Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Couple articles about Cung

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Ive always wondered why people never used side kicks in MMA. of course the answer would be that its 'to risky' or 'not high enough success ratio'

of course all that means is not many have tried, out of fear of getting owned of course.

but cung shows us its very possible, and also very effective.

i remember it was his 2nd or 3rd mma fight where he just kept feeding the guy sidekicks, then got a TKO with a roundhouse to the body....side kick of course wearing down the guys body for the rh.

i vote for a cung thread for sure. hes my fav!
    The majority of people in MMA come from MT or have MT as their striking art and while MT does have the Side kick, it isn't trained as much as the round, the round being more "versatile".
    The ones that use it will typically have TKD backgrounds or old timer KB backgrounds.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

actually, real muay thai just considers it a push kick.
    if you watch kaoklai, the way he throws his push kick is like a toes-up side kick.

muay thai folks use the push kick as much as sanshou people use the side kick, maybe more.
    it's their jab - a range finder, a counter, a distance-keeper.

I don't know that anybody uses it as a serious ko kick.
    it causes damage, but not usually a fight ender.

in mma you got guys with "mma stand up".
    They just focus on what works well in an mma match instead of learning the art from the ground up.
    many drop the push kick because they consider it easy to catch and be taken down.
    a lot focus on "fight enders" - the higher ko %age moves.
    some folks jab, but it's considered less risky than push/side kicks.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

My kicks are never pushes, one time I side kicked a guy in the face and his head came right off !!
    True Story !

what ever man. i was there and i distinctly remember it being attached by a flap of skin in the back.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

...nearly headless? you need to work on your kicks more...I always kick them clean off...

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

side kick

i think it's part of what I see happening little by little: everyone is getting used to the status quo and for those that have a little bit deeper tool box it's an opportunity to utilize something unexpected. BJJ dominated the early UFC until everyone got on the band wagon and did some grapple training and now there is a better baseline of skills all around.

most people train that baseline of skills and when you do that you get used to certain methods of attacks and defenses.

what I honestly don't get is why it appears that Cung's opponents are reluctant to close with him...i mean, yea, he hits and kicks hard and has great ability to stay at the range he likes but still, seem like someone would have taken him down good at some point...is he being sheltered from higher level grapplers till he or his trainers thinks he's up to speed on the ground?

and, ftr, I like him a lot too...i'm not attacking him, I think he's a great example of what happens when someone with a high level of skill and a different set of skills comes in to the game.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    is he being sheltered from higher level grapplers till he or his trainers thinks he's up to speed on the ground?.
    There is some talk that perhaps people were offered bonuses to keep it standing.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    There is some talk that perhaps people were offered bonuses to keep it standing.
    Actually, you will notice that there is far more stand up in MMA nowadays than there ever has been.
    Fact is, stand up is more exciting for the fans and as such, I am sure there are "suggestions" on the part of the people running these things to keep it standing as long as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Actually, you will notice that there is far more stand up in MMA nowadays than there ever has been.
    That's because they adjust the rules to benefit stand-up guys.

Fact is, stand up is more exciting for the fans and as such, I am sure there are "suggestions" on the part of the people running these things to keep it standing as long as you can.
    Elite XC offered Petruzulli a bonus to keep the Kimbo fight standing because they were trying to build name brands to get the business running. I wouldn't be surprised if Cung's opponents got the same deal.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Cung's opponents are reluctant to close with him

You're forgetting that Cung's roots are in sanshou. Sanshou is all about takedowns. You score points for takedowns. Accordingly, any sanshou player worth his salt trains evasions for takedowns. Sure, we're all eager to see Cung's ground game, but you got to get too him first, and given his sanshou background, that's no easy task.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You're forgetting that Cung's roots are in sanshou. Sanshou is all about takedowns. You score points for takedowns. Accordingly, any sanshou player worth his salt trains evasions for takedowns. Sure, we're all eager to see Cung's ground game, but you got to get too him first, and given his sanshou background, that's no easy task.
    I'm not forgetting anything. I think San Shou is the best format to train striking for MMA because of the throws.

but you know who else trains takedowns? Wrestlers. Their whole style is based around it. And they get taken down all the time.

I like Cung. I want Cung to succeed in MMA. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if his MMA opponent's were offered a bonus to keep it standing.

wrestlers arent getting punched and kicked in the head tho either.

i dont know either way if this is cungs opponents were promted to keep it up. i believe that frank and cung had an agreement to keep it standing, and we saw where that got frank.

personally i think that cungs sanshou and wrestling background are going to make it really hard for guys to take him down, unless they are really, really good. also the time frame between cungs fights, the guys hes fought, and the outcomes are giving him a lot of time to work his bjj.

at this point it can go either way for me. whether it was all cungs skill at keeping it standing, or if there was an agreement, ( i kind of doubt, because in each match there were take down attempts that cung either countered, shut down, or got back to his feet quickly) it just goes to his benefit in giving him much needed time to get better at bjj. hes had a good amount of time to get better at bjj, and i think he will suprise people when he does get taken to the ground game. hes good at what he does, which is fighting. it only makes sense that he would pick up bjj pretty well.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    to be clear about what I meant:

i spent a little while last weekend watching several (not all) of the clips of Le on NBC's website.

fwiw, and imho, it seemed like there were plenty of opportunities to enter the clinching range that were not taken by Le's opponents.

while Le may have good to great takedown D, is it better than his striking offense? given everything, including the evidence from his fights, it just seems that there would have at least been more ATTEMPTS to get inside his excellent long and mid-range striking.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    to be clear about what I meant:

i spent a little while last weekend watching several (not all) of the clips of Le on NBC's website.

fwiw, and imho, it seemed like there were plenty of opportunities to enter the clinching range that were not taken by Le's opponents.

while Le may have good to great takedown D, is it better than his striking offense? given everything, including the evidence from his fights, it just seems that there would have at least been more ATTEMPTS to get inside his excellent long and mid-range striking.
    I agree with you on that. i feel that both are possibilities. cungs undefeated ss record, mix that with his ss fighting skills and wrestling skills, gives him a somewhat powerful reputation and skillset. plus he hits like a truck. mix that with the general calabre of fighters he was up against. not that the guys arent good, but he has way more experience, as being an undefeated fighter in a circuit. we all know that with frank they wanted to keep it up, but i do remember when frank DID go for a takedown, cung stuffed it back in his face.

also, if there were agreements to keep it standing, this ALSO would work in cungs favor in regard to him being able to more thoroughly develop his BJJ for future matches.