Thread: Shameless Bragging (sort of) and Self-Promotion (kinda)

Shameless Bragging (sort of) and Self-Promotion (kinda)

So I just found out the other day that my BJJ match with Jacob McClintock in the 2008 Brown Belt QtrFinals at the Pan-Ams made the "Best of" DVD. That's kind of cool. Somebody even put an animated GIF up of a sweep I did on Sherdog. Incidentally, some people wondered how I did that sweep, and I have no idea. I think my hand controlling the knee was keeping his leg grip hand pinned in preventing the post. Other than that, no clue.

FWIW, I lost that match in the last minute via Triangle. I think I may have been up on points until then. I don't really know or remember.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/pa...8-gifs-840671/

That was a really good tournament for me. I lost that day, but made a couple of guys vomit from conditioning.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    So I just found out the other day that my BJJ match with Jacob McClintock in the 2008 Brown Belt QtrFinals at the Pan-Ams made the "Best of" DVD. That's kind of cool. Somebody even put an animated GIF up of a sweep I did on Sherdog. Incidentally, some people wondered how I did that sweep, and I have no idea. I think my hand controlling the knee was keeping his leg grip hand pinned in preventing the post. Other than that, no clue.

FWIW, I lost that match in the last minute via Triangle. I think I may have been up on points until then. I don't really know or remember.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/pa...8-gifs-840671/

That was a really good tournament for me. I lost that day, but made a couple of guys vomit from conditioning.
    Well done dude !!
    Congratulations on your success !!
    You smell terrific !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Congrats. I didn't know your level was so high. I had no idea in those days when I was too busy arguing against BJJ.

The video was too slow or frozen on my end. Do you have video? I'd love to see your jiu-jitsu.

I'm competing in San Juan at Flavio Behring's tournament next Sat.... white belt gi and no gi and absolutes just for $hits giggles. I already know there are two purple belts I can't touch. But having a blast. And learning. Arm bars and sweeps are my things. Working on a triangle but I rarely finish them.

Ray,

Don't count yourself out against the purple belts. I was in the team trials for U.S. vs Canada (to be on the U.S. team), when I was a new purple belt against Shawn Williams, a Renzo black belt. I lost by a single guard pass. Admittedly, it was a boring as **** match and he clearly dominated me, but hey, what the hell! Negative thinking will absolutely get you nowhere.

I don't have video of that tournament, unfortunately. Or maybe somebody does but I don't know who. :-) I wish I did because my first match was better.

However, if you run a you tube search for merryprankster76, you can find several videos I've posted, including the one where I trip and fall out of the ring while boxing with Apowyn. You could also try a you tube search with my name (James Valentine) and BJJ, but there I haven't tried that.

As far as my level, it's not something I advertise. I'm a brown belt under Ralph Gracie now, formerly with Lloyd Irvin (Coast Guard moved me), and have done rather well in national and international level competitions. At least, that's true now, ever since I got my head straight.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I'm not down on myself. And I'll match fists or free play (fists and ground) with anyone... because you never know. But straight jiu-jitsu, there's just so much I still don't know, that cats at your level have my number.

It's OK. I'm in no rush. Having fun learning. I plan on winning my division next week. Both gi and no gi.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    However, if you run a you tube search for merryprankster76, you can find several videos I've posted, including the one where I trip and fall out of the ring while boxing with Apowyn. .

congrats on the notoriety

looked for the clip of you and Ap...couldn't find...is that recent or old?

need to find email for him and see how he's doing.

on a minor side note...just started hanging out and training back at my JJJ teacher's place but in the mma class they have going on...this past week when asked if I was going to compete in some NAGA stuff with them I was like 'der, ya, sure, me like...'

i'm too old for that but I'm also too stupid to give up yet...so, we'll see...at least they have old **** categories...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The clip of MP falling out of the ring? Classic.

Congratulations James and it sounds like you're having fun. can't beat that. And there's nothing wrong with shameless bragging or self-promotion if ya got the goods.
    I gotta catch up on your videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tia6wy0fvs

FWIW, I just got back from Baby Rogue's first tourny, he's not a starter so was rasslin exhibition. Darn kid was up on points both times but lack of experience did him in (pinned both times). But still not bad considering he's been rasslin for only a few weeks and both of his opponents were two years older with more experience.

Oso, talk about age, Little Rogue went though a growth spurt, grew some arms and legs and the brat took dad down hard. I'm actually learning a few grappling things from him.
    Last edited by rogue; 12-05-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.