Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dai nim tao

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    No Jim. Pin=slant, Juk=side! I'm sure we've had this chat before?
    Spencer,

Is juk = zak ()?

- http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...p?q=%B0%BC
    zak does mean "side" but funnily enough can also mean slant/incline.

Pin - definitely means slanted though.
    http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B0%BE

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Spencer,

Is juk = zak ()?

- http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B0%BC
    zak does mean "side" but funnily enough can also mean slant/incline.

Pin - definitely means slanted though.
    http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B0%BE
    I really need the chinese add-on to see the characters!! The links don't seem to work for me either...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I really need the chinese add-on to see the characters!! The links don't seem to work for me either...
    You should be available to see them via your browser. You may need to change the page encoding.

Firefox: View -> Character Encoding -> More Encodings -> East Asian -> Chinese traditional (Big5)

IE: View -> Encoding -> More -> Chinese traditional (Big5)

Hello,

I couldn't see the characters!

Same problem!

The kulo people refer to:

Pin as Side, Half Slice, Half Body, Angle Body etc.. The slant refers to the bodies twisting/angle. In other words. Side Facing versus Square Facing (san chin) theory!

Juk is what we call the WC systems that the body "lean back" or slant back a bit like the leaning tower of piza. Other than that, the word Juk has never been used for anything else from our lineage and we typically, almost always, call other WC arts Jing Sun.

Spencer! You should visit the Kulo Pin Sun group in Wales. They are all former Lee Shing instructors and some still teach LS. I'm sure you would have a fun time with them and get to experience it first hand. Its a good place especially since they all had over a decade of LS training before starting/switching to Kulo boxing.

Ciao!

Just some thoughts!
    Last edited by Jim Roselando; 01-07-2009 at 07:38 AM.
    Jim

Can't think what character it could be. Does "juk" sound like the character for bamboo in Cantonese?

I uploaded a jpeg of the characters for zak and pin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17731131@N00/3177004834/
    Last edited by CFT; 01-07-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Can't think what character it could be. Does "juk" sound like the character for bamboo in Cantonese?

I uploaded a jpeg of the characters for zak and pin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17731131@N00/3177004834/
    Yep they sseem to be the characters I'm familiar with, but we all seem to have varied translations. On their own, Pien is an adjective for 'leaning towards one side' or 'being biased'!! Obviously paired with San (Body) this makes sense to us Kung Fu peeps. Juk can be a noun, verb or adj, the noun being 'the side', commonly a juk gorng is a 'flank attack' and juk moon is a 'side door'! Again, paired with san gives us our term 'side body'. I accept as a verb it can also mean 'incline' or 'lean' but I've never heard this term related to Ip Mans 'leaning body'. I've always known Ip Mans 'style' as jing san too (square body) but that's only because of the way we all learn SLT. There is another reference to the 'bow' (as in bow & arrow) from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Spencer! You should visit the Kulo Pin Sun group in Wales. They are all former Lee Shing instructors and some still teach LS. I'm sure you would have a fun time with them and get to experience it first hand. Its a good place especially since they all had over a decade of LS training before starting/switching to Kulo boxing.
    Lee Shing instructors? Do you mean Austin Gohs elder students?? I'd love to meet and train with them, but I have no wishes to 'switch'! Who do they learn Kulo Wing Chun from now? They have probably never met any of Lee Shings elder generation, so whatever they got from Uncle Austin I can guarantee is very different from what I learnt. It would be a great exchange though and I'd welcome that! ALL of Uncles students I have actually met are very polite and helpful, with outstanding physical knowledge. I don't think the language was concentrated on much though, but this is normal in most families from what I've seen.

Politics aside, if only we all laid a few skeletons to rest we might all benefit from listening a little bit more. I strongly believe that most of what Lee Shing knew still has never been shared publically and it's one of my main reasons for being here on this forum. The same can also 'definitely' be said for Ip Man as they both were very close.

I'm of a younger generation who missed all the madness of the eighties and I hope all families can learn from their mistakes and move forward together. The dedicated will always remain faithful in the long run I suppose, so we'll have to wait and see. An event was recently held here in London, organized by Uncle Austin and I heard that it went very well indeed...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 01-07-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer,

Lee Shing instructors? Do you mean Austin Gohs elder students??

Some of his Wales crew. JR

I'd love to meet and train with them, but I have no wishes to 'switch'!

Wishes to switch??? I'm just giving you an opportunity to experience something different. I could care less about converting anyone and know for sure Rob is not looking for more people. JR

Who do they learn Kulo Wing Chun from now?

Robert Stevens. JR

They have probably never met any of Lee Shings elder generation, so whatever they got from Uncle Austin I can guarantee is very different from what I learnt.

hahaha Especially with what they are doing now hahaha Go hang out with them and feel their engine. You might have fun! JR

It would be a great exchange though and I'd welcome that!

Even tho you guarantee it's not what you know? hahaha I couldn't resist!

His e-mail:

kulo pswck @ yahoo. co. uk

Feel free to post a write up on your experience.

Peace,
    Jim

Thanks for the contact Jim. I'll try to email soon.

We may be very similar, just taught in a completely different way, is what I meant. All is good!

Peace to you too.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    His e-mail:

kulo pswck @ yahoo. co. uk

Feel free to post a write up on your experience.
    I tried, but the email was bounced back as it doesn't exist

If you're in contact, please ask someone to get in touch through the email in my signature.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Hello,

We e-mail regularly and that is working fine! Of course you need to link it together. I separated it to prevent spam etc..

I will also tell him to e-mail you.

Just in case: kulopswck@yahoo.co.uk
    Jim

Just noticed I missed the 'k'!

I'll try again.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer!

I spoke with him about 5 minutes ago!

He knows you might contact him!

Jim