Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Wing Chun?

Why Wing Chun?

My old sifu was quite good at Wing Chun, but that was not the main focus of his teachings. I did enjoy "playing hands" and working on the first form which I believe translates into "Little Idea." Please forgive me if I am wrong on that. I'm trying to think of info from over a year ago. Anyway, I have recently visited two Wing Chun teachers and have enjoyed the applications from this style. I wish the training contained more physical conditioning though. Is it normal to not have cardio training? My main point of this thread though is to hear feedback on why my fellow CMA practitioners chose Wing Chun as their main system of study. Also, I was wondering if you cross train in any other styles or conditioning methods. Thank you for the upcoming feedback.

Some schools have cardio and do not. For me What I'm looking for is a good W.C. not a cardio program. I do that on my own time why waste time doing that in class.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Myself I believe you have to mix it up with all styles and levels of M.A. to test out your stuff and see what works and what does not. W.C has has the answers if you look hard enough you'lll find it. Why I chose W.C. was simple reason. I found it to be a very practical M.A.
    Last edited by stonecrusher69; 12-04-2008 at 06:47 AM.

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

We rarely do any cardio training, but that doesn't bother me as I can do that away from class. We get some physical training in class from doing the forms but it's not your typical TKD workout, that's for sure.

It used to bother me, but I'm more interested in using the class to improve my technique. All the other stuff like cardio, strength, speed etc you can develop on your own.

Time is precious. In class, you've got lots of people to train with, perform drills with, Chi Sau with, spar with, etc. That's where the time should be spent, IMO. Do your roadwork at home.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I pretty much agree with everyone else here. I do my weight training and "cardio" (not aerobic - anaerobic) at home. I am also not training for the Lei Tai or the ring (or at least not yet). I also have no misconceptions that my non-MA training outside the kwoon would necessarily prepare me for the rigors of competition fighting.

However, our school does promote a "MMA Conditioning" course that I have never attended. I like the fact that it is available once I become more skilled/confident though.

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    Is it normal to not have cardio training? My main point of this thread though is to hear feedback on why my fellow CMA practitioners chose Wing Chun as their main system of study. Also, I was wondering if you cross train in any other styles or conditioning methods. Thank you for the upcoming feedback.
    The intensity at which you train your Wing Chun SHOULD BE YOUR CONDITIONING! i.e. if you are not pushing yourself hard, then it ain't worth doing.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

i dont think i chose wing chun as much as i chose the teacher, but i enjoyed the style enough to continue, and when i left the school i thought i should stay on the same path for awhile,

with me its more the sifu than the style

at this point in my journey, i know most styles have something, but i would rather work with an amazing sifu in a style i never heard of than work with a mediocre sifu in a style i love
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    i would rather work with an amazing sifu in a style i never heard of than work with a mediocre sifu in a style i love
    Amen brother

Couldn't care less how good the teacher is. The issue is how good can he make me. Looking good and teaching good are different things.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Couldn't care less how good the teacher is. The issue is how good can he make me. Looking good and teaching good are different things.

You have a very humble and rare attitude about martial arts. Good for you. I had an instructor once who wasn't a great fighter, but he was a great teacher and a decent fighter.

People would come in the school from other styles/lineages and 'tag' him in chi sao or some other drill. It was a petty way for them to feel big cause they 'hit' the instructor, even though it was a static drill or not a fighting exercise.

If in martial arts we only learned from physically able teachers, what would happen when the skill of such people begin to deteriorate should they succumb to age and the effects of osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

My point is that great fighters don't remain great. The greatness of their fighting ability withers with age. However, the power of their mind, their faculties to discern between effective an ineffective and their ability to draw out the most potential from their non-fighter students is what matters.

It's not a humble attitude. It is pragmatic and based on the people who have taken their wisdom and experience to help me in Wing Chun and Non-Classical Gung Fu.

Suki Gosal

Suki

There are many components to a great teacher, yes? teacher and molding students is probably the most important aspect.

In other areas of life I have found that the best teachers have walked the walk,

one individual i greatly respects tells me when he can longer train what he teaches, he will no longer teach it.

what are your thoughts?
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    [I]

one individual i greatly respects tells me when he can longer train what he teaches, he will no longer teach it.

what are your thoughts?
    I am going on 52.
    I know I am not training for the cage, or the ring
    I may need self-defense, but it will be a very rare occaision if at all
    there will no longer be testosterone-induced fronting leading to fights
    although I am in great shape, I probably shouldn't spar or grapple heavily
    But, I still learn, train, roll, and spar
    and teach.
    One of my Sifu/friends is 75 yrs old.
    He still has a great deal to share with me.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I am going on 52.
    I know I am not training for the cage, or the ring
    I may need self-defense, but it will be a very rare occaision if at all
    there will no longer be testosterone-induced fronting leading to fights
    although I am in great shape, I probably shouldn't spar or grapple heavily
    But, I still learn, train, roll, and spar
    and teach.
    One of my Sifu/friends is 75 yrs old.
    He still has a great deal to share with me.
    I agree..even if say the sifu can't do what he used to do back in the day he still has that experience that can't be replaced. Like a great coach who's seen and done it all.