose and there is no supervision.
    I guess it sucks extra bad when your supervisor is the one choking you unconscious, huh?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I guess it sucks extra bad when your supervisor is the one choking you unconscious, huh?
    I don't know, some people pay good money for that, some people enjoy it a lot more than they should.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !