Thread: Extreme Frustration

Extreme Frustration

So last night (at about 1 30 in the morning, after eating an omelet from IHOP) I decided I just HAD to practice with my chain whip.

So whilst I'm practicing I get to my favorite part: when you throw the chain under a high crescent kick with a spin three times in a row. I always get excited at this point (weirdo - I know), and go into the first kick with extreme enthusiasm.

Kick one: Pretty good....
    Kick two: Hmm....that was strange....
    Kick three: WTF happened? What was that, and I hope no one saw that?

After the third kick I stop; I can't figure out what went wrong. So I try again it again and bolluck it up AGAIN. I must've tried to do this part correctly 15 more times before I turned it in.

What I'm getting at is, does anyone else ever have these frustrations when it comes to forms, or weapons? You know its something you can do, you do it all the time...but sometimes you just don't get it right and it frustrates the crap out of you!

Needless to say once I get off work I'm going to try this again and again....it just....well sucks.

practice is the only way to get better.
    enjoy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No doubt. I think where my main frustration comes from is the fact I've been doing the same routine and practicing, rather regularly, the same movements and manipulations for four years....for it to leave me all of sudden.

Its just....where did you go? And you didn't leave a note...when are you coming back?

I miss you....

I used to not be able to stand on my surf board. Then I couldn't turn it.

Now I'm inside, outside, over, under, upsidedown on waves with my board. BUT, there are those days when I'm just so excited, not thinking about the board or anything. Just me flying. Those are the best days.

But my worst days now are better then the best days from even 6 months ago. Verdad.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sometimes we take our own skills for granted. We work hard to develop a skill (or worse yet, we develop it without working hard) and then we rest on our laurels. We think, "I've got it" and don't need to constantly work it. This happens with people who "walk through" their forms, doing shortened half motions as they visualize their set. What happens is they are actually training. They are developing neuropathways, and when they need to their bodies will react the way they trained-short,half-movements,sloppy. Add adreneline into the equation.
    Always train with total concentration, total effort. Never do anything half-as$ed.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Avoid eating at IHOP before practising.

Seriously, food in the belly can mess with your Qi.

Best example I know of is a dog race that was fixed... a group of scammers fed the top dog a bunch of bratwurst before the race, hoping the second best would beat him as a result. The trick worked too well... the top dog came in near last, an investigation was launched... scam didn't work. Still, it goes to show that food can alter performance.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Avoid eating at IHOP before practising.
    Re-phrase....

Avoid eating at IHop... (full stop)

A person can eat where and what they can afford.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And some days it just doesn't work for you. Nothing to do with you, what you ate, or anything. It just doesn't work sometimes.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Food

I've not problems with IHOP.

Whether working out or practicing, I personally need something in my stomach. One time I worked out on an empty stomach and I started to black out...it was like looking at tv fuzz.

But of course, leave enough time before the workout and obviously don't eat right before a tough workout.

As far as practicing, whether forms or weapons, I find that I concentrate better when I have eaten something.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

look into monitoring your blood sugar levels and hypoglycemia. Time your meals, get enough protien and slow burning complex carbs to avoid spiking and the drop that follows.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    For a guy who doesn't put much stock in the horse stance, you must be doing it a lot on the surf board and getting lots of benefit from the core strength involved in balance and turning. Snow boarders and surfers make some of the best martial artists.

I think horse stance the way I was FORCED to hold it in karate and kung fu is damaging to the knees. I think doing 10 jumps as high as you can, pulling your knees to your ears and then landing into a low wrestling stance, with a straight back, and holding it for 2 minutes.... repeat for three sets.... is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I think horse stance the way I was FORCED to hold it in karate and kung fu is damaging to the knees. I think doing 10 jumps as high as you can, pulling your knees to your ears and then landing into a low wrestling stance, with a straight back, and holding it for 2 minutes.... repeat for three sets.... is awesome.
    two things;
    1) quite often, things are done for centuries because they were beneficial. Take Yoga. Many fitness "expert," the ones who create the certifications, such as AFFA, ACE, etc maintain that hyperextension of the back is bad for the spine, as it compacts the vertebres. Many of these restrictions are in place so that the health clubs are not liable for injuries incurred by witless people who are not in touch with their bodies and throw themselves into a fitness routine, step class, aerobics, etc. then sue the gym. If this was really bad for you, don't you think yoga would have died out eons ago? But also realize that yoga, like MA was meant to be taught one on one through direct transmission and not to a large class of overweight, out of shape dilletantes.

2)Did it occur to you that perhaps some of your previous teachers knew alot less than they would have you think?
    Many students put their teachers up on pedestals, and hang on their every word as gospel.
    Many teachers don't know much more than a handful of forms, some applications, drills, a few concepts (maybe) and have some skill.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.