Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

was it a comp or class sparring, if it was a comp its his own fault if its just club sparring they are both to blame

thats the only scary thing about grappling i remember my former coach told me of a story of a guy who grappled with an over aggresive partner with an ego and he ended up getting his leg severely damaged in sparring from a leg sub

couldnt fight anymore, lost his job and nearly lost his wife as well

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    thats the only scary thing about grappling i remember my former coach told me of a story of a guy who grappled with an over aggresive partner with an ego and he ended up getting his leg severely damaged in sparring from a leg sub

couldnt fight anymore, lost his job and nearly lost his wife as well
    that’s why you find a good school and make sure everyone agrees to the same rules before sparring....I come from a gym that is well known for its grappling it wins at every tournament it enters, pros train there etc and the only injuries I have seen in about 7 years from grappling apart from sprains and a few broken fingers are from a people not tapping from chokes and going asleep, the injury rate is stupidly small because of some basic rules:

1) On the mat in sparring you are responsible for your partner’s safety, if he’s not tapping move to another move
    2) We tell all the new guys to tap, its better to tapand learn than get injured and not train for weeks
    3) Apply pressure slowly and evenly and let go completely when he taps
    4) Only straight leg locks are allowed in sparring and only with experienced people, twisting legs locks are trained but only with someone you trust and never really put on tightly (more injuries come from leg locks than anything else)
    5) If a new guy or a visitor is going to heavy they are fed to one of us that has competed nd doesn’t mind showing someone what happens if they don’t behave

It was a competition guys, and many think compression locks are only pain compliant. Homie found out the hard way!

JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Looked to me like there was no pain and that he was searching for an escape but the forearm just snapped due to pressure. It was a surprise to both of them. Didn't even break at a joint so they were both like "wtf"!?

Kinda like the MT guys breaking the shin when getting checked or the checking guy breaking his own shin.

I blame it on a lack of drinking milk.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    that’s why you find a good school and make sure everyone agrees to the same rules before sparring....I come from a gym that is well known for its grappling it wins at every tournament it enters, pros train there etc and the only injuries I have seen in about 7 years from grappling apart from sprains and a few broken fingers are from a people not tapping from chokes and going asleep, the injury rate is stupidly small because of some basic rules:

1) On the mat in sparring you are responsible for your partner’s safety, if he’s not tapping move to another move
    2) We tell all the new guys to tap, its better to tapand learn than get injured and not train for weeks
    3) Apply pressure slowly and evenly and let go completely when he taps
    4) Only straight leg locks are allowed in sparring and only with experienced people, twisting legs locks are trained but only with someone you trust and never really put on tightly (more injuries come from leg locks than anything else)
    5) If a new guy or a visitor is going to heavy they are fed to one of us that has competed nd doesn’t mind showing someone what happens if they don’t behave
    i agree compeletly its amazing that such incredibly severe injuries happen simply due to ego or stupidty rather i dotn see why you woudl be willing to sacrifice your limbs to save face

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Well, I guess the guy on top was a brown belt, and the guy on bottom was blue. Brown belt definitely should have known better and tapped.
    I doubt he was a brown belt. The counter is pretty simple and he should have known it if he was brown belt level.

BTW, it was a competition... in competition, it is tap or snap.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 04-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Dale what exactly was going on there? It looks like the top guy just moved to a side control and the bottom guy got the forearm in some sort of triangle?

I can't tell from the video how the arm is controled...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

It is a bicep lock / slice. Puts pressure on the joint separating the hinge joint, but sometimes if the shin is on the forearm more it can actually snap the radius or ulna. Didn't it happen to Tim Silvia years back?? **** poor memory, sorry.
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    It is a bicep lock / slice. Puts pressure on the joint separating the hinge joint, but sometimes if the shin is on the forearm more it can actually snap the radius or ulna. Didn't it happen to Tim Silvia years back?? **** poor memory, sorry.
    JAB
    i have heard this happening before but its a freak thing thats true

That was a nice submission.

But it was unfortunate one had to get injured from it.

In all great move!

Another leg break

I am cannibalizing this thread for leg breaks.
    Video: Tyrone Spong suffers brutal leg break in GLORY 15 tourney final
    By MMAjunkie Staff April 13, 2014 9:15 am

Tyrone Spong‘s night ended early on Saturday in a vicious near-carbon copy of Anderson Silva’s broken leg this past December.

In a kickboxing rematch against Gokhan Saki at GLORY 15 in Istanbul, Spong threw a kick to Saki’s left leg. Saki checked the kick, and Spong’s lower right leg broke immediately and he fell to the canvas.

The injury happened a little more than 90 seconds into their light heavyweight tournament final. Even before the referee could officially wave the fight off, Saki was over to the fallen Spong to comfort him.

There was no immediate word on just what kind of recovery time Spong might be looking at. But almost certainly, his near future for World Series of Fighting will be put on hold. In MMA, Spong is 2-0 and was expected to return in July at WSOF 11.

At GLORY 15, Spong had a hard-fought battle against Saulo Cavalari in the tournament semifinals, but took a unanimous decision to reach the final against Saki, the home favorite. The two first met in 2009, a fight won by Saki with a knockout in the fourth round in Japan.

The TKO loss for Spong, who trains in South Florida with the Blackzilians team, was his first kickboxing setback since a decision loss to Alistair Overeem at the K-1 World Grand Prix in 2010.

It also came at a tough time for the Dutch fighter, personally. He has been coping with the recent murders of a former coach and an uncle. But Spong told MMAjunkie earlier this month he had no plans to cancel his spot in the tournament.

Check out the video below showing Spong’s leg break from the vantage point of a fan in Istanbul.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It is good to have thick muscular legs when you are kicking with the shin bone . my legs are thin so i dont use the shine bone kick no way .

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    It is good to have thick muscular legs when you are kicking with the shin bone . my legs are thin so i dont use the shine bone kick no way .
    It's not gonna help you because no one has any muscles where these people break their legs. However it's good if your opponent has a muscular leg.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 05-02-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Sidemar Honorio vs. Matt Lozano

I just changed the title of this thread from "Nasty leg break from last night's fights" to "Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches". Hope you don't mind, MK.

Sunday, 09/14/2014, 10:40 am
    Fighter’s Arm Shatters After Devastating Body Kick

In this .GIF we see Sidemar Honorio kicking Matt Lozano in the body so hard that Lozano’s forearm shatters. This brutal kick took place at World Series of Fighting this past weekend.

Ouch!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart