Thread: Starting out in Wing Chun

Starting out in Wing Chun

Hi

After my Lau Gar school folded last November I've been learning Wing Chun in Preston, England. The club is affiliated to the Samuel Kwok Martial Arts Association. I'm settling in well and enjoying it and just now getting to grips with Siu Lim Tao.

I just wanted to say hello and I'm glad there is a Wing Chun forum here for our discussions.

TinTin_57

Quote Originally Posted by TinTin_57 View Post
    Hi

After my Lau Gar school folded last November I've been learning Wing Chun in Preston, England. The club is affiliated to the Samuel Kwok Martial Arts Association. I'm settling in well and enjoying it and just now getting to grips with Siu Lim Tao.

I just wanted to say hello and I'm glad there is a Wing Chun forum here for our discussions.

TinTin_57
    Welcome to the forum. I have heard very good things about Samuel Kwok. I even have his latest book which I love. I hope that your training is long and fruitfull.

Take care,

HW108

Good luck in your training..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Hi

TinTin_57
    this is where my family and I are from originally, who do you train with?

there are some very, VERY good people who live in the area but only practice together and teach privately

the ones i know of were students from the Lee Shing lineage through Joseph Cheng to John Darwen (sp?) who was my fathers instructor (my Dad was my first teacher)

pm me if you want to know more

all the best

David

Thanks for these welcomes.

David, My teacher is Stephen Rigby and we are based at the Fylde Road Martial Arts Centre in Preston.

Hardwork108, I also bought the Mastering Wing Chun Book by Samuel Kwok and I've been reading it in the downtime over the holiday period. 1st lesson back tonight, looking forward to it.

David, My teacher is Stephen Rigby and we are based at the Fylde Road Martial Arts Centre in Preston.

Hardwork108, I also bought the Mastering Wing Chun Book by Samuel Kwok and I've been reading it in the downtime over the holiday period. 1st lesson back tonight, looking forward to it.
    Get Master Kwok's DVD's if you can, they will be of great value to you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Smile

Hi

TinTin_57
    Hello,

How do you find making the transition between the styles?
    To Ah Mui with love.

Cat Nap, I've found the transition ok. A lot of what I did in Lau Gar is already in Wing Chun. I'm tempted to say that Lau Gar has took a lot of Wing Chun into it's style and not the other way around. The Siu Lim Tao is very very similar to the 2nd form in Lau Gar. I would say at my beginner level I'm wanting to add moves to Siu Lim Tao that I have in my mind from the Lau Gar form!! It will come naturally over time.

Are you also thinking of making a switch? I haven't looked back.

No, I'm not making the switch. I'm curious because Alexander Fu Sheng used to study this style for his film roles:

http://home.clara.net/firstuniversal/fusheng.html

In Disciples of Shaolin, the opening is all a Hung Gar form and it looks like a hard style for me. In Wing Chun, relaxation is the key for all our movements (which is hard to do!) and really essential. I imagine it would be similar because for all Kung Fu styles, the root is the same, but Hung Gar seems to use a lot more force so I wondered about the transitition for you. Someday, I'd like to try it for a month or two, if I ever have the money, because I love all martial art styles and I'm just really interested. But for now, JKD and Wing Chun is my only focus, especially Wing Chun as I love it best. Thanks for the info.
    To Ah Mui with love.

Hi, new to posting here but have been reading the boards for a while.

TinTin, I train in the North East but went along to Stephens class when I was visiting someone over there, he was a really nice guy and his wing chun seemed good.

Samuel Kwok is awesome!!!
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_warrior8 View Post
    Samuel Kwok is awesome!!!
    I'm looking forward to meeting him. His school is only around 15 miles from us in Blackpool and our Sifu said from time to time we go up there to train with him for the experience

Quote Originally Posted by PC28 View Post
    Hi, new to posting here but have been reading the boards for a while.

TinTin, I train in the North East but went along to Stephens class when I was visiting someone over there, he was a really nice guy and his wing chun seemed good.
    PC28, yeah I agree. He's made the move to Wing Chun for me a pleasant one and his demontrations and teachings in class are very good.

PC28, yeah I agree. He's made the move to Wing Chun for me a pleasant one and his demontrations and teachings in class are very good.
    I liked the relaxed atmosphere too. I got to do a little chi sau with him and he had a softer feel than Im used to, I had a good discussion with one of the older guys there, I dont remember his name unfotunately but he'd trained for a number of years, he also did Aikido I think?

Mention me next time youre in, see if they can remember training with the guy from Newcastle not that long ago!