Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application of this Longfist Technique?

Application of this Longfist Technique?

At .55 seconds, the stepping with the hands extended, one in front, one in back.

You see this in a lot of long fist forms, but I've never really heard a sound explanation of the intent of this move.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGyGwy38dM
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

at 0:55 (fify five)? or 0.55 (0 point 55). Either way, I don't see what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    at 0:55 (fify five)? or 0.55 (0 point 55). Either way, I don't see what you are describing.
    Sorry, at 26 seconds.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Do you mean the movement shown when the person in the vid is in pu bu with a crane hand or hooking hand behind and the other hand over the foot, or the movement either side of it i.e just b4 or just after ?
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home View Post
    Do you mean the movement shown when the person in the vid is in pu bu with a crane hand or hooking hand behind and the other hand over the foot, or the movement either side of it i.e just b4 or just after ?
    The walking after the posture with the hands extended. 27 seconds to 30 seconds.

Notice after he rises from the pu bu there is a push with the right hand, then his right leg rises up with a a hooking motion to lift his opponents leg, this can be a throwing action, or if you change the left hook to a grab, after lifting the opponents leg he pulls it back, and tries to withdraw, you follow, by keeping the left hand grabbing, your right hand is either pushing into him or he has grabbed it. the stepping is to follow and enter and then step through his legs to push, there are many variables to apply.

That's about as clear as mud but hope it helps
    Kune Belay Sau

He's running away from the guy with the guan dao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home View Post
    Notice after he rises from the pu bu there is a push with the right hand, then his right leg rises up with a a hooking motion to lift his opponents leg, this can be a throwing action, or if you change the left hook to a grab, after lifting the opponents leg he pulls it back, and tries to withdraw, you follow, by keeping the left hand grabbing, your right hand is either pushing into him or he has grabbed it. the stepping is to follow and enter and then step through his legs to push, there are many variables to apply.

That's about as clear as mud but hope it helps
    I concur with this interpretation
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He's trying to catch up with his sound effects by pushing a little wave of 'Whhooosh'. If he catches up he goes supersonic and it's like a fuel air bomb.

And I thought wing chun was gay...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Enter on a 45. take the opponents foot out, and turn him with the palm. Now step through his space and he will fall down with almost no effort. The rest of the steps are follow thru to clear you out of the zone when you are done.

Not a fan of much of the Longfist I have seen. That type of application is questionable at best in my book. If it works for others though, I am more than happy to let them have their cake
    -Golden Arms-

Although I love the forms, I am not too much into the Moslem Long Fist styles myself. I really like the Old school Shaolin Long Fist though. it's uglier, but much more direct in it's function in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    He's running away from the guy with the guan dao.
    Agree'd. This is by far the best explanation for that technique.

Greetings,

While there are definitely applications that take place before the walking step, I have always seen that move as a means to create space for the next line of techniques in the opposite direction. The form may have originally had a longer practice line; i.e., the walking step concises the form into a smaller space. If you remove that move, you may arrive at what the original form really looked like; again, a very long line of techniques, justifying the term "Long Fist."

mickey

Hello all.

I'm a bit new to this forum and feel privileged to be here with all of you. The technique you speak of is called xing (hsing) bu. It is a basic footwork pattern within several styles categorized as longfist, but is most prominent in meihuazhuang (plum flower boxing). The technique is used primarily for escape and withdrawal according to several sources (to include Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming). The hands are extended out in both directions in order to create a sense of expanded awareness. I am not at all an authority. This is what I've read and have learned in instructional videos. But I hope it helps.

Namaste